Your question

Curiosity regarding Blizzard

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Blizzard
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
December 8, 2012 11:56:16 AM

A recent post has me curious. I was a Blizzard fiend for a long time (still play D2 religiously) and reluctantly gave up on them when their new anti-piracy precautions began showing up with SC 2 and then Diablo 3; if I pay $50 I want the actual game, not permission to log on and play it, but thats just me. My questions is, are their precautions and policies effective? A lot of forums say Blizzard had to do what they did while many others claim it only hurts the customer and barely even actually slows down pirates. I've also read that it is has nothing to do with security and is just the start of a process to make Battlenet completely "pay per play". I'm just a simple button masher and I'd like to know the opinions of the actual experts in here. Thanks. Sorry for being long-winded.

More about : curiosity blizzard

December 8, 2012 12:27:37 PM

It's very effective. Starcraft 2 got released 2.5 years ago and there's still isn't a working pirated version. Diablo III isn't getting cracked either. Finally World of Warcraft is available only as two expansions old game for pirates.
m
l
December 8, 2012 1:42:09 PM

WoW i used to play a lot on private servers, hosted my share as well, only current blizzard game that can be pirated compeltely with minor issues.

starcraft 2 there is a way to load up the game for single play vs AI, which gets boring quickly. and D3 there is a working local server but only to run around with no spawns unless you do it yourself and it again is pointless other than a sandbox.

i believe that the migration to battle.net for all their games is great, i can now keep all my keys on my account and download the games if i ever need to re-install. everything is just tied in to my battle.net login (newer games anyway) for log in's and i can just use a key program on my phone for added security.

honestly, if you play by the rules and dont hack or pirate you would be fine with the EULA from blizzard, i dont really see how it hinders the consumer. i mean if they started to charge for the B.Net service then that would be going too far. but the intergration of Battle.net I personally found has been very good and just makes everything easier.
m
l
December 8, 2012 2:16:57 PM

Its main problem is when they do updates and things go wrong. Then you can't play when you wanted to and oddly enough, when I can't play a game when I wanted to log on, I seem to want to play it more than ever. lol.

My biggest fear is that Blizzard is selling out for cash grabs. Diablo 3 whole design seemed based around people buying gear to advance. Hopefully this was a 1 time deal and they learned their lesson, but it does give me pause about future games.

Diablo 3 still isn't a bad game. It is actually quite good, but try to avoid getting sucked into purchasing your gear to advance and you may want to stop after getting deep into Inferno difficulty.
m
l
December 8, 2012 3:06:46 PM

bystander said:
My biggest fear is that Blizzard is selling out for cash grabs. Diablo 3 whole design seemed based around people buying gear to advance. Hopefully this was a 1 time deal and they learned their lesson, but it does give me pause about future games.

Diablo 3 still isn't a bad game. It is actually quite good, but try to avoid getting sucked into purchasing your gear to advance and you may want to stop after getting deep into Inferno difficulty.

that is a big thing i hate about D3, they should leave that for the F2P MMO's to buy stuff for cash. it just ruins it for everyone else that can only afford the game and they have to work their ass off to get all the gear and then there are these people just buying it all. i think they should have two seperate account types, and servers. those that want the option to buy and sell items for real cash and those that do not.
m
l
December 14, 2012 2:09:20 PM

Blizzard did the real money auction house to deter people from what they did in D2 with rune selling.

It's actually quite genious, i believe they take a 10-15% cut from the actual aucton and then another 30% if you cash out, i could be wrong but i really didn't see a lot that i could have bought anyways.

Blizzard has been a fantastic company, i'm just sad activision hooked up with them
m
l
December 14, 2012 2:12:51 PM

Serthy said:
Blizzard did the real money auction house to deter people from what they did in D2 with rune selling.

Uh, not quite. Blizzard did the Real Money Auction House to make money on the equivalent of rune selling for themselves. Not to preserve some kind of honest gameplay. You're projecting a gamer's motives onto a corporation. It's important to make the distinction between the two, because of the myriad implications that come with either.
m
l
December 14, 2012 2:28:06 PM

casualcolors said:
Uh, not quite. Blizzard did the Real Money Auction House to make money on the equivalent of rune selling for themselves. Not to preserve some kind of honest gameplay. You're projecting a gamer's motives onto a corporation. It's important to make the distinction between the two, because of the myriad implications that come with either.

As far as from a business standpoint it makes sense why they would want to deter it and take a hefty cut of the profits from selling items in d3.

From a gamers perspective selling an item on d3 isn't exactly a great way to make money if your approaching it from a grind out farming standpoint. In d2 you could bot and have a ton of runes, sell them on a website and boom profit. Easy business model.

Now you get hit with a %age of what your selling and a %age from the cashout, so why would a gamer want to sell items for real money when blizzard going to take most of the profits.

Maybe i was just looking at it from a different perspective, i mean if i was blizzard i would want to take most of the profits from something that i created rather then take it in the shorts like they did in d2.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/131615-diablo-3-the-b...

Good article, but also open to interpretation, i don't think blizzard would want to kill the game i just think it's more of a deter because who really needs in game money when you can just farm it.
m
l
December 14, 2012 2:32:32 PM

Serthy said:

It's actually quite genious, i believe they take a 10-15% cut from the actual aucton and then another 30% if you cash out, i could be wrong but i really didn't see a lot that i could have bought anyways.

Blizzard has been a fantastic company, i'm just sad activision hooked up with them

The big difference between d2 and d3 (though they have made modifications since release), is that d2 let you advance your character's abilities, making gear less an issue. D3 only had gear advancements and the only way to get you through the game.
m
l
December 14, 2012 2:36:04 PM

Serthy said:
As far as from a business standpoint it makes sense why they would want to deter it and take a hefty cut of the profits from selling items in d3.

From a gamers perspective selling an item on d3 isn't exactly a great way to make money if your approaching it from a grind out farming standpoint. In d2 you could bot and have a ton of runes, sell them on a website and boom profit. Easy business model.

Now you get hit with a %age of what your selling and a %age from the cashout, so why would a gamer want to sell items for real money when blizzard going to take most of the profits.

Maybe i was just looking at it from a different perspective, i mean if i was blizzard i would want to take most of the profits from something that i created rather then take it in the shorts like they did in d2.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/131615-diablo-3-the-b...

Good article, but also open to interpretation, i don't think blizzard would want to kill the game i just think it's more of a deter because who really needs in game money when you can just farm it.

Just something to consider, but if they wanted to maintain a positive and honest gaming environment they might have worked more diligently to close all of the loopholes that allow duping presently, and allowed duping in the past in Diablo 2.

The reality is that duping still happens in the game and Blizzard are heavily suspected of altering drop rates to affect market values and increase the money they earn through their % of the take (which they double dip on both the listing and the sale). The fact is that it hasn't really created the environment that one could hope in a perfect world that it may, and instead has just been a new way to exploit gamers in an innocuous way, luring them into microtransactions that they probably would not have participated in otherwise.

Add to all of this the fact that a lot of people do not receive the items they try to purchase (which has Blizzard under investigation for wire fraud), and that Blizzard was not transparent about locking people into "blizzard-bucks" if they did not attach a paypal to their account, and what you have is one of the scummiest moves in recent gaming on the part of a developer.
m
l
!