Far Cry 3: is my frame rate supposed to be this bad?

dp777

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2012
Hi all- I'm new to posting, read a lot of posts related to q's I have to see if I can figure things out first. I've been a little gun-shy about posting because I'm not super facile with computer hardware. Looked around on lots of posts- couldn't really answer my q I thought I'd see what others think.

I'm basically wondering if my system getting about 24 FPS on medium settings in Far Cry 3 is what I should expect, because that's where I'm at.

Things I've tried:

-turning off almost every other program running I can think would help (antivirus programs, etc)
-installing the newest beta drivers and application profiles
-using CC cleaner to remove older drivers
-disabling depth of field, as suggested by others elsewhere
-flipping between DX 9, DX 11
-turning all the in game graphic tweak sliders down to low, working my way up a little at a time. On low I get like 30, not a huge difference.
-overclocking my GPU- read a little about it, tried a little, made the game freeze, stopped trying that
-changing resolution- doesn't seem to matter much if I play 1900x1200 or 1440x900, maybe 3 FPS different. Does that point towards maybe a cpu bottleneck?

I haven't had problems with other games- though I remember Allan Wake was noticeably hard for my computer too. Not that I can usually put everything way up on ultra in games, but usually not stuck in low/medium.

I'm coming to the conclusion that maybe that's just where my system is at, even though when I look at sites that benchmark my GPU in far cry, I should be getting way higher framerates on higher settings.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

thanks,
-D

Solution
Also,update your GPU drivers to the latest/beta if they state a performance gain on the game.
In another note,your system is not that powerful,I recommend you try the following:
-Download a little program called "End it all".It closes the processes you which to close.Run it before starting the game and it will close everything you want.You just need the anti-virus and firewall running.It wont close Windows critical processes.
-Download Razer Game Booster.Configure it so that it closes everything except explorer.exe and the anti-virus.
-Drag the game shortcut to Razer Game Booster.
-Launch the game through game booster.

See if there is an increase of FPS.

I can't think of anything else other than a system upgrade to boost FPS and even...

iGGY-101

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
What are your system specs?
But I can assure you that this frame rate is coming from poor optimization for the port. Because they port the game from console, they don't really put too much effort into optimizing the game for performance, therefore giving you seedy frame rate.
It might be a CPU bottleneck? Depending on your computer specifications....

dp777

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2012
apologies, I thought it was going to paste in with my signature, but for some reason it didn't. My specs:

Intel i7 870 @ 2.93
Sapphire HD 6870
Win 7, x64
16gb RAM
Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3

iGGY-101

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Yeah, definitely the port bugs. For now just sit tight and wait until they release game patches/updates to fix performance issues. This always happens when they port a console game to PC, they put hardly any effort in to actually making it work until after the game is released. Its pathetic.

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Also,update your GPU drivers to the latest/beta if they state a performance gain on the game.
In another note,your system is not that powerful,I recommend you try the following:
-Download a little program called "End it all".It closes the processes you which to close.Run it before starting the game and it will close everything you want.You just need the anti-virus and firewall running.It wont close Windows critical processes.
-Download Razer Game Booster.Configure it so that it closes everything except explorer.exe and the anti-virus.
-Drag the game shortcut to Razer Game Booster.
-Launch the game through game booster.

See if there is an increase of FPS.

I can't think of anything else other than a system upgrade to boost FPS and even that can fail if the problem is mostly due to the poor game porting.
You should find out first if the CPU is bottlenecking your GPU,it does seem so.In that case a better OC will help you better.
Still using enditall with gamebooster is excelent,it frees up ram,closes unwanted processes and launches the game as priority.I always use that.

Solution

dp777

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2012
ok, thanks, I'll try that stuff. I read a benchmarking article where they got way better FPS with my gpu, so I figured there was something else with my system.

Is OC overclock? I've been afraid of trying that- I use my computer a lot for other things and didn't want to get in over my head only to have things get f'd up. Every time I look into doing that the amount of disclaimers on the "for beginners" articles is rough. Any good reasonably priced processors that would make a worthwhile improvement?

thanks again,
-D

update: got End it All and Game Booster going- cool programs. Unfortunately didn't notice much change with Far Cry 3, but probably it will help with other games. In a way it's good to know that it's not something I'm doing wrong.

iGGY-101

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Yes "OC" is Overclock. You really don't need to overclock unless you are aiming to achieve some sort of benchmark score or performance need, or even unless you are just doing it for fun and experience or just to see how much you can OC. If you really need/want one of those, then try it out! There are tons of Youtube videos and aaaaalot of forums to help you, remember to do your CPU/GPU research before overclocking though - some don't go as far as others etc, but you might already know that.

As for now, if we are talking Far Cry 3 here... Wait till performance patches etc are released and see how much performance you have there, if you need more hence not being satisfied, then look into overclocking. Usually you will probably only squeeze 5-10 more frames per second, not that I have done any intense overclocking.

Also, another thing! This is probably not the case, because I am positive about the port issues but I am only writing this as this as I just noticed a poor performance on my computer so I just cleaned it out and fixed the air flow inside, there was soooo much dust! Dust build up inside the computer really increases heat in there, and heat slows everything down. Although, you would notice this change in overall performance (all games, desktop etc) and not just Far Cry, but it is still a good idea to keep inside clean. Try that out if you are noticing performance decreases over time! :)

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
I have really bad performance too. In order to get playable FPS, I've had to play at 1600 x 900 at medium settings. I still barely get 30. I wouldn't put up with it if Far Cry 3 wasn't as addicting as it is. Whatever, I've almost beat everything in it.

dp777

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2012
yeah, my signature isn't working either, but I'm new so I just figured that was the way it was.

All right- thanks for all the tips everyone! much appreciated.

-D