LG VX4600 3-way calling

I recently needed to start using 3-way calling a little more than
usual, and I am dismayed by what seems to me to be an odd feature of
the vx4600. In order to initiate a 3-way call you do not, while on with
the first call, hit Send before dialing the second number. Instead, you
just dial the second number and hit send.

Problem is, the caller currently on the line hears those annoying
tones. Even if I turn the keytone volume off, they hear them. It sounds
rather unprofessional and somewhat jarring to the first user!

Any suggestions, or any advice above and beyond the "you're out of
luck" that I have heard from verizon?

I may have found an answer to my own question, albeit not the best
approach in my opinion.... Still, I thought I'd post it in case anyone
is looking for an answer to the same question:

While you are on with caller 1, you can select Options | Key Tones and
select "None." This will silence the key tones for the current call
only. Then, the clicking of the key tones is a dull thud rather than
the actual tone. And even the thud can be relieved by Muting.