BrianMJC

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2003
Hey all - I was wondering what your thoughts are regarding cpu shims for protecting your cpus? Whether you consider them worthwhile or not. I'll be using Arctic Silver III therm cpd with ThermalRight AX-7 heatsink and Thermaltake Smart Fan 2 on my Athlon 2500+ xp. I'm going for a conservative 10% to 20% performance boost for this, my first overclock, and I haven't setup yet (very soon!). :D

Thanks. :)

FO_SHO

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
cheap insurance is what a shim does. Personally I would get one if it's particularly heavy. I used them on the comps I made. For ~$10 why not??

mister_e

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2003
I've heard arguments that they increase your temps, but it seems unlikely to me. I would get one only if you are worried about installing your heatsink. But I don't think you will see any kind of performance increase or decrease.

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
yeah they can increase temps b/c they keep pressure off of the cpu core, but if you're gonna be moving your computer around, or if you really don't trust yourself installing a heatsink and you think you'll crack the core, then go for it

<A HREF="http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/ayb2.swf" target="_new">411 UR 84$3 R 8310N6 2 U$</A>

I've never used a shim, never cracked a core, Personally I don't see the need for them.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

LCARS

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2002
Yeah, those cores are designed to handle 20lbs (9Kg) of force during <i>normal</i> operation, so the odds of cracking a core are remote as long as you don't turn into the Hulk because the HSF won't go on. (HAHAHAHA! I made a pop-culture joke! Heee)

I got a shim packaged with my 2600+, but I felt that it was flimsy and useless so I threw it away.