dinkster9

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
I have an asus a7n8x dx 2.0 mb with a 2500+ barton. I'm currently running at 200x11.5 = 2.30ghz. Ran a 16841 3dmark2001 and a 5006 3dmark2003. My ram voltage is at 2.8 and my cpu voltage is at 1.85 (maxed for my board without modifications). My question is that after running prime 95 for a while (say 1 hr) my temps are around 55'C according to asus probe (which i hear is under actual tempretures). Idle my temps are around 43'C. Is this okay, what's max before i should worry? is my cpu about to join the devil?...lol. I have 5 case fans with round cables and a very good cpu fan, ...don't think i could get any better cooling with air. Running at stock speeds, my temps idle around 40'C and max around 45'C...so going up 10'C under extreme overclocking doesn't seem too bad. What do you guys/gals think, should i ease back a bit? is there a threashold that the cpu shouldn't go over for any period of time temp wise?

"sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick"
*grabs a stick and places it into the flames; mmmm, smores*
%Think before you act would be a good motto%

svol

Champion
55 C isn't bad as it is your full load temp, if you want to check if Asus Anal Probe is telling the truth just download MBM 5 and see what it reports.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek:

RivetHead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2003
55c aint bad at all under load.
I'd worry at 70c, 75c and you'd be pushing the bar... 80c and you'll see smoke <g>
I got the same set-up, except wihout OC'ing and my sys Idles at 50c, 60c under load. Hot, but no sweat... Barton 2500 burns at 80c

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Doesn't the asus board over volt a little bit? Whats the actual cpu voltage? If you'r hitting say 1.89 volts at 55C full load is a little hot but nothing serious.

I backed down from 2.3ghz lately as its getting into the middle of summer and its going into the 60's on 1.925 volts so I decided to do a "cool mod" to the case, a HSF duct I think its called and I run the cpu at 2.25ghz on 1.825 volts and I got the temps down to 51C full load with the fan on medium setting (ultra quiet compared to before)...

I'm kinda unlucky I have to raise the voltage a lot past 2.25ghz to get the higher speeds. 1.925 volts for 2.3ghz and 2 whole volts just for 2.333ghz! I havn't lost too much performance going down 50mhz in cpu speed and the pay off for noise/temperature and cpu life is well worth it :D

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=945569" target="_new"> MY RIG </A>
<font color=red> 120% overclocker </font color=red> (cheapskate)

dinkster9

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
2 questions: say you run your retail barton at 100'C until it fries....is it still covered under the warentee? secondly, if the cpu overheats and dies a nice quick death, is my MB toast as well?...er doesn't the asus nforce 2 boards offer some sort of thermal heat protection, ie: if the cpu is at the stage of being so hot (possibly from cpu cooler dying) that is going to fry, ain't the MB supposed to turn the computer off?

"sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick"
*grabs a stick and places it into the flames; mmmm, smores*
%Think before you act would be a good motto%

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
It would only take 70 or 80C to "fry" a barton. Your overclocking it so its a 50/50 wether the place you got it from will accept a burnt cpu.
The motherboard socket may be damaged but again that depends how hot you let the components get.

There should be options in bios for a warning temp and a shutdown temp. I set my warning at 66C and shut off at 70C.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=945569" target="_new"> MY RIG </A>
<font color=red> 120% overclocker </font color=red> (cheapskate)

svol

Champion
say you run your retail barton at 100'C until it fries....is it still covered under the warentee?
Only if you used the HSF and thermal paste it came with.

But non real OC'er does that and the risk to burn your CPU if you be carefull is very very small.

soulprovider

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
I've found that running under load in the mid 50's is the point where any athlon I've had has started to become unstable when overclocking. They're fine at that temp stock speed.

Bear in mind though that this is what I've found with all other chips but not with the Barton which I havn't had the pleasure of owning yet.

When the CPU's are speed graded they have to pass their tests up to the maximum temperature that AMD guarantees. The resistance of electrical circuits increases with heat therefore a number of chips that failed at high temperature will run fine cooler but still have to be downgraded. Thats why it's important to keep overclocked chips cooler in regards to stability.

I therefore try to keep my chips under 50 Celsius when OC'ing and a good 24hour run of Prime95 seperates the good from the not so good.

<b>Vorsprung durch Dontwerk</b>.....<i>as they say at VIA</i>

sporkinum

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003
I don't know about bartons, but I had a brain fart and put my heatsink on backwards on a XP1700+. It hit 82C and never crashed nor burnt after 4 days of abuse. After I fixed the problem, my temps are around 45C. AMD rates the chips to 90C.

svol

Champion
Well I wonder if that was a accurate reading. Because although the CPUs burn at 90 C, they often get unstable at 65-70 C.

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
doesn't the asus nforce 2 boards offer some sort of thermal heat protection, ie: if the cpu is at the stage of being so hot (possibly from cpu cooler dying) that is going to fry, ain't the MB supposed to turn the computer off?

the A7N8X Bios offer the possibility to turn off the computer as soon as the CPU reach an assigned value (auto/manual).
I set this value to 70° C

______________________ <font color=red>A straight line never ends……………….until it comes up against a vicious circle</font color=red>

svol

Champion
My Epox 8K5A2+ has this setting too and it is a KT333 chipset... I think most modern boards (KT333 and up) support such a function.