Your question

Good space combat game?

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
December 9, 2012 3:36:47 AM

Just wanted to see some alternatives. I'm currently hooked on Evochron: Mercenary, but feel kind of limited as to the size of ship I can fly. I know about the X series. I just don't like the sextor based "open world". Might pick it up on Steam if it goes on a nice sale. I have een looking into Freespace 2, with a *** ton of mods in it. Any suggestions?

More about : good space combat game

December 9, 2012 4:06:14 AM

freelancer is old but still worth a look. there are a few others but most of them are aging badly. there is a new space sim comming soon from the makers of wing commander. should be here sometime next year if he gets the backing he needs.

http://spacesimcentral.com/index.html check out this site for more suggestions they even have demos and downloads of abandon ware games.
m
l
December 9, 2012 5:06:07 AM

1000 years from now, when we are all pushing up daisys, and the world is a far different and quite possibly unrecognizable planet from the one it is now, Tie Fighter will STILL be the best space combat sim ever.

FYI: For those who never noticed this, be sure to check out the docking bay of X-Wing on December 25th!
m
l
Related resources
December 9, 2012 6:28:57 AM

FreeSpace 2 is quite good, and still has a very active modding community because Volition released the game's source code back in 2002. The community have made many updates to the game engine and have upgraded the graphics to a much more modern standard. At the very least be sure to pick up FreeSpace 2 open and the MediaVP packs that update the graphics.

As said above, Freelancer is also decent, though I don't think it is on any digital distribution services, so finding a legitimate copy might be a bit difficult.
m
l
December 9, 2012 11:58:50 AM

As said above, Freelancer is also decent, though I don't think it is on any digital distribution services, so finding a legitimate copy might be a bit difficult.[/quotemsg]

Jewel case copies of Freelancer are readily available (Amazon has it for $10 as I'm writing this). No bells and whistles ie cool packaging and foldouts but they are legitimate copies and it's still a great game. It's Freespace 2 I can't find at a reasonable price. I severely scratched one of the install disc a few years back but I'm not forking over $90 for a replacement.

It should be noted Freelancer can be a tad "odd" or people used to the standard 'Wing Commander/Freespace' model. 90% of the flying and all of the combat are completely done with the mouse. Once I got use to that I actually prefered it.

If you like Freelancer, check out Dark Star 1. The ship variety is a huge step back from Freelancer, but the graphics are WAY better.
m
l
December 9, 2012 1:00:08 PM

Freespace 2 is still interesting me thee most. I have seen the videos of that game being made by the creator of wing commander. If that thing isn't sweet with $6.5 mil in community funding I swear... But as for Freelance and Dark Star 1, something just turns me off. Both seem EXTREMELY linear, I mean is there even any free-roam? Even if Dark Star is free roam, don't thunk I'd like it. Is there the ability to pilot, not command, large capital ships in Free space 2 or Freelancer?
m
l
December 9, 2012 1:05:25 PM

I think you will fall in love with game "Faster than light"
It is real time rogue like space game !
m
l
December 9, 2012 1:14:49 PM

digrs said:
I think you will fall in love with game "Faster than light"
It is real time rogue like space game !

I have seen FTL, looks alright. I myself am looking for a 3D sim that you pilot your own ship, not exactly a RTS.
m
l
December 9, 2012 1:15:06 PM

Poltregeist said:
Freespace 2 is still interesting me thee most. I have seen the videos of that game being made by the creator of wing commander. If that thing isn't sweet with $6.5 mil in community funding I swear... But as for Freelance and Dark Star 1, something just turns me off. Both seem EXTREMELY linear, I mean is there even any free-roam? Even if Dark Star is free roam, don't thunk I'd like it. Is there the ability to pilot, not command, large capital ships in Free space 2 or Freelancer?

I can only speak in terms of campaign play, which makes my input one step above autistic, but Freelancer is probably the most open ended space combat sim you will find, unless you want to go even further back in time to Independence War 2. It really is akin to GTA 3+. There are certain missions that will progress the storey but it's easy enough to avoid activating those (sometimes you have to untill you can snag a better ship/equipment) which allows you all the time in the world to roam around trading and robbing. BE WARNED: The game is very territorial!!! I had to download an allegiance chart. If you aggrivate the wrong group, not only do they put a bounty on your head, all of their allies put a bounty on your head. First time I played I accidentally got half the known galaxy on my a$$ after firing on a tiny little scout ship. I had to start over as I was barred from most docks and the jump gates kept opening fire on me!
m
l
December 9, 2012 1:37:52 PM

tinyE said:
I can only speak in terms of campaign play, which makes my input one step above autistic, but Freelancer is probably the most open ended space combat sim you will find, unless you want to go even further back in time to Independence War 2. It really is akin to GTA 3+. There are certain missions that will progress the storey but it's easy enough to avoid activating those (sometimes you have to untill you can snag a better ship/equipment) which allows you all the time in the world to roam around trading and robbing. BE WARNED: The game is very territorial!!! I had to download an allegiance chart. If you aggrivate the wrong group, not only do they put a bounty on your head, all of their allies put a bounty on your head. First time I played I accidentally got half the known galaxy on my a$$ after firing on a tiny little scout ship. I had to start over as I was barred from most docks and the jump gates kept opening fire on me!

Haha I will consider it! I am very much liking FS2 atm though, especially with all of the SCP mods and stuff.
m
l
December 9, 2012 9:35:50 PM

I've heard good things about planetside 2 and its free so if you don't like it you wont have wasted your money on the game.
m
l
December 9, 2012 9:41:09 PM

Mooth said:
I've heard good things about planetside 2 and its free so if you don't like it you wont have wasted your money on the game.

Already play that, and it isn't space combat. Just like on another forum of a similar topic one guy kept spamming Mass Effect 2, which also isn't space. I am looking for a game where you control a singular ship (large ones won't hurt) in space and in an open universe, basically Evochron Mercenary but with larger ships.
m
l
December 9, 2012 9:44:49 PM

Poltregeist said:
Already play that, and it isn't space combat. Just like on another forum of a similar topic one guy kept spamming Mass Effect 2, which also isn't space. I am looking for a game where you control a singular ship (large ones won't hurt) in space and in an open universe, basically Evochron Mercenary but with larger ships.

Sorry I just skimmed through the thread and I haven't even played the game my bad
m
l
December 9, 2012 10:35:41 PM

Mooth said:
Sorry I just skimmed through the thread and I haven't even played the game my bad

No problem!
m
l
December 14, 2012 1:54:41 PM

Poltregeist said:

Free Lancer is pretty much the only open world esz type of game you would be looking to play.

I played the snot out of it and even lanned it together with my buds, it was amazing :) 

m
l
December 14, 2012 5:59:52 PM

I am probably going to stick with the amazing looking Infinity that is releasing sometime next year, until then Evochron Mercenary will hold me over :D 
m
l
December 14, 2012 10:02:04 PM

tinyE said:
1000 years from now, when we are all pushing up daisys, and the world is a far different and quite possibly unrecognizable planet from the one it is now, Tie Fighter will STILL be the best space combat sim ever.

FYI: For those who never noticed this, be sure to check out the docking bay of X-Wing on December 25th!

Yes TIE Fighter is great! Maybe not one of the best games out there. A really good one would be the most realistic one. Where you could perhaps navigate an entire galaxy, travel at lightspeed whenever you want to...
m
l
January 3, 2013 6:59:09 PM

Poltregeist said:
Just wanted to see some alternatives. I'm currently hooked on Evochron: Mercenary, but feel kind of limited as to the size of ship I can fly. I know about the X series. I just don't like the sextor based "open world". Might pick it up on Steam if it goes on a nice sale. I have een looking into Freespace 2, with a *** ton of mods in it. Any suggestions?

EVE:o nline is my favorite game. Sandbox game world. Single shard universe. You can get together with anyone anywhere and do anything you want (within reason - found out early on that you can't blow up space stations that are in high security settled solar system - however, if you go out into deep space where there are no laws, you can!)

There is a 15 day free trial you can try out and see if you like it. One of the greatest features is that even though it is a pay to play game, you can play for free. There are items in-game called PLEX (Pilot License Extension) that you can buy with in-game currency that allow you to extend your game time by 30 days a pop for free.

Here are the trailers that the Devs put out:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF614A7A6461E61E1

A google or youtube search of "eve online gameplay" will show you more of the UI and gameplay. Though the trailers are made with ingame graphics (which are awesome if you ask me).

If you do decide to give it a shot, look me up. My in-game name is Raspiratadantatay. One of the biggest features of the game is the community. Flying with people literally from all around the world and working together for a common goal.
m
l
February 18, 2013 12:21:26 AM

Go with EVE ONLINE

Too much to do and too little time.

You can do whatever you want.

There are 4 races which means 4 racial ships. You, as a pilot, can fly whatever racial ship you want so long as you have the skills required for it though.
You can do PvP, from small gang (2-30) and thousand man fleet battles (like the incident in Asakai)
Do Research and Development
Be an Explorer which rewards rare items (if your lucky)
Build ships (from shuttles to Titans) and modules

There's just too much to do in EVE Online.

Viole Grace
m
l
May 30, 2013 6:54:30 AM

eve online although a great game isn't free flight. meaning all you can do is point your ship in the direction you want to go and it goes there.
for free flight I only know of a couple.
1 freelancer. best one ever for pc only.
2 starwars Galaxies. sandbox mmo and the best flight system out of all of the space mmo todate. but its shut down until projectswg gets it back up and running.
3 Freespace 2 is awesome.
4 there is a new game called Star Conflict that is really good. still in open beta but you fly the ship and theres a lot of them to chose from.
5 later this year or next year there is star citizen coming out. and all the video's I have seen its shaping up to be a pretty awesome game.

just my input. take it for what its worth but make your own decisions.
m
l
May 30, 2013 4:08:55 PM

I love planetside 2. definitely would check it out if you already havent.

Mooth said:

m
l
May 31, 2013 3:07:18 AM

A space flight simulator game is software that allows the operator to experience spacecraft space flight in outer space with the added elements of game play. There are many different types of simulators. These simulators range in purpose from pure simulation to sheer entertainment. Space flight occurs beyond the Earth's atmosphere, and space flight simulators feature the ability to roll, pitch, and yaw.
m
l
May 31, 2013 7:39:26 AM

Elite 2
m
l
June 24, 2013 12:22:39 AM

If you want to wait a bit for one (while still playing it) I suggest Kinetic Void (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seanpollman/kinetic...) It's a Sandbox space combat game which is still in an open Alpha stage (It's Version is 0.017) but you can still make any type of ship using the parts they give you and you can fly it. They still need to work on some points but it's still an Interesting game.
m
l
June 24, 2013 3:05:48 AM

You want a good space sim then look at X3AP. From small ships to Large capital ships... Trading... Station Building... Combat... And missions it has it all from what i have seen. Now you can't fully customize everything on your ship but you can put some sweet guns on it.

I have clocked over 400hrs on the previous X3TC and loved every momment. Tho when you buy more and more and more ships and stations it becomes a big micromanaging game unless you pirate people.

Its a single player game but its great and it does have a big learning curve. Had to look up allot of stuff to learn how to play it.
m
l
June 25, 2013 4:34:44 PM

This is my sugestion :
X3: Terran Conflict
Freespace 1 & 2
Black Prophecy
Dead Space
and more
You must try more space combat game on PC if you addicted to it :) 
m
l
June 25, 2013 6:38:23 PM

deadspace is a 3rd person shooter... and horror not a space combat.
I would go with X3: Albion Prelude due to more content.

I have not played BP yet how is that?
m
l
September 6, 2013 4:42:03 PM

Poltregeist said:

I agree, if possible, only buy Steam stuff on sale!
m
l