New Video Card For Presario 7110US

Any suggestions for a good video card that will work in a Compaq
Presario desktop model 7110US? I'd like to be able to play the Sims
2...that is the extent of my PC gaming.

Thanks.
-----
Kim/Dreamspinner3
Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/

hh

The 7110US comes with a 64MB GeForce 2 MX AGP card. It should handle the
Sims 2 as is.

HH

"Dreamspinner3" <dreamspinner3@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Any suggestions for a good video card that will work in a Compaq
> Presario desktop model 7110US? I'd like to be able to play the Sims
> 2...that is the extent of my PC gaming.
>
> Thanks.
> -----
> Kim/Dreamspinner3
> Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/

True, but from what I hear it plays very slowly & on the lowest quality
setting. I want to get a better card for game play. I tried emailing
HP/Compaq to get information as to what video card the MB can take but
just got an unhelpful canned reply.

HH wrote:
> The 7110US comes with a 64MB GeForce 2 MX AGP card. It should handle the
> Sims 2 as is.
>
> HH
>

> "Dreamspinner3" <dreamspinner3@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Any suggestions for a good video card that will work in a Compaq
> > Presario desktop model 7110US? I'd like to be able to play the Sims
> > 2...that is the extent of my PC gaming.
> >
> > Thanks.
> > -----
> > Kim/Dreamspinner3
> > Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/

hh

Hear? You haven't tried the game with your existing card?

HH

"dreamspinner3" <dreamspinner3@gmx.net> wrote in message
> True, but from what I hear it plays very slowly & on the lowest quality
> setting. I want to get a better card for game play. I tried emailing
> HP/Compaq to get information as to what video card the MB can take but
> just got an unhelpful canned reply.
>
> HH wrote:
>> The 7110US comes with a 64MB GeForce 2 MX AGP card. It should handle the
>> Sims 2 as is.
>>
>> HH
>>

>> "Dreamspinner3" <dreamspinner3@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Any suggestions for a good video card that will work in a Compaq
>> > Presario desktop model 7110US? I'd like to be able to play the Sims
>> > 2...that is the extent of my PC gaming.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> > -----
>> > Kim/Dreamspinner3
>> > Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/

Yes I have & it won't run. It freezes up on the EA logo.

-----
Kim/Dreamspinner3
Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/

hh

Hmmm. Well, the AGP slot won't take an 8X card,but it should take a 4X/2X
card. I would suggest an ATI Radeon card. I've used many in Presarios and
never had any compatibility issues. Crucial has some good prices on new
cards and great prices on some refurbs.

> Yes I have & it won't run. It freezes up on the EA logo.
>
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:30:20 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@kgexpress.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Hear? You haven't tried the game with your existing card?
>>
>>HH
> -----
> Kim/Dreamspinner3
> Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/

David

A Radeon 8500 based card with 128MB or more is a good 4X card for the Sims2.
Better than some of the Radeons that came after it. I put one in my mother's
Presario 5321SR and it runs Sims2 nicely. Sims2 needs hardware T&L. GeForce2
might barely run it on the lowest settings but some features will be
unavailable.

"Dreamspinner3" <dreamspinner3@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes I have & it won't run. It freezes up on the EA logo.
>
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:30:20 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@kgexpress.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Hear? You haven't tried the game with your existing card?
> >
> >HH
> -----
> Kim/Dreamspinner3
> Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/

hh

I'm using a 256MB Radeon 9200 in my Presario SR 1000Z. works great.
HH

"David" <tonka@flashmail.com> wrote in message
>A Radeon 8500 based card with 128MB or more is a good 4X card for the
>Sims2.
> Better than some of the Radeons that came after it. I put one in my
> mother's
> Presario 5321SR and it runs Sims2 nicely. Sims2 needs hardware T&L.
> GeForce2
> might barely run it on the lowest settings but some features will be
> unavailable.
>
> "Dreamspinner3" <dreamspinner3@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Yes I have & it won't run. It freezes up on the EA logo.
>>
>> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:30:20 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@kgexpress.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Hear? You haven't tried the game with your existing card?
>> >
>> >HH
>> -----
>> Kim/Dreamspinner3
>> Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/

Will the slot safely take a 4x/8x card? A card like this would just
back down to the 4x setting & wouldn't use all its features, correct?

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:14:15 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@kgexpress.net>
wrote:

>Hmmm. Well, the AGP slot won't take an 8X card,but it should take a 4X/2X
>card. I would suggest an ATI Radeon card.

What do you think of this card?

http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=CTRFBV9200SE128&cat=
-----
Kim/Dreamspinner3
Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/

hh

Unfortunately, the "SE" versions of the Radeon cards only have 64-bit access
to the video memory on the card, which is slower than the 128-bit access on
the non-SE cards. I would try for a card with full 128-bit memory
addressing.

> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:14:15 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@kgexpress.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Hmmm. Well, the AGP slot won't take an 8X card,but it should take a 4X/2X
>>card. I would suggest an ATI Radeon card.
>
> What do you think of this card?
>
> http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=CTRFBV9200SE128&cat=
> -----
> Kim/Dreamspinner3
> Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/

General Nanosystems has the Chaintech Geforce 6200 256MB DDR Video Card
for $109.00 and they also have a Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 PRO 128mb for
$99.00.

I'm being told by different people that the Nvidia card is better...it
has more memory, true. But is it better otherwise? I'm so confused.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts