Trouble tethering VX6100 to laptop for NA

I am having trouble getting my new VX6100 to work as a tethered modem
to my laptop using nationalaccess.

Well, actually, I can get it to work. I went and paid the whole $40 to
get the MOK when I got the phone, not then knowing I could get a
cheaper cable and download the drivers. Loading all the VZW softare
allows me to connect (through the VZ access manager) using the Q2N
(supposedly only minutes used) and it also works with NA, although I
get the ominous message that that's going to cost me extra (don't know
it if does or not, only tried once - today.

Meanwhile, everyone on the newsgroups, etc. not to mention some friends
of mine, say that you can access it (NA) directly for no extra charge
since it is already activated for GIN. This is a brand new phone and
contract, so from what I read, this should be activated by default.

Surfing around, I find the way to do it is:

------
Create a dialup connection with the following settings:
Verizon 3G/1X Data/Express Network

* Select the modem. Ideally you want the serial connection to the
phone to operate at 230400 otherwise you will suffer lower throughput
* The phone number is #777 (be sure to include the pound sign)
* The username is yourphonenumber@vzw3g.com (For example
5551234567@vzw3g.com)
* The password is vzw
-----

I also, for good measure, added in $QCMDR=3 (not 2) as an additional
init string to the phone "modem" settings.

Dialing up seems to work and connect. But.... While I can first get
contact with the outside internet, this seems to stop within seconds.
Usually after about 10,000 bytes transfered.

If I run winipcfg (this is with windows, haven't tried it under linux
yet) I see that I have an IP address and a default gateway assigned,
both in the 70.x.x.x block. But if I rerun winipcfg again, I see I no
longer have a default geteway (IP address is still assigned, though).
So no wonder no surfing.

When I did the one quick check connecting to NA with the VZ Access
manager, I got similar IP and default gateway settings assigned, but
they stayed.

One more strange thing is that the phone display would change over to
other info (forget now, just different) and then back again, yet still
remain connected when trying the direct connect. This didn't happen
with the VZ access manager.

Anybody have any ideas? The laptop still runs 98SE (yeah I need a
newer one, but not enough money right now, and it still works for
e-mail on the road).

Please help. Thanks in advance.

JS
4 answers Last reply
More about trouble tethering vx6100 laptop

    JS,
    Post your question to the Yahoo Group "Internet By Cell Phone" here
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/InternetByCellPhone/
    You'll get an expert answer.
    Badaboom/

    jsundqui@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I am having trouble getting my new VX6100 to work as a tethered modem
    > to my laptop using nationalaccess.
    >
    > Well, actually, I can get it to work. I went and paid the whole $40 to
    > get the MOK when I got the phone, not then knowing I could get a
    > cheaper cable and download the drivers. Loading all the VZW softare
    > allows me to connect (through the VZ access manager) using the Q2N
    > (supposedly only minutes used) and it also works with NA, although I
    > get the ominous message that that's going to cost me extra (don't know
    > it if does or not, only tried once - today.
    >
    > Meanwhile, everyone on the newsgroups, etc. not to mention some friends
    > of mine, say that you can access it (NA) directly for no extra charge
    > since it is already activated for GIN. This is a brand new phone and
    > contract, so from what I read, this should be activated by default.
    >
    > Surfing around, I find the way to do it is:
    >
    > ------
    > Create a dialup connection with the following settings:
    > Verizon 3G/1X Data/Express Network
    >
    > * Select the modem. Ideally you want the serial connection to the
    > phone to operate at 230400 otherwise you will suffer lower throughput
    > * The phone number is #777 (be sure to include the pound sign)
    > * The username is yourphonenumber@vzw3g.com (For example
    > 5551234567@vzw3g.com)
    > * The password is vzw
    > -----
    >
    > I also, for good measure, added in $QCMDR=3 (not 2) as an additional
    > init string to the phone "modem" settings.
    >
    > Dialing up seems to work and connect. But.... While I can first get
    > contact with the outside internet, this seems to stop within seconds.
    > Usually after about 10,000 bytes transfered.
    >
    > If I run winipcfg (this is with windows, haven't tried it under linux
    > yet) I see that I have an IP address and a default gateway assigned,
    > both in the 70.x.x.x block. But if I rerun winipcfg again, I see I no
    > longer have a default geteway (IP address is still assigned, though).
    > So no wonder no surfing.
    >
    > When I did the one quick check connecting to NA with the VZ Access
    > manager, I got similar IP and default gateway settings assigned, but
    > they stayed.
    >
    > One more strange thing is that the phone display would change over to
    > other info (forget now, just different) and then back again, yet still
    > remain connected when trying the direct connect. This didn't happen
    > with the VZ access manager.
    >
    > Anybody have any ideas? The laptop still runs 98SE (yeah I need a
    > newer one, but not enough money right now, and it still works for
    > e-mail on the road).
    >
    > Please help. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > JS

    VZAccess Manager and WIN98 and no compatible!!!!!

    Don B:

    Well actually, VZAccess Manager and WIN98 did work. but I got the
    ominous "you will be charged extra" message connecting to NA.

    I was just trying to connect directly as per above instructions.

    Badaboom:

    Thanks. I lurked there for a while looking for an answer, but will now
    post there, too.

    With my vx6000 I had a similar problem. Verizon's MOK software/driver
    does not reliably allow you to do the direct connection. You have to
    keep the mobile office manager up to keep the line working.

    When I got the 3rd party "cheap" cables, with the plain futuredial
    drivers, I was able to use the standard DUN connection per the
    frequently posted directions.

    If you travel a lot, I would suggest purchasing a USB charging cable,
    with futuredial drivers. In addition to the simpler futuredial DUN
    setup (with more compatibility with corporate ISP dialer software), the
    phone charges when plugged ino the USB port (even when not using it as
    a modem). This way you can keep your cell phone charger at home, and
    just plug it into your laptop to charge. The charging load didn't
    noticeably reduce my laptop's battery life.

    -MVL

Verizon Laptops Internet Service Providers