PC-cillin 2002 and ZA 5.0.590 compatibility issue?

When I attempt to install the ZA 5.0.590 update, ZA complains of an
unspecified incompatibility issue with PC-cillin 2002 and refuses to
proceed. Does this issue involve PC-cillin's Site Filter or Web Trap
options (both of which I have disabled)? If so, how can I fool ZA into
believing that PC-cillin is not installed?

- Franc Zabkar
More about cillin 2002 compatibility issue

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 17:26:35 +1000, Franc Zabkar
    <fzabkar@optussnet.com.au> wrote:

    >When I attempt to install the ZA 5.0.590 update, ZA complains of an
    >unspecified incompatibility issue with PC-cillin 2002 and refuses to
    >proceed. Does this issue involve PC-cillin's Site Filter or Web Trap
    >options (both of which I have disabled)? If so, how can I fool ZA into
    >believing that PC-cillin is not installed?
    >

    >- Franc Zabkar

    There's a problem with ZA's newest upgrade; and it's been
    pulled down for rework.

    Lots of howling about this on the ZA User Forums.

    "Franc Zabkar" <fzabkar@optussnet.com.au> wrote:
    > I always disable the "autostart-at-bootup" feature of all programs, so
    > this was never an issue. In fact I prefer to launch programs on
    > demand. As it turns out, ZA was looking in the registry for signs of
    > "incompatible" AV programs. I solved my problem without uninstalling
    > PC-cillin by locating this registry key (Win98SE) ...
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\TrendMicro
    >
    > ... and temporarily renaming it to "TendMicro". ZA then installed
    > without complaint. To avoid potential conflicts, I took the precaution
    > of disabling ZA's "Antivirus Monitoring", and I have not installed
    > PC-cillin's firewall.
    >
    > All is well so far.

    I've been using the free ZoneAlarm 4.5 with PC-cillin 2003 with
    perfect coexistence so far even though I kept both of them updated with
    the latest patches. A few days ago when my ZA's automatic update
    checker announced a new security update, naturally I immediately
    downloaded it for install. Apparently it was the ZA 5.0 update but the
    install wizard refused to proceed unless I first uninstall PC-cillin
    because ZA found it suddenly incompatible. Then I tried again the ZA
    update install after I unloaded PC-cillin, but that was still not enough
    for the ZA install wizard; apparently it recognized PC-cillin's presence
    from the Registry, as you are suggesting. Now, I was not about to dump
    PC-cillin I just re-subscribed for another year and I've been pretty
    happy with. On the other hand I've been happy with ZA, too, until now
    but I'm concerned that your method, though might get me through the
    install hurdle, could still cause some incompatibilities down the line.
    So for the time being I'm not upgrading my ZA 4.5 to 5.0 until this
    issue is settled to my satisfaction or I find another firewall program
    similar in capabilities to ZA and perhaps even free or at least
    inexpensive. If anybody can suggest one, let's hear about it because I
    am suspicious that ZoneLabs did this deliberately, using its entrenched
    position in the firewall business to steal anti-virus customers for its
    own new antivirus product. They must have taken a page from Microsoft's
    strategy who also used its entrenched Windows OS position to sqeeze out
    Netscape from the browser market and RealMedia from the streaming
    audio/video market.

    Rudy

    > So for the time being I'm not upgrading my ZA 4.5 to 5.0 until this
    > issue is settled to my satisfaction or I find another firewall program
    > similar in capabilities to ZA and perhaps even free or at least
    > inexpensive. If anybody can suggest one, let's hear about it because I
    > am suspicious that ZoneLabs did this deliberately, using its entrenched
    > position in the firewall business to steal anti-virus customers for its
    > own new antivirus product. They must have taken a page from Microsoft's
    > strategy who also used its entrenched Windows OS position to sqeeze out
    > Netscape from the browser market and RealMedia from the streaming
    > audio/video market.

    Sygate is another one that works very well. It's a little smarter than
    ZA in my opinion. They have a free version also. See the bottom of
    this page for a download link:

    http://smb.sygate.com/buy/download_buy.htm

    Also, for questions, help and discussion see:

    http://forums.sygate.com/vb/

    --
    Kerodo

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 00:05:20 GMT, in article
    <4Fuuc.27259$Ly.776@attbi_s01>, "R. P." <r_pol12gar@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    > If anybody can suggest one, let's hear about it

    Kerio 2.15 is an excellent firewall. There are a lot of user help
    forums around too. Don't get v4 from the website, it's rubbish.

    I'm sure someone can provide a URL?

Firewalls Security Compatibility Networking