Sign in with
Your question

CPU overheating

Last response: in Overclocking
June 24, 2003 9:16:51 PM

I just finished building my computer and my CPU keeps overheating and then shutting the whole system off. My system won't stay on longer than a min b4 it shuts off. Not even the default settings for the multiplier and CPU spd will keep it from powering down. I needs help yall. My specs are below.

Intel P4 2.66GHz
PC2700 512MB Kingston
ASUS P4G8X Deluxe

More about : cpu overheating

June 24, 2003 11:26:48 PM

I guess you´ve made sure all fans are actually spinning? Make sure the CPU heatsink is properly seated on the CPU, and check the CPU voltage in BIOS.
June 25, 2003 12:35:21 PM

Yep, checked all the fans but I do think I need to recheck the CPU fan and heatsink again and see if it works. It felt loose when I installed it but I just figured it was suppose to fit that way. Thanks for the advise.
Related resources
June 25, 2003 12:41:37 PM

The CPU HSF should never feel loose, most people are scared to death because of the tight fit (you know what I mean)! Something is wrong with your CPU heatsink/fan anyways if the temp gets to shutdown in a minute!
June 26, 2003 5:26:30 PM

I went home yesterday and found out that my CPU was overheating b/c the heatsink and CPU fan weren't on correctly. And I was scared to death when I was adjusting it. I thought I was breaking it, but now it's snug. Thanks for the advise, it worked!!
June 27, 2003 2:24:17 PM

Lucky you that you didn't go for an Athlon XP if you get scared by putting a HSF on a CPU with heatspreader. On the Athlon XP the core is visible just like with the P3.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek: 
!