CPU overheating

cookjei

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
I just finished building my computer and my CPU keeps overheating and then shutting the whole system off. My system won't stay on longer than a min b4 it shuts off. Not even the default settings for the multiplier and CPU spd will keep it from powering down. I needs help yall. My specs are below.

Intel P4 2.66GHz
PC2700 512MB Kingston
ASUS P4G8X Deluxe

Tigr_K157

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2003
I guess you´ve made sure all fans are actually spinning? Make sure the CPU heatsink is properly seated on the CPU, and check the CPU voltage in BIOS.

cookjei

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Yep, checked all the fans but I do think I need to recheck the CPU fan and heatsink again and see if it works. It felt loose when I installed it but I just figured it was suppose to fit that way. Thanks for the advise.

Tigr_K157

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2003
The CPU HSF should never feel loose, most people are scared to death because of the tight fit (you know what I mean)! Something is wrong with your CPU heatsink/fan anyways if the temp gets to shutdown in a minute!

cookjei

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
I went home yesterday and found out that my CPU was overheating b/c the heatsink and CPU fan weren't on correctly. And I was scared to death when I was adjusting it. I thought I was breaking it, but now it's snug. Thanks for the advise, it worked!!

svol

Champion
Lucky you that you didn't go for an Athlon XP if you get scared by putting a HSF on a CPU with heatspreader. On the Athlon XP the core is visible just like with the P3.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek:

TRENDING THREADS