Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Logitech G500 or the G400

Last response: in Video Games
Share
December 9, 2012 3:21:45 PM

I want a discussion on the maximum detail
Logitech fanboys flare up and rant on which is better!

^_^

Not a flame bait thread
I just want lots of detail :) 

More about : logitech g500 g400

December 9, 2012 3:43:44 PM

I have a G5 which is sort of the G500 precursor. The reason I still have the G5 over the 500 is that regardless of how much I pound on it, drop it, and/or dirty it up it still performes flawlessly. When it finally dies I'm going strait to the 500 for all the above reasons as well as its slightly improved grip. The G5 and 500 also have a fun bonus with them: the weight tray! It is absolutly pointless to use it in the mouse but it makes a really cool paper weight and the weights themselves make great sling-shot ammo!
December 9, 2012 4:43:26 PM

I think the g5 is more like the g400 in look and feel though :/ 
Related resources
December 9, 2012 4:44:22 PM

The G400 has the better sensor. Between the two, it's the technically superior mouse.
December 9, 2012 9:24:30 PM

http://www.esreality.com/wiki/Hardware:Mice_Sensors you should all check this post out. it lists mice by there sensors and you can figure out quite easily whats good and whats not by comparing new with old...

Logitech G9X - Avago ADNS-S9500 for example has the same sensor so the same feel as many other mice. some cost more some less.
Logitech G500 - Avago ADNS-S9500
Logitech G700 - Avago ADNS-S9500
Corsair Vengeance M60 - Avago ADNS-9500
Corsair Vengeance M90 - Avago ADNS-9500
Roccat Kone[+] - Avago ADNS-9500
Gigabyte M6980X - Avago ADNS-9500
Gigabyte M8000X - Avago ADNS-9500
Steelseries Sensei - Avago ADNS-A9500

now you see what some mice get better reviews than others. the reason being is they have pretty much the same hardware the reviewers are used to so they immediately feel more comfy using it.

all of thesse have basically the same sensor with slight variation of either increased sensitivity in the s version that they offer a tighter controll ofver the cpi which is always good... the a version concentrates on acceleration

most of the new better mice are using the avago 9800 which is a very smooth sensor. it does have a major flaw in that its cpi can only be adjusted in steps of 200 but if you know what your doing you can turn it up very high and then reduce the mouse speed to get a mouse that gives 2-4 cpi per pixel on screen. which results in a very smooth operating mouse.
i was sent a mouse by ANKER, they are new to gaming mice but will hit the market with a very decent offering that uses the avago 9800.
the anker precision laser gaming mouse. (yep quite a mouthfull) i have no idea of price yet because it doesn't go on sale till next week or the week after. but after a week of using it i can say its pretty decent. especially as its there first entry into gaming hardware.
8000 dpi 9 buttons. most of which are configurable...
it glides perfectly on high quality feet and the acceleration can be turned down to 0 which means it wont give negative acceleration (this is where most razer mice fall flat with there philips sensors)... as its 8000dpi prediction is near nonexistent if the mouse is set u correctly... and like i say its pretty good.
its more designed towards palm players who rest the hands on the mouse rather than claw grippers who use there fingers and is easily the match of Tt eSports Level 10M, Steelseries Sensei MLG, CM Storm Sentinel Advance2 or the logitech g600. (not that im a fan of mmo mice as i think they are gimmicks. but i include the g600 as it has the same sensor)
lets see how much they want to sell it for as all the above are about 50-70 pounds mark... i hope they decide to bring it to market a little cheaper as they are new and need the word of mouth a good mouse can offer.
so good luck Anker... a very good step into gaming grade mice.

December 9, 2012 11:34:36 PM

HEXiT said:

it glides perfectly on high quality feet and the acceleration can be turned down to 0 which means it wont give negative acceleration (this is where most razer mice fall flat with there philips sensors)... as its 8000dpi prediction is near nonexistent if the mouse is set u correctly... and like i say its pretty good.
its more designed towards palm players who rest the hands on the mouse rather than claw grippers who use there fingers and is easily the match of Tt eSports Level 10M, Steelseries Sensei MLG, CM Storm Sentinel Advance2 or the logitech g600. (not that im a fan of mmo mice as i think they are gimmicks. but i include the g600 as it has the same sensor)


There are issues with that sensor. The G600 exhibits random cursor jumping (like full screen jumping) and consistent jitter in tests.
December 10, 2012 1:20:39 AM

not seen anything on that. glad to say im not having that issue with this mouse so maybe its to do with the logitech drivers or there firmware.
i have used the anker on everything from bf3 to mw3 to 3dsmax 1s set up i havent noticed any jumping but i certainly will keep an eye out for it.
thanx for the heads up. ;) 
December 10, 2012 1:34:12 AM

HEXiT said:
not seen anything on that. glad to say im not having that issue with this mouse so maybe its to do with the logitech drivers or there firmware.
i have used the anker on everything from bf3 to mw3 to 3dsmax 1s set up i havent noticed any jumping but i certainly will keep an eye out for it.
thanx for the heads up. ;) 


There's more reading over on the overclock mouse forums if you search for the G600 review. Could very well be something to do with Logitech's implementation.
December 10, 2012 2:14:23 AM

I have the Logitech G500 mouse and overall I am pretty satisfied with it. The presets for different DPI settings is nice. I believe I set it to somewhere between 2800 - 3200 DPI for everyday use and games. A couple of clicks on the mouse and I can bring it down to 600DPI for sniper shots.
December 10, 2012 2:52:57 AM

The current trend for gaming mice seems to be "more buttons, more winning". A couple of years ago 5-7 buttons were enough, but suddenly mice began having 4 thumb-buttons, buttons infront of the scroll-wheel and whatnot.

I never understood this change, and 97% of the time I find those extra buttons to be blocking my way of gaming, not enhancing it.

I have a G5 on my old gaming computer, and luckily found a G9X for my current one. But I generally find my old G5 better than G500, because the dpi-switch buttons are better placed, and you only have 2 thumb-buttons.

I've always been a fan of Logitech mice, but the "more buttons, more winning" craporama has influenced them too, and the only resonable company making gaming mice atm. seems to be Steelseries - since they don't plaster 28 buttons on their gaming mice.

Only Logitech's cheap gaming mice seems to have a resonable amount of buttons - but meh, I'm probably just turning into Grandpa Simpson :pfff: 

I would - get a G5, G9 or a Steelseries one :) 
December 10, 2012 4:37:24 AM

Logitech offers more configurations than most, on buttons, which is good for everyone. I found the Razer's to lack variety. The G400 is the basic, 2 thumb buttons and standard left right middle button with a scroll wheel. The G500 adds tilt on the middle button and an extra thumb button, the G700 does that plus a 4th thumb button, and some extra buttons on the top that can easily be ignored. The G600 is the monstrosity of thumb buttons and a ring finger button next to the right button.

I personally have really liked the G700 layout, I just wish it came with a cord or a better wireless setup.
December 11, 2012 12:02:20 PM

bystander said:
Logitech offers more configurations than most, on buttons, which is good for everyone. I found the Razer's to lack variety. The G400 is the basic, 2 thumb buttons and standard left right middle button with a scroll wheel. The G500 adds tilt on the middle button and an extra thumb button, the G700 does that plus a 4th thumb button, and some extra buttons on the top that can easily be ignored. The G600 is the monstrosity of thumb buttons and a ring finger button next to the right button.

I personally have really liked the G700 layout, I just wish it came with a cord or a better wireless setup.

I agree with the g700 layout
I don't like the mouse clicks or that is has a laser

I strictly play with optical sensors due to accel on lasers and the known problems with them
December 11, 2012 2:42:43 PM

I still use the G3. I bought 4 of them after i tried it once, currently on my last one.
Reasons: Good claw or finger grip, Very light, fast button recoil, presice, relativly sturdy.

I tried G300, 400 500 and 700. Tried G9, razer diamondback, and a shitload of other cheaper models. None convinced me so far except the Elecom GM-20 (already out of production and stock).

Its not light, but very confy. Still, i hope my G3 never dies...
!