Zonealrarm Pro Ver 5.0.590.015 Problem with ICS

Hi All;

I wonder if anybody can help with the following?

I have just downloaded and Installed/Upgraded to subject Zonealarm Pro
Version from 4.5.594. on an ICS Host. I have also done the same with the
free Version on the ICS client.

My problem is that now the client is unable to connect to the internet
whilst Zonealarm is running on the host. This problem has manifested itself
even though on both systems I elected to the upgrade path rather than the
new install option and prior to the upgrade both 'puters could connect to
the internet.

Installing was in the following sequence:

a. Downloaded and installed (upgraded) to Pro Ver 5.0 from Pro Ver 4.5 on
ICS host.

b. Connected to internet on host no problem.

c. Attempted connect to internet on Client (Still using Free Ver 4.5)... No
go.

Idea - thought might be version conflict.

d. Downloaded Free Version 5.0 and installed (upgraded) on Client.
Previously using Free Version 4.5.

Client still not able to connect and no idea of what setting to tweak after
having tried all three levels (High, Med & Low) in the Internet Zone
Security Levels on both Client and Host.

I frequently have both computers accessing the internet at the same time and
would prefer to have the firewall running on both machines.

Sideline - In a fit of idiocy last Saturday week ago I thought I would close
Zonealarm on the host - bad move Sasser hit me about 20 minutes after it was
reportedly released. Computer slowdown big time. No other damage and
cleanedup very easily but what an annoyance.

Many Thank in anticipation.

Fraser

phoenix

On Tue, 25 May 2004 17:53:26 +1000, F Butland wrote:

> Hi All;
>
> I wonder if anybody can help with the following?
>
> I have just downloaded and Installed/Upgraded to subject Zonealarm Pro
> Version from 4.5.594. on an ICS Host. I have also done the same with the
> free Version on the ICS client.
>
> My problem is that now the client is unable to connect to the internet
> whilst Zonealarm is running on the host. This problem has manifested itself
> even though on both systems I elected to the upgrade path rather than the
> new install option and prior to the upgrade both 'puters could connect to
> the internet.
>
> Installing was in the following sequence:
>
> a. Downloaded and installed (upgraded) to Pro Ver 5.0 from Pro Ver 4.5 on
> ICS host.
>
> b. Connected to internet on host no problem.
>
> c. Attempted connect to internet on Client (Still using Free Ver 4.5)... No
> go.
>
> Idea - thought might be version conflict.
>
> d. Downloaded Free Version 5.0 and installed (upgraded) on Client.
> Previously using Free Version 4.5.
>
> Client still not able to connect and no idea of what setting to tweak after
> having tried all three levels (High, Med & Low) in the Internet Zone
> Security Levels on both Client and Host.
>
> I frequently have both computers accessing the internet at the same time and
> would prefer to have the firewall running on both machines.
>
> Sideline - In a fit of idiocy last Saturday week ago I thought I would close
> Zonealarm on the host - bad move Sasser hit me about 20 minutes after it was
> reportedly released. Computer slowdown big time. No other damage and
> cleanedup very easily but what an annoyance.
>
> Many Thank in anticipation.
>
> Fraser

Hi

Have you changed the setting on the Firewall/Main/Advanced/Internet
Connection Sharing to 'This computer is an ICS gateway'? Is your LAN subnet
in the Trusted Zone?

Regards

Bill

<fbutland@iprimus.com.au> wrote:

>Hi All;
>
>I wonder if anybody can help with the following?
>
>I have just downloaded and Installed/Upgraded to subject Zonealarm Pro
>Version from 4.5.594. on an ICS Host. I have also done the same with the
>free Version on the ICS client.
>
>My problem is that now the client is unable to connect to the internet
>whilst Zonealarm is running on the host. This problem has manifested itself
>even though on both systems I elected to the upgrade path rather than the
>new install option and prior to the upgrade both 'puters could connect to
>the internet.
>
>Installing was in the following sequence:
>
>a. Downloaded and installed (upgraded) to Pro Ver 5.0 from Pro Ver 4.5 on
>ICS host.
>
>b. Connected to internet on host no problem.
>
>c. Attempted connect to internet on Client (Still using Free Ver 4.5)... No
>go.
>
> Idea - thought might be version conflict.
>
>d. Downloaded Free Version 5.0 and installed (upgraded) on Client.
>Previously using Free Version 4.5.
>
>Client still not able to connect and no idea of what setting to tweak after
>having tried all three levels (High, Med & Low) in the Internet Zone
>Security Levels on both Client and Host.
>
>I frequently have both computers accessing the internet at the same time and
>would prefer to have the firewall running on both machines.
>
>Sideline - In a fit of idiocy last Saturday week ago I thought I would close
>Zonealarm on the host - bad move Sasser hit me about 20 minutes after it was
>reportedly released. Computer slowdown big time. No other damage and
>cleanedup very easily but what an annoyance.
>
>Many Thank in anticipation.
>
>Fraser

zonealarm: firewall, settings, advanced, is this a gateway machine.
check it and try again.

Thanks For your replies Phoenix (Bill) & jspud.

I finally cracked the setting that had change during the update prosess. ie
Under Program Control/Programs, Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
(svchost.exe) had, for reasons unknown, under Server Trusted reset iteself
from Allow to Blocked.

I discovewred this by deleting all the programs from the program list and
then tried connecting to the internet on the client and letting the
sebsequent alerts let me know what was going on. Bingo svchost.exe tried to
act as server on trusted, click allow and hey presto connection occured.

Once again, thanks people.