How to get pictures off Moto 710?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
May 10, 2005 12:18:09 AM

I got a camera phone because it was a good phone....I didn't want or
need a mediocre-to-poor camera. But I have it - and now I find myself
taking pictures.

I don't have web access on the phone because I really don't need it.

I understand that VZ has "crippled" a lot of the features on the 710.
How do I get the pictures off the phone if I don't have web access
service on the phone?

Can I use a data cable and download directly to my computer and do I
need software as well?

TIA

Louise

More about : pictures moto 710

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 12:25:29 AM

On Mon, 09 May 2005 20:18:09 GMT, Louise <none@nospam.com> wrote:

>I got a camera phone because it was a good phone....I didn't want or
>need a mediocre-to-poor camera. But I have it - and now I find myself
>taking pictures.
>
>I don't have web access on the phone because I really don't need it.
>
>I understand that VZ has "crippled" a lot of the features on the 710.
>How do I get the pictures off the phone if I don't have web access
>service on the phone?
>
>Can I use a data cable and download directly to my computer and do I
>need software as well?
>
>TIA
>
>Louise
You can purchase a transflash card for the little slot at the top of
the phone. When you take a picture you can save it on the card. I have
one that comes with an adapter so I can use it in my computer. If you
have a card reader for your computer you can transfer it to the card
and then put the card in the computer and save the picture there. You
can also transfer a picture from your computer to the card to the
phone.

I'm not sure about the cable setup but I do know that Verizon has not
crippled picture transfer on the 710's latest software.
May 10, 2005 12:25:30 AM

TeddeLI wrote:
> On Mon, 09 May 2005 20:18:09 GMT, Louise <none@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> I got a camera phone because it was a good phone....I didn't want or
>> need a mediocre-to-poor camera. But I have it - and now I find
>> myself taking pictures.
>>
>> I don't have web access on the phone because I really don't need it.
>>
>> I understand that VZ has "crippled" a lot of the features on the 710.
>> How do I get the pictures off the phone if I don't have web access
>> service on the phone?
>>
>> Can I use a data cable and download directly to my computer and do I
>> need software as well?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Louise
> You can purchase a transflash card for the little slot at the top of
> the phone. When you take a picture you can save it on the card. I have
> one that comes with an adapter so I can use it in my computer. If you
> have a card reader for your computer you can transfer it to the card
> and then put the card in the computer and save the picture there. You
> can also transfer a picture from your computer to the card to the
> phone.
>
> I'm not sure about the cable setup but I do know that Verizon has not
> crippled picture transfer on the 710's latest software.

That is probably being planned for the next firmware "update" for the phone
in keeping with Verizons money grabbing tradition.
May 10, 2005 5:18:41 AM

On Mon, 09 May 2005 20:25:29 -0400, TeddeLI <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

>You can purchase a transflash card for the little slot at the top of
>the phone. When you take a picture you can save it on the card. I have
>one that comes with an adapter so I can use it in my computer.

Not on the newest software for the M710 according to reviews on
Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/wi...

Verizon has disabled the picture transfer both by bluetooth and the
transflash card.

What crooks. Taking features out of a product that were built in
there by the manufacturer in order to squeeze a quarter out of you for
each picture.

Quote:
I am extremely disappointed in this phone. Only because of Verizon and
how they have disabled the many features that this phone has to offer.
My boyfriend and I brought this phone roughly 30 days apart only to
find that the software on his allowed him to download ringtones,
pictures, etc. utilizing a transfash. Well, I went out and purchased a
transflash as well but quickly found out that I couldn't transfer the
files to the new software that is now installed on my phone. Bottom
line is if you have the older software you can enjoy this V710 but if
you have the newer software FORGET it. I wish that as a consumer there
is something that we can do about this misleading options on this
phone. I only wish I could return the phone. I truly don't think that
what Verizon has done is legal. If anyone has figured out a way to get
around their many disabled features, please let me know.
May 10, 2005 6:00:25 AM

In article <9i20811331c5n461a4qkucksbbvfedo1o2@4ax.com>, steevo@my-
deja.com says...
> On Mon, 09 May 2005 20:25:29 -0400, TeddeLI <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
>
> >You can purchase a transflash card for the little slot at the top of
> >the phone. When you take a picture you can save it on the card. I have
> >one that comes with an adapter so I can use it in my computer.
>
> Not on the newest software for the M710 according to reviews on
> Amazon.
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/wi...
>
> Verizon has disabled the picture transfer both by bluetooth and the
> transflash card.
>
> What crooks. Taking features out of a product that were built in
> there by the manufacturer in order to squeeze a quarter out of you for
> each picture.
>
> Quote:
> I am extremely disappointed in this phone. Only because of Verizon and
> how they have disabled the many features that this phone has to offer.
> My boyfriend and I brought this phone roughly 30 days apart only to
> find that the software on his allowed him to download ringtones,
> pictures, etc. utilizing a transfash. Well, I went out and purchased a
> transflash as well but quickly found out that I couldn't transfer the
> files to the new software that is now installed on my phone. Bottom
> line is if you have the older software you can enjoy this V710 but if
> you have the newer software FORGET it. I wish that as a consumer there
> is something that we can do about this misleading options on this
> phone. I only wish I could return the phone. I truly don't think that
> what Verizon has done is legal. If anyone has figured out a way to get
> around their many disabled features, please let me know.

I agree with you...and I don't like it one bit.

However, if I want to spend a quarter, how would I do it?

TIA

Louise
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 10:01:20 AM

John wrote:
> TeddeLI wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 09 May 2005 20:18:09 GMT, Louise <none@nospam.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I got a camera phone because it was a good phone....I didn't want or
>>>need a mediocre-to-poor camera. But I have it - and now I find
>>>myself taking pictures.
>>>
>>>I don't have web access on the phone because I really don't need it.
>>>
>>>I understand that VZ has "crippled" a lot of the features on the 710.
>>>How do I get the pictures off the phone if I don't have web access
>>>service on the phone?
>>>
>>>Can I use a data cable and download directly to my computer and do I
>>>need software as well?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>
>>>Louise
>>
>>You can purchase a transflash card for the little slot at the top of
>>the phone. When you take a picture you can save it on the card. I have
>>one that comes with an adapter so I can use it in my computer. If you
>>have a card reader for your computer you can transfer it to the card
>>and then put the card in the computer and save the picture there. You
>>can also transfer a picture from your computer to the card to the
>>phone.
>>
>>I'm not sure about the cable setup but I do know that Verizon has not
>>crippled picture transfer on the 710's latest software.
>
> That is probably being planned for the next firmware "update" for the phone
> in keeping with Verizons money grabbing tradition.

Don't be surprised if this happens. Read somewhere (HowardForums?) that
VZW is negotiating with Motorola to store stuff on the TF in encrypted
form so that it cannot be read on a computer. It currently is in a
standard format for which XP has built-in drivers; all you need is a
TF/USB adapter which you can get anywhere. No revenue opportunities for
VZW and their GetItNow partners there, so it's got to be on their hit
list :(  :(
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 10:17:04 AM

Steevo@my-deja.com wrote:
> On Mon, 09 May 2005 20:25:29 -0400, TeddeLI <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>>You can purchase a transflash card for the little slot at the top of
>>the phone. When you take a picture you can save it on the card. I have
>>one that comes with an adapter so I can use it in my computer.
>
> Not on the newest software for the M710 according to reviews on
> Amazon.
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/wi...
>
> Verizon has disabled the picture transfer both by bluetooth and the
> transflash card.

??? Unless some newer software has come out in the last 2 weeks since I
bought my phone, the latest software for the 710 (8700_01.40.OR) allows
all transfers between the TF and internal memory EXCEPT for moving MP3
files from TF to internal (so they can be used as ringtones). I move
pictures back and forth all the time. And there is the "trick" of
sending an MP3 file on your TF in a message to a bogus phone number; the
message "bounces" back to your outbox, from which you can set it as a
ringtone. Still costs $0.25, I think.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 12:27:28 PM

On Tue, 10 May 2005 01:18:41 GMT, "Steevo@my-deja.com"
<steevo@my-deja.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 09 May 2005 20:25:29 -0400, TeddeLI <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>>You can purchase a transflash card for the little slot at the top of
>>the phone. When you take a picture you can save it on the card. I have
>>one that comes with an adapter so I can use it in my computer.
>
>Not on the newest software for the M710 according to reviews on
>Amazon.
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/wi...
>
>Verizon has disabled the picture transfer both by bluetooth and the
>transflash card.
>
>What crooks. Taking features out of a product that were built in
>there by the manufacturer in order to squeeze a quarter out of you for
>each picture.
>
>Quote:
>I am extremely disappointed in this phone. Only because of Verizon and
>how they have disabled the many features that this phone has to offer.
>My boyfriend and I brought this phone roughly 30 days apart only to
>find that the software on his allowed him to download ringtones,
>pictures, etc. utilizing a transfash. Well, I went out and purchased a
>transflash as well but quickly found out that I couldn't transfer the
>files to the new software that is now installed on my phone. Bottom
>line is if you have the older software you can enjoy this V710 but if
>you have the newer software FORGET it. I wish that as a consumer there
>is something that we can do about this misleading options on this
>phone. I only wish I could return the phone. I truly don't think that
>what Verizon has done is legal. If anyone has figured out a way to get
>around their many disabled features, please let me know.

I have the latest software on my 710 and have been able to transfer
files back and forth easily from the transflash card.

The bottom line is that it is a phone that works well. Transfering
pictures is a cute little feature but number11 in my top ten reasons
for having a phone. I have taken pictures of my family and some
friends to use as caller ID and have transferred a few pictures of my
last vacation from my computer to use as wallpaper. For $1.99 I bought
a ringtone I liked.

Beyond that to me it's a phone. I don't sit up nights lamenting on the
way Verizon does business or what they will cripple next. just give
me a phone that will make and receive calls. Those other features
would certainly not be a factor in my choice of a carrier.
May 10, 2005 1:51:42 PM

"TeddeLI" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
news:o 89181h4bdl8k490oe6pb4akoltb0e728f@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 10 May 2005 01:18:41 GMT, "Steevo@my-deja.com"
> <steevo@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 09 May 2005 20:25:29 -0400, TeddeLI <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
> >
> >>You can purchase a transflash card for the little slot at the top of
> >>the phone. When you take a picture you can save it on the card. I have
> >>one that comes with an adapter so I can use it in my computer.
> >
> >Not on the newest software for the M710 according to reviews on
> >Amazon.
>
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/wi...
ance/qid=1115687747/sr=1-3/002-0487351-2291260

> >Verizon has disabled the picture transfer both by bluetooth and the
> >transflash card.
> >
> >What crooks. Taking features out of a product that were built in
> >there by the manufacturer in order to squeeze a quarter out of you for
> >each picture.
> >
> >Quote:
> >I am extremely disappointed in this phone. Only because of Verizon and
> >how they have disabled the many features that this phone has to offer.
> >My boyfriend and I brought this phone roughly 30 days apart only to
> >find that the software on his allowed him to download ringtones,
> >pictures, etc. utilizing a transfash. Well, I went out and purchased a
> >transflash as well but quickly found out that I couldn't transfer the
> >files to the new software that is now installed on my phone. Bottom
> >line is if you have the older software you can enjoy this V710 but if
> >you have the newer software FORGET it. I wish that as a consumer there
> >is something that we can do about this misleading options on this
> >phone. I only wish I could return the phone. I truly don't think that
> >what Verizon has done is legal. If anyone has figured out a way to get
> >around their many disabled features, please let me know.
>
> I have the latest software on my 710 and have been able to transfer
> files back and forth easily from the transflash card.
>
> The bottom line is that it is a phone that works well. Transfering
> pictures is a cute little feature but number11 in my top ten reasons
> for having a phone. I have taken pictures of my family and some
> friends to use as caller ID and have transferred a few pictures of my
> last vacation from my computer to use as wallpaper. For $1.99 I bought
> a ringtone I liked.
>
> Beyond that to me it's a phone. I don't sit up nights lamenting on the
> way Verizon does business or what they will cripple next. just give
> me a phone that will make and receive calls. Those other features
> would certainly not be a factor in my choice of a carrier.

You obviously are immune to the dreaded 'New Toy syndrome' that so many of
us face each waking hour. It is sheer torture my friend.

Seriously, as a new verizon customer, I was really surprised by how much
effort Verizon has made to cripple the really amazing technology in their
phones. It's my first brush with a technology based company that does not
promote the technology in the products they sell. As a nerdy tech guy, it
does steam me not to be able to have free use of the equipment I purchased.
While it doesn't keep me up nights, I get plenty stoked when trying paying
for a ringtone I created, recorded, edited and use on other equipment.

Jon
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 11:38:14 PM

On Tue, 10 May 2005 09:51:42 -0400, "Zeppo" <zeppo_m@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"TeddeLI" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>news:o 89181h4bdl8k490oe6pb4akoltb0e728f@4ax.com...
>> On Tue, 10 May 2005 01:18:41 GMT, "Steevo@my-deja.com"
>> <steevo@my-deja.com> wrote:

>> >Not on the newest software for the M710 according to reviews on
>> >Amazon.
>>

>You obviously are immune to the dreaded 'New Toy syndrome' that so many of
>us face each waking hour. It is sheer torture my friend.
>
>Seriously, as a new verizon customer, I was really surprised by how much
>effort Verizon has made to cripple the really amazing technology in their
>phones. It's my first brush with a technology based company that does not
>promote the technology in the products they sell. As a nerdy tech guy, it
>does steam me not to be able to have free use of the equipment I purchased.
>While it doesn't keep me up nights, I get plenty stoked when trying paying
>for a ringtone I created, recorded, edited and use on other equipment.
>
>Jon

I agree with you 100%. I like my toys too having had three different
phones since last June. Verizon's policies annoy me too
!