AMD intentionally downgrading HD 6xxx series

chargedgod

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Sir,maybe this is a lame topic but for 5 years i have been a staunch AMD supporter as far as GPU goes.Presently I own a HD 6850 Excalibur.After 12.1 drivers I personally noticed and also from here and so forums that performance across HD 5xxxx & HD 6xxxx are dropping.As a matter of fact very few driver optimizations are targeted at them.All we see on the web now is GCN GCN & GCN........As if AMD gave us 5850 5870 for FREE :fou: .Now there's one thing I have heard from many that VLIW4 & 5 are aged and couldn't be optimized more. Then GTX 4xx & 5xx uses similar architecture ,still they are getting essential hotfix and improvements.Nvidia is accused of degrading performance in case of AMD cards,haven't heard of degrading their own lineup.
Fc3 a game made for AMD giving 24-25 avg fps on my rig & 28-30 & 34-35 on two of my friends rig having 6870 and 6950 2GB[Patched to 1.02+Catalyst 12.11beta 11+cap2].One may say FC3 is a VERY demanding Dx11-but I say I play Metro 2033 Dx11 Very High[Adv DOF-OFF,AAA]-45+ Avg and on high 52-55 Avg.I can give screenshots if anyone is suspicious.Metro is Nvidia's Game.
In short ...I and many like us feel cheated..This is an indirect way of forcing to buy GCN. :heink:

My rig
E7300 @ 3.33GHz[Ya i know it's crappy-I don't play 64 player multiplayer BF3 so I don't need]
4GB DDR3[7-8-7-22 @ 1.50v]
HIS HD 6850 Excalibur[ Catalyst 12.11b11+cap 2]
Seagate barracuda 500GB
LG 20" LED @ 1600x900
System optimized on daily basis with Tuneup & ccleaner.Disk defragmented monthly basis with perfectdisk 12.Unnecessary services and startup programs disabled during gaming.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

It's a rant, but a valid one in some ways. Optimizations for previous gen tech does seem to often drop with newer drivers that are supposedly backwards compatible.

Hi Casual :)

I see his point but I would rather they spend their money on optimising newer cards for newer games..

All the best Brett :)

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
I find it hard to believe they are intentionally making 6xxx and 5xxx series worse.... But maybe.
Also something you might be experiencing is just crappy optimization of FC3, I have two 7970s in crossfire and I still am getting down to 50fps with 60% load on both cards :/
Idk could be a crossfire thing but I kinda get the feeling it isn't based on what I've heard from others.

chargedgod

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
With all due respect sir who call it a "RANT" there are many who could buy or was highly fortunate to have been gifted with 6870/5850/5870 on birthday or saving pocket moneys after 3-5 years etc etc thinking that they are fail safe coz they don't have dollars raining on them or euros blossoming in their backyard to buy 7970 CFX every alternate year-And even if RANT...it's not mine only sir...do perform an avid search over the web...you will find several cases..

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
personally i have not seen and degrading with my hd 6950 2GB from powercolor. i honeslty think after the last series of video cards up until the end of the standard warranty they can stop all optimizing of older cards unless they are unable to even run new games (as in wont even run).
i think it would save on production and would put more focus on the now and current hardware.

as per GTX series compared nvidia has a much better driver software and is always getting better, they have been known for it where as AMD has usually been lacking

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

He's talking about hardware more than 1 generation old.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Fair enough. I doubt there is any intentional downgrading, just because it wouldn't be worth the effort to sit around and try to unoptimize a driverset for one tier of hardware, and optimize it for another at the same time. I do think however, that there comes a point where it's likely not worth updating drivers unless it is for a specific game that you are having issues with, if you're playing on hardware that is a couple generations old. Quality control certainly does seem to slip as time wears on, if nothing else.

chargedgod

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

chargedgod

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

i have a 5870 and i cant say i have noticed any drop in performance over the last 3 years of owning it. some games work better than others but generally i don't have the issues a lot of others have. my system is stable and has been since day 1. i run a modest overclock on the cpu and have a good 3rd party cooler on my gfx so my temps are great 45'c is the max for my gfx card at 97%load @75% fanspeed and my system is still near silent in comparison to most...
in fact the loudest fan on my system is my bigboy on my antec 902.

it isnt luck that i dont have issues its experience. if you have good housekeeping rules then your pc should work as it should, and perform to within spec. if you dont keep a well ordered hdd and i dont just mean clean your always gonna have issues.
my system has a 500gig raid 0 for my primary partition the rest of the drive is storage. i have another 1 tb for backup storage and everything a download goes directly to that. i only install on my primary drive i dont put the page file on a separate partition because that just doesn't work...
i just checked iand i have no minidumps in my crash folder which means i haven't had a bsod since the day i installed this raid 0. 14/7/09
what im getting at is that most perfomance reductions are caused by the users filling up there primary hdd and startup with crapware... like you have. tune up utils are a classic example of bloatware that will slow any decent pc down because the bloatware is taking away processing cycles needed for other tasks.
running things like game booster wont actually help much because the tuneup libraries arent default windows libs so are ignored. which sorta defeats the point of having another process running to stop other processes running...
forget tuneup utils and remove it. use windows 7 manager instead. its a lot lighter it does more and doesn't run in the background when its not needed...
also check your startup entries. if you have more than 4 or 5 you have to many. then check task manager and if theres more than 45-54 running processes for all users you have to many things running.
seriously you claim to know a lot. but after seeing you use tuneup utils you obviously think you know more than you actually do...
best hit the web and do some reading then come back and show a little humility.