Cant run games in XP..

inquiring

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
Im running XP Pro with 512 MB DDR Ram and an Asus 32 mb GTS 2 vid card. I tried to launch an Unreal 2 demo and it crashed with an error msg about a "slack dump". I tried to run a Devastation demo and my vid CRT went all black. Ive got Direct X 8.1 and OpeGL as far as I know.Anyone got any oideas whats going wrong here? My NVIDIA drivers are only 3 months old. Thanks.

dhlucke

Polypheme
1. Your card is old.
2. How old is your OS installation?
3. Use the older drivers, 40.72 at the latest. You should probably stick to the 3x.xx versions. The newer drivers will do nothing for you.

What are your total system specs? List everything.

dhlucke

Polypheme
FYI, your card will not play Unreal 2 at any reasonable rate or quality level. If you're interested in playing newer games you should invest in a new card.

inquiring

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
My OS is 3 months old....I am using ver 45.xx NVIDIA drivers now. My system is an ABIT KR7A mobo, 512 MB DDRam, AMD 1800 Athlon, (2) WD HDD's and MS XP Pro. Data on 1 drive the OS on the other. If i replace my vid card how do I know what to replace it with?
Thank you.

Conehead

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
A good card to replace it with would be an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro..or 9800 if you have enough moulah. If you prefer Nvidia...an FX5600 would be a decent choice (although inferior to ATI)

Who lives in a pineaple under the sea?!
Spongebob Squarepants!

RobD

Champion
Generic or branded RAM? Generic gave me smiliar results in UT2003. It would throw me out, flip me the finger and give me the worlds largest error message after barely a minute.

<font color=blue>"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that" - Bill Shankly</font color=blue>