Sign in with
Your question

Is there a way to make Steam load faster on 512kbps?

Last response: in Video Games
December 10, 2012 5:23:59 AM

Is there a way to make Steam load faster on 512kbps Internet?

Normally I go around answering questions, but 'back in the day' it loaded quickly even over dial-up.

Now it seems to take 10MB of downloads just to get into the biatch.

Any one else affected by this? (10MB just to authenticate is a bit much).

Q) Why aren't I asking on the Steam Forums?
A) They're basically useless over there.
December 10, 2012 7:41:54 AM

Not sure what you mean, are you talking about updates to steam,and update patches fixes for games. Even on a 512Kbps connection it never took that long to login to steam.

Anyway I guess you could just leave it up and running, and when your done send the computer into sleep mode with s1-s3 mode enabled in the bios that way it would always be stored in the ram, for a quick restart of windows and steam.
December 10, 2012 7:48:26 AM

It never used to, but these days everyone on 512kbps says it takes at least 90 seconds just to login.
Related resources
December 10, 2012 7:56:58 AM

It's never quick to boot up sometimes it take a few seconds for me and I'm on 75 meg connection.

I don't think there is any way around it.
December 10, 2012 9:22:11 AM

That's one of the main reasons why I don't like steam. I have to wait 30 secs extra each time I want to play one of my steam games. I don't think you can do anything.
December 10, 2012 3:09:32 PM

Same here. Takes a while to "connect" to the steam servers on launch but once you're in, launching games don't take that long. Not much you can do about it (other than changing your Steam settings to a higher connection settings - if you do have higher than 512K connection).
!