High Temps with New HSF

Peekaboom

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2002
I just installed a new HSF onto my XP 1900+. The Heatsink is a Thermalright SK-7 with a Thermaltake Smartfan II on top (which pushes ~75 cub. feet/min). I'm noticing that my IDLE temperature is around 43 C and the load temp goes up above 50. People/reviews have reported great results with this equipment, I was expected idle temps around 31 degrees.

What is the hang up? Could it be that I did not put enough thermal goo on (I used very thin layer of Arctic Alumina) or maybe I have inadequate case cooling (system temp is 34 degrees). It's about 85 F degrees in my computer room, so maybe that's the problem. Either way, the temp is higher now than with the stock AMD HSF on previously.

any help would be appreciated!

nomad_apogee

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2003
Have you checked that the HS is seated properly - i.e. the lip for the socket leaver cam is not lifting it off?

How fast is the fan spinning (identified using mobo cpu connector)? With the Thermaltake, I believe you can manually set the speed. Set it to full speed (if you can cope with the noise) and slowly reduce until you are happy with the noise / temp balance.

Hope this helps.

Peekaboom

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2002
two people have said that I may be the seating of the hs on the cpu. So I'll rip it out and check it.

Any idea of the degree to which room temp or system temp affects cooling?

nomad_apogee

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2003
Room temp has a significant impact. The actual CPU temp will generally be room temp + a constant value. From personal experience, a really good HS&F combo will keep the CPU to less than room +15dec C when idle and less than room+ 20 dec C when loaded

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Case temperature is more important than room temperature. A badly ventilated case will add 10C to your cpu temps. I know coz my case was badly ventilated and as a result got hot (43c+). Since i installed ducting/fans the case is about 35c max and cpu down 7-10 degrees.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=945569" target="_new"> MY RIG </A>
<font color=red> 120% overclocker </font color=red> (cheapskate)

nomad_apogee

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2003
Yes the case temp is important but when the ambient room temp goes up by 20deg C in summer, the inside of your PC will follow no matter how good the case cooling is - unless you have an active fan or manually adjusted fan. The important thing is to ensure that the air sucked into the case is as cool as possible.

In winter I use my PC as a heater- the normal heating for the computer room is switched off!

mixerman

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2003
Same problems as you are having I just got over.. I brought a Thermaltake Xaser III, and the slk-900u with the tornado 92mm fan... no more worries now... I CAN'T get my cpu to go above 54C with all the fans and tornado fan at about 60% power with Prime95 running for 15 hours straight.. oh and did I mention with the AC off in my room too.. so my room is probably about 80 F

Get a new case, heatsink, and fan.. I recommend the above.. very happy with it..

NEW SYSTEM:
P4 2.8c (800fsb), Abit IS7, Kingston HyperX PC3500 (2 x 512mb), IBM Deskstar (60 gig @ 7200rpm)
OLDER SYSTEM:
P3 850mhz (100fsb), Asus CUV4X, 620mb Micron PC133, WD 40gig 7200rpm