ZoneAlarm 5.0 Problem

I have tried both the 5.0 suite AND 5.0 Pro editions... I tried the
suite first... noted the following problem... WIPED my HD and
reinstalled a backup and then tried the 5.0 pro edition...

On rebooting I get the shutdown screen... then I if course get the
Bios info etc etc and the windows startup screen (with the little
green lights).... THEN I get another shitdown screen and the the PC
boots up... before installing the suite this did not happen...
after installing it it does... then I wiped my drive reinstalled a
backup which runs fine... so now I try 5.0 pro... same thing
happens... (note I am running E-trust anti-virus and ZA 4.5 before
this happens... this also prevents me from running a complete
scandisk as this is done during reboot... any help is appreciated...

regards,

Giovanni

--

=____________________________-
////// (____) RKBA _____|

On Tue, 25 May 2004 06:09:15 -0500, Giovanni Lentini <gioX@rkba.net>
wrote:

>I have tried both the 5.0 suite AND 5.0 Pro editions... I tried the
>suite first... noted the following problem... WIPED my HD and
>reinstalled a backup and then tried the 5.0 pro edition...
>

>On rebooting I get the shutdown screen... then I if course get the
>Bios info etc etc and the windows startup screen (with the little
>green lights).... THEN I get another shitdown screen and the the PC
>boots up... before installing the suite this did not happen...
>after installing it it does... then I wiped my drive reinstalled a
>backup which runs fine... so now I try 5.0 pro... same thing
>happens... (note I am running E-trust anti-virus and ZA 4.5 before
>this happens... this also prevents me from running a complete
>scandisk as this is done during reboot... any help is appreciated...
>
>regards,

There's a problem with the ZAP 5 update, and Zone Lab pulled
it down for rework. See my other message on this subject.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

> There's a problem with the ZAP 5 update, and Zone Lab pulled
> it down for rework. See my other message on this subject.

I was unaware of any issues. I just tonight got automated message about ZAP
5 update and went for it on two machines. If this version was pulled then
maybe it is back with fix or for some other reason it was sent to my system.
So far so good.

John

Subject: Re: ZoneAlarm 5.0 Problem
From: Bucky Breeder <spam.by.the.gram@green.eggs.and.ham>
Newsgroups: comp.security.firewalls

> Words are woefully inadequate for me to express my utter and absolute
> delight that anyone in general, and that you in particular, has had
> good experience with ZA's "install over" option! It just doesn't always
> work for everybody for some reason. ZA's Support used to have a
> knowledge base article on it. They have removed it now. (Search for
> "uninstall" and leads to dead links and re-directs.) [But me, being the
> pack-rat that I am, downloaded and archived the somewhat complex web-
> page article. It's WindowsXP specific. I didn't need the Win9x version,
> and now regrettably, I wish I'd snagged that as well. I may RAR it up
> and post it somewhere's if someone really wants the procedure - which
> they are evidently trying to obfuscate now, for some reason. Perhaps
> because it listed many of the hidden files and registry keys to be
> removed.]

Totally agree with you.The link used to be...
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/support/znalmInstallFAQ.jsp
After trying ZA once and uninstalling (without the true vector being
disabled ..it was ticked to start with windows),I found that page and was
shocked by how much junk and .vxd .dlls ZA leaves behind in the windows
system folder.Personally after my experience with it i wouldnt touch ZA with
a bargepole.I would like however to have that uninstall procedure again as
many friends have ZA at the moment and wish they hadnt.If you do have a link
for the xp/98 uninstalltion procedure it would be appreciated.Saves a lot of
time checking all the .vxd /.dll properties and searching for zonelabs :)
me