Ideal case for quiet cooling

12th_Man

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2003
I'm going to be bulding a P4 2.4c system pretty soon and have pretty much everything worked out except for the case and cooling strategy. I'm pretty new to this stuff and looking for advice.

My main concerns are first cost and then noise levels. Basically I want a system that I won't notice if I'm studying or trying to sleep for as cheap as possible. I'm not planning on overclocking (if I change my mind I'll beef up the cooling system later), and I'm not a gamer so I won't have an ultra hot video card to worry about if that matters.

Also, I'm willing to experement with ducts or other cheap case mods if it means the system will be quieter or cooler. And I don't care what it looks like, I'm in college and I don't have a wife who might complain. The box will sit on a capeted floor with air flow all around it. Ambient temps should say between 68-74 F all year round.

My main question is what is a good but affordable case that lends itself to being easily cooled? Should I get a really cheap case and just go to work with a dremmel since I don't care about looks? How big of a concern is dust in your case? Could I cut holes in a case and cover them with something like grill cloth to improve air flow? What about fan configuration?

Like I said before, I'm just a newbie trying to learn from the masters. Please give me any suggestions you can think of.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
All that stuff will help. In my opinion most cases with the same hardware sound about the same. The best way to stop noise is at its sorce...pabst and panaflo fans are usually good for this.

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
The best case is one you make/mod yourself. I turned my standard midi case into a super cooler. All i did was cut a hole above the cpu on the side panel and place a plastic bottle just long enough to cover the fan on the heatsink, inside the case. Also to keep system temps cool i use 3 silent 80mm 40cfm fans blowing cool air in (1 at bottom of case, 1 at side of graphics card and 1 at side of heatsink)and a dual fan psu blowing air out.

This combination is fairly quiet(just a gentle humming) and keeps temperatures upto 10 degrees lower for cpu and case (typically 50c-55c for cpu and 39-41c case before mods, 43c-47c for cpu and 35-36c case after mods). I actually enjoyed cutting holes and fitting fans etc, just a pitty the side of my case now has 4 huge holes in it hehe...

If your wondering, yes I am a very mad overclocker. Currently running a tbred 2100 @ 2.2ghz, thats 500mhz over stock and an extra .175 volts. I cant wait till i get my 2800 barton!

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=945569" target="_new"> MY RIG </A>
<font color=red> 120% overclocker </font color=red> (cheapskate)