Sign in with
Your question

OC FSB and Data Corruption

Last response: in Overclocking
July 2, 2003 5:58:57 PM

A year or two ago there was a lot of talk about data corruption when overclocking the FSB because it created abnormal frequencies along the AGP & PCI buses, so many people preferred to just overclock the multiplier. There hasn't been much talk about that lately, as everyone seems addicted to the FSB overclock. Have things changed and the MB manufacturers found ways to fix this in recent months or should I still try to keep my FSB at a nice divisable number like 166 or 200?
-Brett

More about : fsb data corruption

July 3, 2003 5:28:49 AM

i dont know about the "data corruption level" now. Its safe if u keep the FSB with ur mobo Chipsets limits. that is 166 for the KT400 and 200 for the nForce2-400.

Personally, whenever i set the CPU clock beyond its limit, there wud be a Windows error. then when i wud restart, Registry Checker wud check-in and restore Registry from an earlier date. I wud lose a few of my earlier settings(mostly tweak settings), but only once have i lost any data.
I was downloading 3DMark 03. I had downloaded 110MB over 4 days on my painfully slow Dial Up. Then, i tried to overclock and registry checker kicked in, wiped out the registry entries for the download. Though the fragmented 3D Mark 03 files were still in my temp directory, i had to redownload the whole thing. thats the kinda of data corruption i had.

<b><font color=red>The statement below is True.</font color=red>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=959979" target="_new">3DMark 03 score - 297 </A> :cool:
<font color=blue> The statement above is false.</font color=blue></b>
July 3, 2003 5:57:13 AM

I thought that with a Nforce2 board, the PCI and AGP freq are locked....
Related resources
July 3, 2003 6:01:39 AM

exactly...thats why there is no talk of data corruption...or not much at least. Also even the boards w/o locked agp speed are able to o/c w/o too much difficulty because of a wide number of agp/pci dividers available now.
July 3, 2003 2:03:25 PM

For nForce2 there is no fear of running the PCI bus out of spec. The PCI bus is independent of the FSB.

<b><font color=blue>Logic over all.</font color=blue></b>
July 3, 2003 2:30:50 PM

Most modern chipsets have a locked AGP/PCI bus clock. And the increased dividers (actually decreased) make it more difficult to reach high PCI speeds.

Example:
With 133MHz FSB and 1/4 divider you would hit the 40 MHz PCI at 160MHz FSB... total FSB increasement 27MHz
Now with 200 MHz FSB and 1/6 divider you will reach 40 MHz at 240MHz FSB, total increasement 40 MHz.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek: 
July 3, 2003 6:19:26 PM

Gotcha, thanks.
-Brett
July 4, 2003 12:07:24 AM

why would the AGP or PCI bus speeds have anything to do with data corruption? Data corruption happens on your harddrive which isn't attached to PCI or AGP so I don't see how this would affect it..?

NEW SYSTEM:
P4 2.8c (800fsb), Abit IS7, Kingston HyperX PC3500 (2 x 512mb), IBM Deskstar (60 gig @ 7200rpm)
OLDER SYSTEM:
P3 850mhz (100fsb), Asus CUV4X, 620mb Micron PC133, WD 40gig 7200rpm
July 4, 2003 2:40:52 AM

the ide controller is on the pci bus though...you see now?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 4, 2003 6:00:49 AM

Hehe, I've actually seen a WD hard drive DAMAGED by PCI overclocking. I don't know how exactly, but it had to do with the signal from the overclocked IDE controller, damaging the controller on the bottom of the drive!

While that's uncommon, you can easily understand how corruption could be caused by the IDE controller being overclocked.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
July 4, 2003 6:29:32 AM

what fsb and what board (don't tell me 440bx plz!)
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 4, 2003 6:55:04 AM

OK, I won't tell you 440BX then. But I will tell you that a DIFFERENT drive on the SAME board had no corruption problems. In fact, SEVERAL older drives had corruption problems, 1 drive failed completely, and the newer drives had no problem.

The drive that failed was a Western Digital 10GB if I recall correctly. My guess is that the clock rate of the interface chip on the drive is probably set by the pulse rate of the IDE controller, and that increasing the bus speed increases the pulse rate, effectively overclocking your hard drive's onboard controller.

But the good news was that no recent drives (ie, less than 2 years old) were harmed in the testing of that board.

July 4, 2003 2:00:15 PM

very interesting.. never knew that by overclocking the pci and agp buses that this also overclocks the ide controller? Maybe that's how I corrupted data on my old p3 system because when I pushed the FSB up, it also pushed the IDE contoller, PCI, and AGP buses up as well. I don't believe my old SE6 had a fixed PCI, AGP bus... interesting..

So should I assume now with my new Abit IS7 board that I WON'T corrupt any data by experimenting with OC settings?

Same IBM Deskstar 75gxp 60 HD I had when it was on the p3 system and got corrupted as I have now on my new p4 IS7 system.

NEW SYSTEM:
P4 2.8c (800fsb), Abit IS7, Kingston HyperX PC3500 (2 x 512mb), IBM Deskstar (60 gig @ 7200rpm)
OLDER SYSTEM:
P3 850mhz (100fsb), Asus CUV4X, 620mb Micron PC133, WD 40gig 7200rpm
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 4, 2003 5:15:50 PM

The only files you can corrupt on your new platform are the ones that are in use when your system runs amok (that is, the ones that are being processed when the processor gets unstable, or the ones that are in RAM when the RAM gets unstable).

In cases like that your OS is usually repairable and your stored files are unaffected.

July 4, 2003 7:02:40 PM

got a two year old fugitsu 15gb hard drive...will cross my fingers when i get my new board.
!