Use Standard ATX Power Supply with Compaq Mobo

Hello All. I was searching on how to use a standard ATX power supply
with a Compaq Motherboard because my Compaq's Power Supply just died;
and I found this forum. I found some information in the following post:

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/8829/120374.html

But it is still unclear to me on how to do it. I would like to use the
420W power supply that I have instead of the old 235W that my Compaq
5430US has. The atx power supply has a 20 pin conncetor and the
Motherboard needs a 24 pin, so I bought an adapter but it doesn't work.
Still no power gets to the motherboard. I know I have to re-arrange
some cables from the power supply, but I don't know which ones.

I have searched tons and tons of groups here at google, but no answer
to my question, other than a few I've seen that said they tried to use
a standard ATX with a propietary Mobo, Compaq in this case, but had no
luck.

Can anyone please give me some instructions on how to make the new
power supply work with the Motherboard? I really don't have money to
buy a new motherboard and throw this one out the window; or get a new
power supply from compaq, which is $95

Thank you very much.

Thanks, I've looked there, but they don't sell any converters. I just
didn't want to buy another power supply, but use the one I already have.

Look at some of the conversion cables they have at power-on.com or even a
replacement PSU that matches the Compaq Specs.
http://www.power-on.com/compaq.html

KC

"marimol" <mariomonzon@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hello All. I was searching on how to use a standard ATX power supply
> with a Compaq Motherboard because my Compaq's Power Supply just died;
> and I found this forum. I found some information in the following post:
>
> http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/8829/120374.html
>
> But it is still unclear to me on how to do it. I would like to use the
> 420W power supply that I have instead of the old 235W that my Compaq
> 5430US has. The atx power supply has a 20 pin conncetor and the
> Motherboard needs a 24 pin, so I bought an adapter but it doesn't work.
> Still no power gets to the motherboard. I know I have to re-arrange
> some cables from the power supply, but I don't know which ones.
>
> I have searched tons and tons of groups here at google, but no answer
> to my question, other than a few I've seen that said they tried to use
> a standard ATX with a propietary Mobo, Compaq in this case, but had no
> luck.
>
> Can anyone please give me some instructions on how to make the new
> power supply work with the Motherboard? I really don't have money to
> buy a new motherboard and throw this one out the window; or get a new
> power supply from compaq, which is $95
>
> Thank you very much.

Connector adaptors are all I see
http://www.power-on.com/connectors-adapters.html

> Thanks, I've looked there, but they don't sell any converters. I just
> didn't want to buy another power supply, but use the one I already have.

My bad, I should've specified, sorry. What I meant is that they don't
sell Converters or adapters to go from a standart ATX power supply to a
propietary design, such as Compaq's. Since Compaq uses different
pinouts than the standart ATX does, an ATX power supply does not work.
So that is why I was looking for a way to make a standard ATX power
supply work with a Compaq motherboard. But no one appears to sell any
adapters/converters that do the job.