Use Standard ATX Power Supply with Compaq Mobo

Hello All. I was searching on how to use a standard ATX power supply
with a Compaq Motherboard because my Compaq's Power Supply just died;
and I found this forum. I found some information in the following post:

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/8829/120374.html

But it is still unclear to me on how to do it. I would like to use the
420W power supply that I have instead of the old 235W that my Compaq
5430US has. The atx power supply has a 20 pin conncetor and the
Motherboard needs a 24 pin, so I bought an adapter but it doesn't work.
Still no power gets to the motherboard. I know I have to re-arrange
some cables from the power supply, but I don't know which ones.

I have searched tons and tons of groups here at google, but no answer
to my question, other than a few I've seen that said they tried to use
a standard ATX with a propietary Mobo, Compaq in this case, but had no
luck.

Can anyone please give me some instructions on how to make the new
power supply work with the Motherboard? I really don't have money to
buy a new motherboard and throw this one out the window; or get a new
power supply from compaq, which is $95

Thank you very much.
4 answers Last reply
More about standard power supply compaq mobo

    Thanks, I've looked there, but they don't sell any converters. I just
    didn't want to buy another power supply, but use the one I already have.

    Look at some of the conversion cables they have at power-on.com or even a
    replacement PSU that matches the Compaq Specs.
    http://www.power-on.com/compaq.html

    KC

    "marimol" <mariomonzon@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Hello All. I was searching on how to use a standard ATX power supply
    > with a Compaq Motherboard because my Compaq's Power Supply just died;
    > and I found this forum. I found some information in the following post:
    >
    > http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/8829/120374.html
    >
    > But it is still unclear to me on how to do it. I would like to use the
    > 420W power supply that I have instead of the old 235W that my Compaq
    > 5430US has. The atx power supply has a 20 pin conncetor and the
    > Motherboard needs a 24 pin, so I bought an adapter but it doesn't work.
    > Still no power gets to the motherboard. I know I have to re-arrange
    > some cables from the power supply, but I don't know which ones.
    >
    > I have searched tons and tons of groups here at google, but no answer
    > to my question, other than a few I've seen that said they tried to use
    > a standard ATX with a propietary Mobo, Compaq in this case, but had no
    > luck.
    >
    > Can anyone please give me some instructions on how to make the new
    > power supply work with the Motherboard? I really don't have money to
    > buy a new motherboard and throw this one out the window; or get a new
    > power supply from compaq, which is $95
    >
    > Thank you very much.

    Connector adaptors are all I see
    http://www.power-on.com/connectors-adapters.html

    > Thanks, I've looked there, but they don't sell any converters. I just
    > didn't want to buy another power supply, but use the one I already have.

    My bad, I should've specified, sorry. What I meant is that they don't
    sell Converters or adapters to go from a standart ATX power supply to a
    propietary design, such as Compaq's. Since Compaq uses different
    pinouts than the standart ATX does, an ATX power supply does not work.
    So that is why I was looking for a way to make a standard ATX power
    supply work with a Compaq motherboard. But no one appears to sell any
    adapters/converters that do the job.

Compaq Motherboards Power Supplies ATX Computers