DIY watercooling parts and providers

r0man

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003
Hi people, I am about to make a DIY watercooling system, but as "DIY" as possible, because I finished designing my own waterblock, well I cant make a pump (so I use an Hydor Seltz L30), I also took the design of the passive ZALMAN ZM-HP-80A cooler and will make a block for VGA but that ressembles it (To help dissipate the heat). But my problem is with good radiator, because I cant figure out how to build one, is a little diffcult. And if it could be not a common radiator (I think that common radiators dont have good surface for contact with water). So in general, I would appreciate any help with really DIY watercooling parts, like blocks, home made radiators, etc. And cheap providers (better if the sell online) for basic parts, or maybe there is someone who can make a part based on my designs.
Ah, is it possible to make a peltier or is better to buy one?
Thank you,
Roman.

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
so you need to find a copper block to make your waterblock from? i know danger den sells just metal blocks <A HREF="http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Metal/metal_stock.asp" target="_new">here</A>. the measurements are in inches, where 2.54cm = 1 inch
for the radiator, get a car radiator like svol said
for the fan, you're probably going to have to buy one right..?
gonna have to buy the tubing
i don't see you making a peltier either
so really the only thing you can make is the block - which is still more than most people do - good luck with that

<A HREF="http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/ayb2.swf" target="_new">411 UR 84$3 R 8310N6 2 U$</A>

r0man

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003
Ok I see that I must forget the experiment with homemade peltiers (as I also saw on internet.. internet=google??).
As the waterblock will have a transparent cover, I am not sure if I should use plexiglass or polycarbonate material, since polycarbonate is 10 times more resitent to shocks but more sensible to acid or alcaline environment. I think that since the water for cooling is distilled it wont be a problem with polycarbonate, that also has higher melting temperature.

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
find out how basic or acidic Water Wetter is (or whatever substance you'll use)

<A HREF="http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/ayb2.swf" target="_new">411 UR 84$3 R 8310N6 2 U$</A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Definately visit a spare parts shop or used caryard. The number of oil coolers or heater elements available is staggering, and you are bound to find one thats the right size for you.

<b>My CPU is so powerful its faster than Melb_Angel's Laptop!</b> :eek: <i>(Plus it's not pink)</i>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
polycarbonate is fine...it will fog when in contact with harsh chemicals but will not melt or anything (unless it is REALLY harsh...will hold up to acetone though)...it may become a bit more brittle. But for something like water weter which i would assume is basically alchohl polycarbonate will neither fog or become britle.

svol

Champion
Actually WaterWetter contains alkalines... so polycarbonate would be a bad choice if he wants to use that.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek:

r0man

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003
I think I wont use water wetter, but i want to add some phosforescent liquid to the water, does it have bad effect on heat dissipation? And what if I use some kind of alcohol, say isopropylic, since they have lower boiling point, i think it could help.. Or I am wrong?
I also saw some design of radiators where the water heat is transmitted to a coolant inside a radiator (I think the same of a refrigerator) and the coolant's heat is transmitted to the air through the radiator itself. Anybody know if such kind of radiators exist on the market for the PC?

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
just like svol said, but its no the radiator you're looking for, thats kinda big and will cost too much - use a car's "heater core" for your radiator - thats what i did (from a 1973 buick, costed me $20 and its 13" x 6 1/2" x 2 1/2").

<b>Stupid summertime - cables stretch, now DSL won't work. Wanna know how much fun 33.6kbps is? ITS NOT.</b>

svol

Champion
I don't think phosforescent liquid would interfere with the cooling cabilities as a lot of OC'ers use it.
But I've never tried something like alcohol... I wouldn't try it because it is much more flameable and you need to redesing your system so it efficiently uses the vaporising capability of the alcohol (in other words design a phase-change system which is difficult and takes lots of time).

I never saw a refrigerator like radiators, most of them are probably hand made from old parts of a freezer... but then you run the change of get sub ambient temps which bring condensation everywhere the water runs (so you have to isolate your entire system).
I do know that there are waterchiller devices based on peltiers but then you also run the chance of condensation and they're much less efficient then a good radiator and some quiet fans (and also use way mroe power).

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek: