Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows 7 64bit lags

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
Share
October 31, 2010 5:27:41 AM

i am using 64 bit ver of windows 7
for one or two weeks thing were fine, but then suddenly i found that system lags when any apps are launched or when any webpage in being loaded,

i was using 32 bit ver of windows 7 ultimate and now i am using 64 bit ver of windows ultimate (genuine retail OEM version)
things were fine when i was using 32 bit,

i havent noticed any lags in games (gta 4),

i am using quick heal antivirus & quick heal firewall pro,
this lags appear after 1 or 2 hours after the system is started,
in lags the mouse stutters, when listening audio it gets kind of stuck (you get what i mean)
every tin gstucks and lags .

could this be because af the HDD, its four years old, 160 gigs,

but still has score of 5.7 in windows experience index which is my base score.

i am running an intel core 2 quad q8300 2.5 ghz ,gts 250 1gb & 4 gigs of ram.

and yes my windows is updated.

More about : windows 64bit lags

October 31, 2010 5:42:17 AM

get rid of that AV combo and go with something more credible and it wouldn't hurt to grab a modern HD due to their extremely cheap prices, like the caviar blues...
m
0
l
October 31, 2010 11:55:43 AM

do you mean my HDD is the problem?
is that a bottleneck in my system??

i am also running a hitachi 500GB for storage and the seagate 160GB for sytem files.

should i keep my system files in other drive and use the seagate for backup??

and which antivirus do you recommend?
isn`t quickheal good cos finally it does its job!!
m
0
l
Related resources
November 1, 2010 9:17:18 AM

It could be your hard drive.
Does it make any odd noises ? Clicking sounds ? What you described is a classic drive not responding for a moment scenario.
They usually give signs of impending failure but not always.

As for that Antivirus I never even heard of it before :/ 

I use Avira its free.
m
0
l
November 1, 2010 11:03:58 AM

thelvyn said:
It could be your hard drive.
Does it make any odd noises ? Clicking sounds ? What you described is a classic drive not responding for a moment scenario.
They usually give signs of impending failure but not always.

As for that Antivirus I never even heard of it before :/ 

I use Avira its free.

no its not making any noises.
and when i checked its health in speedfan its good.

and about antivirus
the place where i live this antivirus is popular
and when i was running 32bit OS this antivirus was running great.

so i dont think it should be a problem as it supports windows 7 64 bit.
m
0
l
November 1, 2010 11:40:09 AM

Hardware can be funny.
Sometimes a hard drive will act fine but occasionally stutter like you described in your earlier post.
This is caused as the drive tries to read a sector but can not or fails several times before finally succeeding. Meantime the whole system hangs.
Sometimes it will make a chattering type sound for a while and slowly die.
Sometimes it will just die with no warning whatsoever.

Point is just cause speedfan says it is ok doesnt mean it really is. Sometimes they lie. "Smart"(Which is what speedfan is using) isnt perfect.

It is your most likely point of failure especially at 4 years old.
m
0
l
November 2, 2010 4:57:40 AM

thelvyn said:
Hardware can be funny.
Sometimes a hard drive will act fine but occasionally stutter like you described in your earlier post.
This is caused as the drive tries to read a sector but can not or fails several times before finally succeeding. Meantime the whole system hangs.
Sometimes it will make a chattering type sound for a while and slowly die.
Sometimes it will just die with no warning whatsoever.

Point is just cause speedfan says it is ok doesnt mean it really is. Sometimes they lie. "Smart"(Which is what speedfan is using) isnt perfect.

It is your most likely point of failure especially at 4 years old.

is there anyway to check my hdd`s health correctly?
m
0
l
November 2, 2010 6:04:07 AM

The manufacturer of your HDD has free tools for you to check the health of your HDD, so just check their site.

you can also check the sectors of your HDD by opening the command prompt and typing in exactly as you see below:

chkdsk /f/r

once you paste/type that in and press enter, you will be prompted to say yes or no to having the HDD on next reboot, say yes and then reboot, see if chkdsk can find and fix or repair all errors.

check your HDD itself with the tools the manufacturer provides also.

a good AV and firewall is eset smart security, the AV is one of the best, fast and light, the firewall is young and upcoming but its a good one. You can just use it for 30 days and then if you like it purchase it, if not the free 30 day license runs out and choose something else. Always remember keep your AV up to date, an AV that is not updated is like having no AV at all, anything you download, always scan with up to date AV before you open it.

ESET Smart Security, it has a 30 day full free trial, try it first then buy a license after 30 days(click here) I love it and highly recommend it.

now go and uninstall your av and firewall and install and update eset smart security. then let it do a full scan, make your setting in eset's options like this:





make sure you set and apply those settings first before you do the full scan.

so do those 3 things and lets see what you get, only reason I don't think its your hdd is because it happens a couple of hours later.

Oh btw, download and install HWMonitor (click here) and let it run in the background, I like to see what your max temps are.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2010 7:01:29 AM

When it comes to antivirus for Windows 7, my first and only choice is Microsoft Security Essentials. It's lightweight, never nags you with random pop-ups, very effective, and best of all, completely free.
m
0
l
November 2, 2010 7:15:27 AM

im having the exact same problem. I have win 7 pro 64 bit. 965 BE amd quad core processor, 4 gigs of ram, and a 4-5 year old 250 gb 8mb cache hd. At first things were smooth, but recently ive noticed alot of lag, especially browsing the web. I was wondering if i should replace my hd as well.. :heink: 

edit: i also use avira.
m
0
l
November 2, 2010 9:17:12 AM

Has anyone checked whether the lag is induced because removeable media is being accessed? On my fresh 7 64bit install I see my DVD drive being accessed regularly - drive spins up, optics does a seek, even with no media loaded.
This slows my PC down on occasions, and only fix I can see it to remove the drive.
This problem is similar to the similar problem evident on NT 3.51 where the floppy drive would somehow be in the %PATH% of some applications.
Cheers

Ed
m
0
l
November 2, 2010 12:25:03 PM

Imageel said:
Has anyone checked whether the lag is induced because removeable media is being accessed? On my fresh 7 64bit install I see my DVD drive being accessed regularly - drive spins up, optics does a seek, even with no media loaded.
This slows my PC down on occasions, and only fix I can see it to remove the drive.
This problem is similar to the similar problem evident on NT 3.51 where the floppy drive would somehow be in the %PATH% of some applications.
Cheers

Ed

no its not because of any removable media!!
m
0
l
November 2, 2010 6:25:01 PM

Did you do what I asked?
m
0
l
November 3, 2010 3:32:10 AM

You could check event viewer and see if there are any errors there also. System is the most important but you might want to look at applications also.
m
0
l
November 3, 2010 12:37:14 PM

Tom Kamkari said:
The manufacturer of your HDD has free tools for you to check the health of your HDD, so just check their site.

you can also check the sectors of your HDD by opening the command prompt and typing in exactly as you see below:

chkdsk /f/r

once you paste/type that in and press enter, you will be prompted to say yes or no to having the HDD on next reboot, say yes and then reboot, see if chkdsk can find and fix or repair all errors.

check your HDD itself with the tools the manufacturer provides also.

a good AV and firewall is eset smart security, the AV is one of the best, fast and light, the firewall is young and upcoming but its a good one. You can just use it for 30 days and then if you like it purchase it, if not the free 30 day license runs out and choose something else. Always remember keep your AV up to date, an AV that is not updated is like having no AV at all, anything you download, always scan with up to date AV before you open it.

ESET Smart Security, it has a 30 day full free trial, try it first then buy a license after 30 days(click here) I love it and highly recommend it.

now go and uninstall your av and firewall and install and update eset smart security. then let it do a full scan, make your setting in eset's options like this:

]http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/728/threatsense.th.png

]http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3272/esetsettings.th.png

make sure you set and apply those settings first before you do the full scan.

so do those 3 things and lets see what you get, only reason I don't think its your hdd is because it happens a couple of hours later.

Oh btw, download and install HWMonitor (click here) and let it run in the background, I like to see what your max temps are.

i checked the hdd from command prompt as you said but found nothing.
i also downloaded that seatools from seagate`s website but don`t know how to use it.

and for antivirus i cant remove mine, cos i have paid for it.

and temps are around 39 deg on my seagate drive whereas on hitachi they are around 34 deg.
m
0
l
November 3, 2010 12:46:06 PM

computernewb said:
im having the exact same problem. I have win 7 pro 64 bit. 965 BE amd quad core processor, 4 gigs of ram, and a 4-5 year old 250 gb 8mb cache hd. At first things were smooth, but recently ive noticed alot of lag, especially browsing the web. I was wondering if i should replace my hd as well.. :heink: 

edit: i also use avira.

you are using avira and i m with quick heal,
so i don`t think the problems are due to antiviruses :non: 

by the way which web browser are you using?
are you experiencing any lags in games or other apps?

try using internet explorer 64bit, you will find it in the start menu.
try uninstalling any other web browsers from your system or ending up their processes and services but i recommend uninstalling them.

try this and notify me whether it works or noy.
m
0
l
November 3, 2010 6:26:01 PM

Ok hold on.

as for temps I wanted the pc to be working for a few hours and I want to see a screenshot of the whole app, will the temps of everything not just the hdd, I was not worried about the temp of the HDD to be honest with you, I like to know the temp for everything else, but we can get to that later.

Right now I want you to uninstall your anti virus, if you paid for it then all you do is just reinstall it, so uninstall the AV and firewall and do what I said, if you do have a virus and your AV is infected, right now its no good to you, I don't think its a virus but with these types of things its better to double check.

For seatools, run it, choose your language, choose the drive you want to test and then test it.
m
0
l
November 6, 2010 6:30:59 AM

Tom Kamkari said:
Ok hold on.

as for temps I wanted the pc to be working for a few hours and I want to see a screenshot of the whole app, will the temps of everything not just the hdd, I was not worried about the temp of the HDD to be honest with you, I like to know the temp for everything else, but we can get to that later.

Right now I want you to uninstall your anti virus, if you paid for it then all you do is just reinstall it, so uninstall the AV and firewall and do what I said, if you do have a virus and your AV is infected, right now its no good to you, I don't think its a virus but with these types of things its better to double check.

For seatools, run it, choose your language, choose the drive you want to test and then test it.

i ran sea tools & checked the drive in short tests and it passed.
the long tests were taking much time than i thought
i kept the pc running for nearly 12 hours but still it was only done less than half, & hence i aborted.

anyways thanks for your help and i find my hdd to be a bottleneck in my system as it takes so much time to load apps,
& now i have got some money to spend so i am thinking of switching to an ssd.
m
0
l
!