Sign in with
Your question

Far cry 3 - annoying shading problem

Last response: in Video Games
December 11, 2012 9:01:28 PM

hey, I'm getting this annoying problem with the shading for far cry 3 and was wondering if anyone knows a way to fix it? tried playing around with the video settings but can't get anything to work.

Here's a link to a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/9I6dC.jpg

Im playing on a HP envy 15 (2012) laptop with Radeon 7690M grpahics. Not top range but seems to play the game fine on medium settings despite the shading problem.

a b α HP
December 11, 2012 9:06:07 PM

Hi :) 

Try it on low...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
December 11, 2012 9:10:34 PM

already tried it on low. still the same problem
m
l
Related resources
a b α HP
December 11, 2012 9:12:31 PM

Hi :) 

Assuming its updated to latest patch, then not a lot you can do....its the graphics in the lappy letting you down...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
December 11, 2012 9:16:42 PM

Looks like a driver problem, and not lack of graphics power. Did you try installing the new beta driver?
m
l
December 11, 2012 10:53:51 PM

aren't the beta drivers for the desktop graphics only?
m
l
December 12, 2012 1:01:53 AM

The Catalyst Beta drivers also support laptops, provided they aren't manufactured by Toshiba, Sony or Panasonic. Since you have an HP notebook, you should be able to use the latest beta driver.
m
l
December 12, 2012 10:54:51 AM

installed latest beta drivers. Kinda seems like its partially better now, but still noticeable. anyone got any more suggestions I could try out?
m
l
December 12, 2012 12:30:16 PM

Not much else you can do apart from reinstalling windows. If even that doesn't work, you'd at least know it's not a software problem and could contact the warranty.
m
l
December 13, 2012 9:40:41 PM

dexz said:
installed latest beta drivers. Kinda seems like its partially better now, but still noticeable. anyone got any more suggestions I could try out?

Best solution is to run the game, go to ''Options'' then ''Video'' (not Video Quality).......right in the middle it says "DIRECTX" change that into directx 9 instead directx11..then restart the game...nothing will change in the graphic but gets rid of that rectangular shadowy thing......hope this helps.......play co-op with me ign: JNpurple

P.S. I had the same problem but I don't know if it may reduce your FPS rate....mine didn't....runs smooth with directx9
m
l
December 14, 2012 12:40:05 AM

I'm having the same issue on my card (just the lower half is shadded weirdly). I have a vastly different computer than yours.

However I only have this issue when I use HDAO, if I switch to SSAO or HBAO it disapears. So try switching your ambient occlusion method and see if that helps.

I'd like to use HDAO, so if anyone has a solution to that then let us know!
m
l
January 21, 2013 4:59:03 PM

dexz said:
hey, I'm getting this annoying problem with the shading for far cry 3 and was wondering if anyone knows a way to fix it? tried playing around with the video settings but can't get anything to work.

Im playing on a HP envy 15 (2012) laptop with Radeon 7690M grpahics. Not top range but seems to play the game fine on medium settings despite the shading problem.

I am also having a different type of shading problem, small vertical strips - about 3-4 towards the right. I can assure you this is not due to hardware incompatibility as i am using a HD 7850 with i5 3550. My graphics settings are all set to Ultra, no V-SYNC, 4xMSAA. I will try and change the HBAO, HDAO and see if that helps.
m
l
January 29, 2013 1:48:31 PM

I have the exact same laptop as you, getting the same problem. We're you able to correct it?

dexz said:

m
l
!