Bummer: Crytek Denies Crysis 2 DirectX 11 Patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

xinpig

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Wow, crytek fails. so this next gen game is Dx9 only? I cant believe I wasted my money buying it on PC. I could be playing it with my friends instead on xbox.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I guess Crytek took profit over it's customers.

Look at the end of the day, the game looked nice and was/is fun to play but wasn't exactly the best visual experience out there.

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Only DX9? Is it just me, or does this feel like a slap in the face?

Then again, the news that DX11 would be patched in later was a bit surprising, considering Crytech doesn't have the best track record for supporting their products post-release, from Far Cry to Crysis Warhead.

jmvanderleeuw

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
"the PC version didn't ship with DirectX 11 support, instead requiring DirectX 9.0c at the very least"

DIRECTX 9.0c at the very least NOT DIRECTX 9 only.

The game supports DX9 and DX10 but NOT DX11

weaselsmasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
So here's an experiment. Take three DX11-capable systems that are hardware-identical and software-identical, down to the drivers. Take a few games that are capable of DX9, DX10, and DX11. Put them next to each other, run the game with maximum settings under each of the three DX versions. Now see how many people can correctly identify the DX11 game.

I would bet good money that even among a knowledgeable set of testers (say, GDC attendees or something like that), that the rate of correct identification will not be much more than a "random" 33%.

Crytek "owes" nobody DX11. Of COURSE they choose profit. They have to, if they want to stay in business, write paychecks that don't bounce, and pay rent and taxes. Any company that doesn't do that isn't a company for long (a fact utterly lost on the "I'm entitled to everything for free" generation, and on people who are utterly without clue on what it actually costs to run a AAA game company in the real world).

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I remember when the news came that crysis 2 will be available on consoles and the guys at crytech where all over the news screaming how this won't hurt PCs at all... what aces. I won't give them 1$ for this game. The company that made the most hi-end game a few years ago is such a let down now... I can't even believe this. F them, I'm going back to metro 2033 (on dx11, which shows a big difference compared to dx10,9)

sgtmattbaker

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Weaselsmasher: I can definitely tell the difference between the water in Crysis 1 and 2 as it is very.noticeable. That isn't even a DirectX thing though, the DX9 water in C1 still looks better.
Some games though aren't a whole lot different with the new API. I haven't played much of it, but Stalker Call of Pripyat doesn't look super different to me using DX9 vs. DX11. The only thing that changes drastically is there is dynamic weather (lightning, etc.)
You are right though, Crytek doesn't owe anybody anything and they have an obligation to make money. However, what they have done is they have lied to their original fanbase about the graphics, etc. and a result they will very likely lose their support.

bv90andy: yes I remember some nonsense talk about how "the consoles pushed Crysis 2 to be better because console players 'were more critical' ". Crysis 1 was and still is a spectacle. It is remarkable for its graphics and physics. I still have seen few games that match it in those aspects.
However, having a game that lacks DX11 or DX10 doesn't necessarily make it bad. The gameplay can be great and all the graphics need to do is to be decent. With Crysis 2 however it seems as if some of the gameplay and gameplay mechanics have been changed for the worst.

I'm glad they officially said this so now I don't have to get it for the PC at all. If they can't make the PC version with PC specific features (there isn't even a proper way to adjust graphics settings) then I'll just rent it for $10 and beat it in a few days on the xbox. Too bad for them though because I'm fairly certain they don't get any revenue from rentals.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]weaselsmasher[/nom]So here's an experiment. Take three DX11-capable systems that are hardware-identical and software-identical, down to the drivers. Take a few games that are capable of DX9, DX10, and DX11. Put them next to each other, run the game with maximum settings under each of the three DX versions. Now see how many people can correctly identify the DX11 game.I would bet good money that even among a knowledgeable set of testers (say, GDC attendees or something like that), that the rate of correct identification will not be much more than a "random" 33%. Crytek "owes" nobody DX11. Of COURSE they choose profit. They have to, if they want to stay in business, write paychecks that don't bounce, and pay rent and taxes. Any company that doesn't do that isn't a company for long (a fact utterly lost on the "I'm entitled to everything for free" generation, and on people who are utterly without clue on what it actually costs to run a AAA game company in the real world).[/citation]

Tired, boring argument that's basically the same as defending bands that sell out. There is no realistic defense. You're not allowed to say "Crysis 2 will not abandon PC gamers and will be built for PC gamers and we love you guys and would never abandon you" and then have textures and features that pale in comparison to your effort three years ago. Game companies get away with this all the time, remember Modern Warfare 2?

If a car manufacturer started making compact cars, but promised not compromise on the next model of their full-size sedan, and people bought one believing the company, and found out their fears were justified, there would be a successful lawsuit within the year. For some reason game companies are allowed to make bullshit promises that never make it into the finished product, and profit off of people that believed the bullshit promises. That would not fly in ANY other market except entertainment.

And Crytek does not NEED to choose money. The golden ferrari's they could have bought with the profits from Crysis 1 could have easy been repeated, but instead they got greedy.

The great justice to all of this is that the console release was pirated first. They won't learn that lesson, though.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
What's most disappointing is Crytek saying a while back, "Crysis 2 is a PC game made to fit on a console, not the other way round."
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108709-Crysis-2-Is-a-PC-Game-First-Console-Game-Second-Claims-Crytek

http://www.destructoid.com/crytek-crysis-2-is-developed-for-pc-first-not-consoles-197050.phtml

..but of course we all know what happened at launch (default aim assist, "Press Start" on the title screen, DX9 only, etc.

It's like Crytek is saying, "Now that we're on consoles, you PC users can piss off and suffer for a while because you pirated our first three games"

What they don't seem to care about is how many more people actually bought those first three games, laying the groundwork and then some to allow them to make a game as ambitious as Crysis 2 in the first place.

They really need to take a look and companies like Valve, Dice, CD Project Red, etc. Crysis 2 is pretty damn fun but considering it was designed and optimized to run on consoles, I was actually expecting much better performance, especially for DX9. Hell I get a higher average framerate in the original Crysis in DX10 on Very High. The only time the frames drop lower than Crysis 2 is around heavy HDR/vegetation, which is also constantly a lot more processor/memory intensive than any environment in Crysis 2.

sgtmattbaker

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Graphics aren't everything people... I guess for Crysis though they are a lot more important because the first was a technical masterpiece.
The best way to deal with this is how you deal with any other non-monopolistic company: don't give them your money and maybe send an email complaining or something. If you just HAVE to play it then wait to get a used or rent it and play it on a console.

Moving on: The industry is all about consoles people. Unless PCs are more profitable you won't see a lot of change. The biggest thing that bothers me in general is not graphics (although important), but gameplay. It seems like a well made PC game has its own feel to it. Most console ports just have a "console experience". If the only PC games we see from now on are straight console ports then I won't find many games all that interesting.

As a general rule, I feel good PC games are more complex, challenging and entertaining; however there are some console games/ports that are exceptions and are really fun. Even then though, I would prefer to play a game on the PC because I prefer using a mouse and keyboard and you can customize most PC games at least a little bit (save editors, etc.).

Gaming in general only has a handful of chances left this year. If Deus Ex Human Revolution (I hear Deus Ex 2 got "simplified"...), Mass Effect 3, Battlefield 3 and/or Batman: Arkham City aren't good then gaming is pretty much dead to me.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
maybe there is some miss understanding between the dev (crytek),, and the gamer (pc). crytek said,, "PC had to be the primary platform", so they meant to widen the audience so every pc gamer could enjoy their game. and then they lower the specs, mainstream graphics. but on the gamer side, "PC had to be the primary platform", they meant it must had the highest graphics as far as the hardware can go, like in crysis1 for 2011 era.. that means dx11.

im too dissapointed with the graphics.. as im playing crysis , for the graphics.

G

I think Crytex screw us over twice. First they never had dx11 support yet rumors and even nvidia says the game supports dx11 and they allow the rumors to spray so people can buy the game in hope of dx11 patch. Than they complety say "oh uuhh we no know bout patch or daH Xz 11". Disgrace and dusguisting. Anyone who still have their hope on crytex will good redence. A waste of money.

G

Crytek took heaps of flak for the high requirements for Crysis 1, and the constant accusation that the game was just a 'tech demo', despite the fact that it was actually a good game. So they focused on making sure Crysis 2 was a great game, and now they take flak for not making it enough of a tech demo.

The fact is, Crysis 1 wasn't anywhere near as profitable as most people seem to think, due to being on pc and having such steep hardware requirements. By making Crysis 2 multiplatform Crytek can hopefully bring in some serious cash so they can then afford to spend the time to do all the DX11 goodness right, rather than just throwing some cheap DX11 effects in there so they can tick off some checkboxes for the fanboys.

And in the end, don't forget, you should be buying hardware so that you can play good games, not buying games so that you can justify your hardware! A computer is just a tool, use it to do things, don't worship it.

bstm300

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
[citation][nom]schnitzelman[/nom]Crytek took heaps of flak for the high requirements for Crysis 1, and the constant accusation that the game was just a 'tech demo', despite the fact that it was actually a good game. So they focused on making sure Crysis 2 was a great game, and now they take flak for not making it enough of a tech demo.The fact is, Crysis 1 wasn't anywhere near as profitable as most people seem to think, due to being on pc and having such steep hardware requirements. By making Crysis 2 multiplatform Crytek can hopefully bring in some serious cash so they can then afford to spend the time to do all the DX11 goodness right, rather than just throwing some cheap DX11 effects in there so they can tick off some checkboxes for the fanboys.And in the end, don't forget, you should be buying hardware so that you can play good games, not buying games so that you can justify your hardware! A computer is just a tool, use it to do things, don't worship it.[/citation]

Yeah, but you're assuming too much. Do you really think they are just going to add in a DX11 patch out of the goodness of their hearts? I'm not sure that they will.

G

The DX11 issue is the least of the problems, it's still a great looking game. The real issues are the massive bugs in the sp campaign, which in my case have left it impossible to progress in, and the disaster that is crysis 2's multiplayer. Stability issues on servers, progression/stat resets and rampant unchecked cheating are destroying what could well be an awesome mp experience.

G

I'm buying it just because I wont be missing anything running it on my gtx260(no dx11!!)
...havent bought any other dx11 games cuz the lack dx11 h/w
nice to see someone releasing a game that everyone could play, the way its ment to be played ;-) and surprising really that that someone is none other than crytek

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Funny how every time crytek releases a game they do their best to avoid it selling well.
I wonder what they'll think of next? perhaps make a crysis 3 that only runs on x86 os'es and doesn't launch if you have more than one harddrive?

I'm buying it just because I wont be missing anything running it on my gtx260(no dx11!!)
...havent bought any other dx11 games cuz the lack dx11 h/w
nice to see someone releasing a game that everyone could play, the way its ment to be played ;-) and surprising really that that someone is none other than crytek

I'll forgive the lack of dx11 - if - they fix the multitude of bugs in sp and mp.

btw, my gtx 260 (upgraded to 570 yesterday for other more demanding games) and q6600, both stock, play crysis 2 on extreme at 30-40fps rofl...1080p too.

G

the whole point of this game was to make a intense graphics system that could be played on a more broad range of platforms. If the game had been released in DX11 that promise would have been broken and alot of people who cant afford higher end graphics chipsets would have been left behind. If a patch does come out it will need to be manually installed by the user to insure that only the people who can support it download it.

Status
Not open for further replies.