Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Steam games

Last response: in Video Games
December 12, 2012 8:24:20 AM

Hello

During the years i purchased quite alot of games on steam.
After building my new rig i decided to throw in a 120gb SSD boot drive and install the most demanding games i have on it aswell.
However, im a nostalgic person and i suddenly just -have- to play some old game i used to love.
It's not something i want to fill up my SSD with so my question is:
Is there any way to make 2 seperate game folders on 2 seperate discs?
I would prefer a solution that doesen't include a random program made by some random developers.

More about : steam games

December 12, 2012 8:58:00 AM

Install steam on the hdd. Recently steam has been asking me which drive I wanted to save the games to.

That might be because I used http://www.stefanjones.ca/steam/ and so it sees multiple directories.

There are some good tools available but it's mostly 3rd party.
m
l
December 12, 2012 9:03:07 AM

i have found that as of recently, steam now allows you to install games anywhere you like on your computer.
m
l
Related resources
December 12, 2012 9:03:36 AM

You can use junctions to install games in other places, but the best solution is to just not install Steam on your SSD honestly. The only time it would really be feasible would be if you play very few games on Steam, and the game(s) that you do play is multiplayer and actually benefits from an SSD in some way other than loading screens, such as games that stream textures from the harddrive, which are not all that common.
m
l
December 12, 2012 9:04:24 AM

silverliquicity said:
i have found that as of recently, steam now allows you to install games anywhere you like on your computer.

Can Steam call the install location without junctions? If so that is interesting.
m
l
December 12, 2012 9:07:42 AM

casualcolors said:
Can Steam call the install location without junctions? If so that is interesting.

Yes, this is a recent change. Before that I used symbolic links.
m
l
December 12, 2012 9:57:25 AM

silverliquicity said:

Anything special i need to do?
I can't find that option when i try to install them.
To be honest though, i haven't tried to install anything since Black Ops 2 was released, so if it happened after that then i can just give it a try once i get off work.
m
l
December 12, 2012 12:22:11 PM

I felt the same way Jarluski, i have a 500gb HDD in my system so when i go to install the games i wanna play but don't wanna drain my ssd i put them on my hdd.

Super easy to do because steam gives you the option to pick wherethe game installs to. :) 

Hope this helps.
m
l
December 12, 2012 1:48:34 PM

I though that was just me as I had already installed in other locations.

Can anyone verify that this is now a feature?
m
l
December 12, 2012 2:39:43 PM

If you have more then one harddrive connected to your system you can pick and choose.
m
l
December 12, 2012 8:28:36 PM

Not all games offer this option to install to another drive, for example none of valves games have this option, at least not for me.
m
l

Best solution

December 12, 2012 10:10:51 PM

ShadyHamster said:
Not all games offer this option to install to another drive, for example none of valves games have this option, at least not for me.

That's because they all run on the source engine, so they have to install to the same drive as the source engine. If you were to uninstall all Valve games, it would let you choose the drive.

Also, Darth Pravus, I hereby confirm that this is a feature. I read through the update news when the update was released, and it said something along the lines of "added the ability to install games to a different drive than your Steam directory."
December 13, 2012 4:22:07 AM

That's great news. Thanks for the replies gentlemen : )
m
l
December 13, 2012 4:22:14 AM

Best answer selected by Jarlsuki.
m
l
!