Recommend a PC Controller for PC Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
What's your recommendation for a PC Controller for PC Games?

I'm considering getting a wired controller for my PC to play PC games and wondered what people here with far more experience would recommend.

I got the Afterglow AX.1 last year but had trouble with drivers and other issues so, I had to take it back. But, that was with Windows XP and now I have Windows 7 so, would it work any better?

I prefer an XBox 360 type controller - but, I hesitate to get another of those Afterglow AX.1, but, I would if I knew it would work properly. Are there better choices? I know there are nice keyboard & mice out there but, I'm not ready to drop $250. Wired is fine for me to avoid dealing with batteries.

I am hoping to simply be able to plug-n-play without having to go through too much set-up trouble like with the keyboard - at least for newer games from like what ... 2010 onwards? I finally created a Steam account for my PC.

There's only a $10 price difference:

$29 AFTERGLOW AX.1 for Xbox 360
http://www.pdp.com/p-835-afterglow-ax1-for-xbox-360.aspx

$39 Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller for Windows
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/xbox-360-controller-for-windows

* Added edit: I'm also looking for a decent headset. What's a decent headset for the best price?

Solution
xbox controller works fine--after all microsoft make it

i just plugged mine in and the drivers were automatically installed--no set up needed

though i only use it for driving games as mouse and keyboard are still better for fps games

tinyE

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
It's not on your list and it's more expensive than those but I have a Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2, and I worship it. I play everything from very old to very new and it performs great, minus the rumble, which I tend to turn off as it is more annoying than anything. Most games I've installed automatically detect this exact model and that makes settings a lot easier.

As for wireless, I detest a wireless mouse, but I have to have a wireless gamepad as I tend to jump around more. So long as you stay within 20 yards of your pc you should be fine. Of course it's the only pad I've ever used so maybe you should take my recommendation with a grain of salt :D

depends what you mean by decent

and what a decent price is to you

i just replaced my old sennheissers as they leaked noise into the room--annoying my partner

so many headsets to choose from

but i went with corsair 1500

the sennheisers were better for music but the corsairs are decent enough and definately better in games

tinyE

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

Thats it. She may not be the prettiest girl at the ball, but she'll dance.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

Well, by "decent" I just mean something better than the cheapest - I'd rather have something that fits comfortably, sounds ok & has a decent mic so others can hear me too, but will last awhile.

I can't afford anything over around $40 right now (preferably $20 up to $40 max), which is a lot better than a $15 or $20 dollar piece of junk that doesn't last long. I prefer the "Around the Ear Headphones" so I can play late at night without it being too loud for others in the other rooms.

Sennheiser
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/headphones

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Okay, I went ahead and just got the Microsoft wired controller - I was unaware that it could be used on both XBox and the PC and it automatically includes 64-bit. There weren't many choices really so, going with Microsoft over the Afterglow AX.1 for only $10 more was a no brainner.

Now, I have opened up a HUGE CAN OF WORMS checking into gaming headsets - holy ***! I may have to open a new thread just for that. There are too many choices to choose from. What I need in a gaming headset is to cover all the basic bases - I need them to work, obviously, on the XBox and PC but, it would be sweet if they'd work fine for telephone, Skype and portable devices and were easy to pack in a suit case to travel with too.

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
It's going to be hard to find a headset that will work with both Xbox and PC. Xbox won't let you use 3.5 MM or USB headsets, so you generally have to get something specifically designed for Xbox, which often means it won't work with PC.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
^ I think that's a major reason I went with the Tritton Detonator specifically because they're so versatile and can be used on XBox and PC as well as many other mobile devices via 3.5mm or 2.5mm jacks. If I have to spend this much money on headphones they better freaking be able to be used on pretty much everything and that's what these do.

Here's a thorough video:

Tritton Detonator Headset Review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy-l18Kjbms

The Tritton Detonator has the 50mm drivers but, it's not surround sound. I do remember seeing on the box that it said these have a 2 year warranty.

On sale for $59 at Newegg down from $79
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874704002

From Newegg: "Features: Officially licensed for the Xbox 360 console, TRITTON's Detonator Stereo Headset will take your gaming audio to the next level. Independently adjust your chat volume and voice volume on-the-fly to optimize your audio experience. Easily enable or disable the ability to hear your own voice through the Headset with Selectable Voice Monitoring (SVM). Compatible with most MP3 players and mobile phones, the Detonator is ideal for all your gaming and music needs. Features Hear your own Voice with Selectable Voice Monitoring (SVM)"

Does 'Tom's Hardware' have a "Best Gaming Headsets for the money" type of thing? If not, maybe they should? How would one request such a thing?

Aarel

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
For headsets, I'd say this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6826158082

My friend has one, and it is pretty nice. The sound quality is great. Good value for $30.

As you can see from the reviews, it is generally well respected.

Had these once and loved them. very comfortable. Stepped on them once and snapped them to pieces.
Then, I got a pair of Turtle Beaches. Earforce X12 is the model I believe. They work for Xbox and PC, so check into them. They were upwards of $50-$60 when I got them a year ago, but they're probably a bit cheaper by now. They're great, never hurt my head and sound just fine. I have no complaints.

Aarel

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

Sorry for the late reply, but yes it does allow you to chat while gamimg. There are no adapters needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.