Solved

Need help understanding video settings terminology

Can someone give me a brief description of what these settings in video games mean, what they do and what would be the best option to set them to?

-Anisotropic filtering
-Light Bloom
-V sync
-Color depth
-Anti-aliasing
-Texture compression
-Screen resolution
-Mip mapping
-Lighting model
-Texture detail level
-Triple buffering
-Depth buffer
-Response time

Thanks in advance. I will be selecting best answer.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need understanding video settings terminology
  1. http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_10.html

This isnt everything you asked for on your list but i hope it helps.
  2. Thanks for that. It helped to an extent.
  3. Mip mapping just means storing the textures at different resolutions, as the further away they are the less pixels they use 'in scene' for a given resolution.
    - Most video cards drivers do this transparently now and combine it with Anisotropic filtering.
  4. Best answer
    -Anisotropic filtering - improves texture quality when viewing objects at an angle
    -Light Bloom - makes lightning look more camera-like
    -V sync - means vertical synchronization, removes image tearing when moving the frame
    -Color depth - how many bits represent a color in a given pixel
    -Anti-aliasing - smooths the edges of 3D objects
    -Texture compression - not entirely sure what this is but i think just a way of storing textures
    -Screen resolution - number of pixels shown on the screen
    -Mip mapping - textures have smaller resolution textures accompanying them in order to render the picture faster and remove aliasing
    -Lighting model -
    -Texture detail level - the resolution of the textures, improves the quality of the textures
    -Triple buffering - having more than one buffer to hold data, reducing artifacts
    -Depth buffer - assigns 3rd axis coordinates of 3D objects in a picture, so that the GPU can know what is visible and what to render.
    -Response time - time it takes for the monitor to update input from the GPU

It really depends on your GPU and the game you are playing, there isn't a best option. You should experiment with each game to see which settings suit your PC's performance. Bare in mind that Anti-aliasing and screen resolution have the biggest impact on the performance.
  5. Thanks for your two replies. Keremidko was helpful.
  6. Best answer selected by The Stealthinator.
Ask a new question

Read More

Video Settings Video Games Screen Resolution