Update CPU usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

steadfast1984

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
the total CPU usage just hovers around 90%. I call it idle because nothing is running, as in i dont have any load on it, there are no background programs with any load on them, there are no programs open period.

Iv hit it with everything i got in safemode. Malware bytes, windows malicious software removal tool, avast 5.0. everything comes up clean as a whistle.
still from time to time like once every day or 2. I will notice that my CPU monitor is running hard, all 4 cores are being worked up to around 90% usage. I check task manager in the processes and its Explorer.exe eating up all the usage. can't figure out why.

my PC specs are in my profile.

Solution
If it's explorer.exe it wonder whether it's trying to find a network drive or network printer or something that doesn't exist so 'hangs' for abit while it does that, then eventually gives up........? Do you know what you were doing before this problem starts?

Have you tried running a System Restore from the day before the problems started happening to see if that helps?

superfishnz

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
If it's explorer.exe it wonder whether it's trying to find a network drive or network printer or something that doesn't exist so 'hangs' for abit while it does that, then eventually gives up........? Do you know what you were doing before this problem starts?

Have you tried running a System Restore from the day before the problems started happening to see if that helps?

Solution

verbalizer

Distinguished
i'm thinking software corruption of some sort.
sounds like you need a fresh install of the OS.
a clean formatting and install.
if that doesn't work then re-setting and clearing of BIOS and CMOS.
try it again.
and if that doesn't work then were talking mobo and/or cpu.
so try the above first.

superfishnz

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Yes, a fresh install and wipe/format will do the trick, but don't you think that's abit extreme though? That would mean he'll have to reinstall all his programs, backup his data and restore that, not to mention all the updates and setting up personal settings etc.... Wouldn't it be better to try to get to the root of the problem and find out what might be causing it instead of doing a fresh reinstall?

I think if we put a "time spent to resolve" vs "time to reinstall" component in that, it might make sense to do a fresh reinstall but that's all dependent on how much time he has spent on it already.

If it's a software corruption, there are other solutions such as doing a "sfc /scannow" to recan the system files etc as well...... but to me, doing a fresh install and format is abit extreme.

verbalizer

Distinguished
^
no, not extreme, just the most effective and time effective way.
what if the root of the problem is embedded and maybe the op (no offense) isn't as swift with the gift of computing...?
just a thought.
a. plus one (+1) to the sfc/scannow...

superfishnz

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
In situations like this, I would factor in a "time spent to resolve" versus "time to reinstall".

If for example, he's spent already 10 hours or so trying to find a solution and still no resolution, then it would be better to do a fresh reinstall. If he's only spent 1-2 hrs, it would probably be feasible to keep going.

For me, if it takes 4 hours and still no resolution, then it's probably best to stop and evaluate the situation again and consider a fresh reinstall............

Just my thoughts.

steadfast1984

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
yeah a clean install is rather extreme seeing as it was done less then 3 months ago. Thanks for the input on that i do say.

Problem was the network card. system was hanging trying to figure out what to do with a non functioning piece of hardware. I took it out and having had a CPU hanging problem since. Thanks for reminding me that I left it in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.