falconrock2 vs falconrock1

wigwam

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2003
Hi
i have just bought the raptorcool [aka falconrock2] to replace my stock hsf. i thought it would be better than the falconrock1 was it has a much more user-friendly mounting clip, is quiter and supports the same range of cpus. I now note however that the fan cfm rating is much lower...

does anyone have experience of using either/both or know how the cooling potentials of the 2 compare? I currently o/c my 2100+ to 1992 Mhz on stock and was plannig to "explore" the 200Mhz FSB. I assume the falconrock 2 will still be better than stock but is the older version beter still for cooling with a faster fan?

thanks for your advice

Fallen

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
I am using the Falconrock II right now, and I can tell you that the fan is weak. If you replace it with a more powerful (louder) fan, it will probably do really well. I am running an XP 1700 oc'ed to 2100Mhz, and it HEATS UP. During UT2K3 I often hit over 60 C.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Neither of those heatsinks are intended for overclocking, not in stock trim.

As for performance, if you look at the spec sheets they cool almost identically. The <A HREF="http://www.speeze.com/products/fcc.asp?ProdID=84" target="_new">RaptorCool 1 (Falconrock II)</A> has a thermal resistance of 0.558 deg C/W while the <A HREF="http://www.speeze.com/products/fcc.asp?ProdID=81" target="_new">Falconrock (1)</A> has 0.556 deg C/W. What that means is (in case you don't already know) is for each watt of power consumed by the processor the core temp will go up about 0.56 degrees above ambient. For a stock XP2100+ at about 56 watts (typical power dissipation) you can expect a temp increase of 0.56 (thermal resistance) * 56 (power in watts) = 31.36 degrees. Your CPU will run about 31 degrees above case temperature. For your overclocked processor you're dissipating more power, 60 - 75 watts. You'd be seeing temps like 34 degrees to 42 degrees above case temp.

By today's standards these are not great numbers but two years ago you would have been using a 40 dBA fan to get 0.56 deg C/W.

The difference now is you are looking at two quiet heatsinks. The Falconrock I does it with a 1.5 watt fan at 26.5 dBA of noise and the Falconrock II uses a measly 1.08 watt fan with only 25 dBA of noise.

This tells you something about how efficient the actual heatsinks are. From what I hear the Falconrock II nearly matches the performance of the Thermalright SLK-800 when the same fans are used.

Both are great heatsinks but here in the USA the Falconrock II is just recently available and only costs $12 (and it includes a fan) while the SLK-800 goes for about $35, fan not included.

Replace the fan on the Falconrock II with something like a Smartfan II and you can choose between either quiet operation or hardcore overclocking (well, hardcore, AIR-COOLED, overclocking) or anything in between.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 07/10/03 07:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yes, the falconrockII IS a good heatsink, and has been shown to cool well, but for anything apart from stock you should use a more powerful fan. An enermax adjustable or Thermaltake smartfan2 should fit the job.
Particularly the smartfan2 with its speed dependent on temp.

I used one with good sucess on my MCX462.

<b>My CPU is so powerful its faster than Melb_Angel's Laptop!</b> :eek: <i>(Plus it's not pink)</i>

wigwam

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2003
many thanks all
to be fair my machine is currently fast enough for my needs so i will try VERY HARD not to play with the FSB/multi and enjoy quiet computing. Then, as you say i can look to change the fan...
As you say, it is great to have a decent HSF at such a low price.

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I've got the FalconRockI on a 2600+ now, and it runs cool and quiet as crap for a great price

I've only used the I, but I've heard great things about both

It's all good ^_^

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Are Spire and Speeze somhow associated?
The Speeze 80mm coolers at newegg seam to be exactly the same as some on the SpireUsa site! Prices are better at newegg... and the Speeze all-alluminum version of the Falconrock seams to cool exactly the same as the falconrock.

wigwam

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2003
wot he said. fanner/speeze/spire are interchangable. amusingly on their websites for the uk they all have the same address/phone number for all 3 "names" of company!

just as an update i plummed for the raptorcool [aka falconrock2] and installed it last nite - the only noise in my machine is now the psu fan and my temps dropped from 54C idle to 46-48C idle !! load dropped from 64C to 58C