Someone answer!

I have a 6 core processor, should i turn them all on in msconfig? Will it be better on games? And will it drain more power?
9 answers Last reply
More about someone answer
  1. 1. Yes.
    2. Depends on the game.
    3. Depends on what you use the CPU for. If it's idling on desktop, it will make no difference.
  2. DEPENDS WHICH AND FOR WHAT...
  3. Just answer, will it drain more power? Im gonna play games.
  4. turning them all on in ms config will do nothing for the most part. really its for turning off cores to save power on battery operated devices...
    it can however help the o.s boot faster by allowing it to find all the cores straight away and assign them to help speed up booting. but in some cases it can slow things down. (if the cpu has a 3rd party driver like the amd timing adjuster for older athlons)

it will make no difference to games as games will only use the threads they are programmed for... ie if its programmed for 2 it will use 2. if its programmed for 8 it will use as many as it can.

yes there is a potential to drain power but if you have left power managment on in bios it wont affect power usage any more or less than normal...

like i say its more for turning off cpu cores than turning them on. windows by default will use as many as it finds. so if there on in bios and you leave the number of processors box unchecked it will use them all anyway.
    if you like you can set a certain portion of ram to be used this would have a small effect on boot times if you set it above 4gig.
  5. He freaking did answer.

Be more polite if you want help.

If all cores are stressed then maybe mildly more.
  6. darth pravus said:
    He freaking did answer.

Be more polite if you want help.

If all cores are stressed then maybe mildly more.

I second that why be all direct and mean....these forumns are for knowledge and love. :)
  7. Serthy said:
    these forumns are for knowledge and love. :)

Less of your hippy sh!t! ;)
  8. mi1ez said:
    Less of your hippy sh!t! ;)

Lmao, Whoa sir......whoa..... we are all friends here, just not when it comes to direct multiplayer competition :)
  9. Serthy said:
    Lmao, Whoa sir......whoa..... we are all friends here, just not when it comes to direct multiplayer competition :)

I jest!
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Core Processors Msconfig Video Games