Video washes out after overclock

rebturtle

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
I have an A7N8X Deluxe, ASUS GeForce4 ti4200 video, Corsair TWIN 1024 PC3200LL RAM and an XP2500+. The system is overclocked to 2200MHz (200MHz x11) and seems to run happy there with a small boost in voltage (1.7v). However, after about an hour or so, the video color seems to wash out a bit. I've locked the AGP at 66MHz, and don't know what else to do, besides slow back down. For all the rest of the details, click below.

<A HREF="http://www.rebturtle.com" target="_new">rebturtle</A>
<A HREF="http://www.rebturtle.com/turtletech.htm" target="_new">My System</A>

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Well, if it doesn't do this when you slow your fsb down a bit then you know the answer :wink:

<b>Stupid summertime - cables stretch, now DSL won't work. Wanna know how much fun 33.6kbps is? ITS NOT.</b>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
that is a bit weird...but i have a theory...at higher fsb your cpu runs hotter...therefore your case gets hotter making your GPU get hotter...so possibly try adding another case fan...or point one directly at the gpu.

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
even if your CPU was running 10*C hotter it would affect your case temp so little that, sorry to say, your theory doesn't hold... overclocking your CPU does affect the motherboard's Northbridge temp though, which is what processes the video to the video card, so it might just be that the Northbridge is overheating (very possible) and f*cking things up

<b>Stupid summertime - cables stretch, now DSL won't work. Wanna know how much fun 33.6kbps is? ITS NOT.</b>

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
If he doesnt have proper cooling the Ambiant temperature will build up inside the case to the point that everything will be overheating.

For instance if he doesnt have any type of cooling for his hard drive and its a 7200+ RPM version, that can increase the temperature inside the case by 15-20 degrees.

If he doesnt have an exhaust fan that can increase the temperature inside the case by another 20 degrees, because the heat has no where to go.

The PSU even though it has a fan doesnt disipate all the heat out through its built in exhaust fan and can increase the heat inside the case by 10-15 degrees.

The Ambiant temperature will increase steadily untill it reaches its max thermal production vs. disipation rate, and it will be very warm in there and it will affect performance on a system wide basis. If the inside of the case is 140+ degrees and i suspect it is, then obviously hes gonna have problems with heat, and that temperature is Not uncommon even if there is an intake fan, especially if the room temperature is above 75 degrees.

Proper case cooling would most likely solve his problem by reducing the temperature inside the case by 40-50 degrees.

XeeN

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
lets test the little heat theory...slow it back down to stock speeds...do you still have problems...

If so then it could very well be heat related...if not then we can troubleshoot other things...i also must say that i have seen flakey memory do some strange things to games and other 3d apps...but lets bring it to stock speed so that we can rule overclocking out

So easy to fry yet tastes so good...
Silicon: The other, other, other white meat :evil:

rebturtle

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
Okay guys, overclocking is definately the issue. It only happens when I push this little 2500+ up to 3200+ speeds. I was just wondering if there was a workaround for this issue. It's not so major that I can't operate the system. Everything is plenty cool, since I run w/o the side cover and the room is a reasonable temp and has a ceiling fan. for info & pics oof my system, click below.

<A HREF="http://www.rebturtle.com" target="_new">rebturtle</A>
<A HREF="http://www.rebturtle.com/turtletech.htm" target="_new">My System</A>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
increase the vcore...

Silicon: The other, other, other white meat :evil: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pIII_Man on 07/24/03 10:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
also you may need to add more case cooling if that does not help...what are all of your temps...what board too...

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya rebturtle;

well you obviously have plenty of cooling, but i think the cooling would be more effective with the case cover on, atm your not getting any kind of airflow inside the case because its not contained its just flat out comming in from the side of the case and going out of the side of the case, which removes the reason to even have case fans, you might as well unplug all your fans cuz they arent doing anything. You may say that doesnt make sense, it should run cooler with the cover off. Well thats not true, with proper airflow and thermal dynamics inside the case it will run cooler with the cover on.

The only reason i can think of why it would be getting hot is because the cover is off, does it do the same thing with the cover on?

If it is still unstable with the cover on then its probably not heat, but instead system instability due to overclocking too far, when you OC your FSB too far you will get graphics display errors just as if you OCed your graphics card too far, even if you have your AGP/PCI frequencies forced Static at 66.66/33.33, so back it off just a tad and it should become stable again.

XeeN

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
drop the multi to 8x leave the fsb at 200 to see if it is the board/mem or the cpu that is holding ya back...