Closed Solved

Will these specs be able to run Planetside 2 and Battlefield 3?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.73 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On IHAS324-98 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $631.64
This is my first time building a PC. I am thinking about building one with these specs, however I would like to know if they would be able to play most new games (e.g Planetside 2 and Battlefield 3) at decent quality (medium - high.)

Thanks in advance.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about will specs planetside battlefield
  1. it will do fine.
  2. renz496 said:
    it will do fine.

    Could you please clarify? Around what quality would each game be able to run at with these specs? My monitor resolution is 1680x1050. I am thinking of upgrading to a 1920x1080 capable monitor though.
  3. Cant speak for Planetside 2.
    Battlefield 3 I would think pretty close to ultra at 1050. And at 1080 probably closer to high not ultra. Overclock it and you'd be able to crank the graphics a little more.

    Also can I recommend you drop that FX cpu and get an i3 or i5 instead? FX cpus are pretty crappy for gaming, especially compared to their Intel counterparts for the same price.
  4. iyzik said:
    Cant speak for Planetside 2.
    Battlefield 3 I would think pretty close to ultra at 1050. And at 1080 probably closer to high not ultra. Overclock it and you'd be able to crank the graphics a little more.

    Also can I recommend you drop that FX cpu and get an i3 or i5 instead? FX cpus are pretty crappy for gaming, especially compared to their Intel counterparts for the same price.

    Which i3 or i5 would you recommend? Hoping for one around the same price range.
  5. Best answer
    For an i3, either 3225 or 3240. 2125 might also be worth looking at despite being 2nd gen,
    If you can afford a $200 CPU and get a cheaper MoBo, then an i5 3550.
    Remember no matter what you need a diff MoBo with LGA1155 Socket.

    EDIT: Actually did not realize that FX was the 6 core lol my bad. In that case I can't believe I am saying this but that FX-6300 might be better than an Intel of $130 but I could be wrong, I have no personal exp. with either an FX or an i3. If you could save another $150 somehow and get a slightly cheaper MoBo, an i5 and a 7870, you would have a beast rig.
  6. Best answer selected by fishergijoey.
  7. iyzik said:
    For an i3, either 3225 or 3240. 2125 might also be worth looking at despite being 2nd gen,
    If you can afford a $200 CPU and get a cheaper MoBo, then an i5 3550.
    Remember no matter what you need a diff MoBo with LGA1155 Socket.

    EDIT: Actually did not realize that FX was the 6 core lol my bad. In that case I can't believe I am saying this but that FX-6300 might be better than an Intel of $130 but I could be wrong, I have no personal exp. with either an FX or an i3. If you could save another $150 somehow and get a slightly cheaper MoBo, an i5 and a 7870, you would have a beast rig.

    Thanks for all the help. I made sure that the base total price could be rounded to 700$, and here I have it. So my final question for you is, is it a good build? I did what you recommended.
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3550 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.98 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: MSI Z68A-G43 (B3) ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($86.49 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($31.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3R 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($61.38 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($214.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.73 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($35.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $718.53
    Once again, thank you for all the help.
  8. fishergijoey said:
    Thanks for all the help. I made sure that the base total price could be rounded to 700$, and here I have it. So my final question for you is, is it a good build? I did what you recommended.
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3550 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.98 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: MSI Z68A-G43 (B3) ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($86.49 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($31.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3R 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($61.38 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($214.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.73 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($35.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $718.53
    Once again, thank you for all the help.


    That looks awesome, I wouldn't change a thing. I'm sure you will be very happy with that 7870, its a beast overclocker and one you add about 100MHz OC on core, you'll be able to play bf3 at fairly close to ultra.
  9. fishergijoey said:
    Could you please clarify? Around what quality would each game be able to run at with these specs? My monitor resolution is 1680x1050. I am thinking of upgrading to a 1920x1080 capable monitor though.


    for battlefield more core are the better for the MP. i do play planet side 2 though. with my rig i can get around 30-40 FPS on average with every graphic detail turn to max (1600x900). 7850 is better than my 460 so it should be able to handle the game much better than my rig
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Video Games