Sony CRX100E/X2 External USB CD-RW Drive

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.sys.pc-clone (More info?)

I have a Sony CRX100E/X2 External USB CD-RW Drive that I have not used
in some time. Recently I chose to give that hardware to an out of the
country friend that needed a CD burner. The problem was that I could
not find the original Spressa software that came with that CD-RW drive.

When I started trying to locate software for the drive, I contacted the
Sony online support for the Spressa software and the CRX100E/X2 drive.
They told me that the Spressa software that the software I needed is no
longer available at Sony's support site and that the latest software
would not work for the drive that I had. (It is for Windows 98, which
my friend is also using.) They went on to explain that there is a Win
driver online for the burner (Which I downloaded)

I later found a CD that I had made as a backup of the Spressa software.
Unfortunately when the drive and software were received by my friend,
the software could not be read from the CD. I don't know if the CD was
exposed to X-rays or something as part of the increased security in the
mail, or what really happened. In any case, the CD can not even be
read, and she gets a message that the CD drive on her computer "is not
ready". (The CD drive on her computer can read other CDs with no
problem.) I tried having her load the driver to see if it detected the
CD-RW, but it did not seem to detect the drive. (I had not used the
drive in a while, but the last time I used it, it worked fine.)

The Sony support site said that the drive would work with other burner
software, although I had tried that previously and it did not work. I
imagine that the problem was that the initial software had the drivers
built in and the drivers required were included in the burner software
that I tried before.

My questions are:
1. Have others encountered problems with the Sony CRX100E/X2 External
USB CD-RW Drive and the driver that Sony has provided on their site?

2. Any ideas of what could be going wrong or what she should try to get
this to work?

3. She is living on a fixed income so resources are limited. Is there
any free software for burning CDs that would work with the Sony
CRX100E/X2 External USB CD-RW Drive ? She uses Windows Media Player and
I thought it would burn CDs, but I am not sure. Of course it seems the
"first problem" is the failure of the Sony driver to work.

Any ideas and help sure would be appreciated!

Steve Byers
steve281499@gmail.com
sabyers@bellsouth.net
12 answers Last reply
More about sony crx100e external drive
  1. Archived from groups: alt.windows98,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.sys.pc-clone (More info?)

    Thanks for the information Ben! One more question, how can we determine
    if that Sony Driver is actually loading?

    Thanks!

    Steve
  2. Archived from groups: alt.windows98,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.sys.pc-clone (More info?)

    Have your friend download a copy of either CDBurnerXPPro or Burn4Free, both very
    servicable CD burners. They may not have all the bells and whistles of the
    commercial products, but they are serviceable for most burning tasks.

    .... Ben Myers

    On 1 Aug 2005 09:41:08 -0700, "Steve" <steve281499@gmail.com> wrote:

    >I have a Sony CRX100E/X2 External USB CD-RW Drive that I have not used
    >in some time. Recently I chose to give that hardware to an out of the
    >country friend that needed a CD burner. The problem was that I could
    >not find the original Spressa software that came with that CD-RW drive.
    >

    >When I started trying to locate software for the drive, I contacted the
    >Sony online support for the Spressa software and the CRX100E/X2 drive.
    >They told me that the Spressa software that the software I needed is no
    >longer available at Sony's support site and that the latest software
    >would not work for the drive that I had. (It is for Windows 98, which
    >my friend is also using.) They went on to explain that there is a Win
    >driver online for the burner (Which I downloaded)
    >
    >I later found a CD that I had made as a backup of the Spressa software.
    >Unfortunately when the drive and software were received by my friend,
    >the software could not be read from the CD. I don't know if the CD was
    >exposed to X-rays or something as part of the increased security in the
    >mail, or what really happened. In any case, the CD can not even be
    >read, and she gets a message that the CD drive on her computer "is not
    >ready". (The CD drive on her computer can read other CDs with no
    >problem.) I tried having her load the driver to see if it detected the
    >CD-RW, but it did not seem to detect the drive. (I had not used the
    >drive in a while, but the last time I used it, it worked fine.)
    >
    >The Sony support site said that the drive would work with other burner
    >software, although I had tried that previously and it did not work. I
    >imagine that the problem was that the initial software had the drivers
    >built in and the drivers required were included in the burner software
    >that I tried before.
    >
    >My questions are:
    >1. Have others encountered problems with the Sony CRX100E/X2 External
    >USB CD-RW Drive and the driver that Sony has provided on their site?
    >
    >2. Any ideas of what could be going wrong or what she should try to get
    >this to work?
    >
    >3. She is living on a fixed income so resources are limited. Is there
    >any free software for burning CDs that would work with the Sony
    >CRX100E/X2 External USB CD-RW Drive ? She uses Windows Media Player and
    >I thought it would burn CDs, but I am not sure. Of course it seems the
    >"first problem" is the failure of the Sony driver to work.
    >
    >Any ideas and help sure would be appreciated!
    >
    >Steve Byers
    >steve281499@gmail.com
    >sabyers@bellsouth.net

  3. Archived from groups: alt.windows98,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.sys.pc-clone (More info?)

    If the system to which the Sony CRX100E/X2 External USB CD-RW Drive is attached
    is running WIndows 2000 or XP, the basic drivers are built into the operating
    system to allow the drive to function as a plain CD-ROM. If it installs
    properly, it will be visible as a device in the Device Manager within the System
    icon of Control Panel.

    The software that makes the drive function as a CD-RW is the aforementioned
    software, or a commercial product like Nero, Roxio, etc... Ben Myers

    On 1 Aug 2005 15:15:06 -0700, "Steve" <steve281499@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Thanks for the information Ben! One more question, how can we determine
    >if that Sony Driver is actually loading?
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Steve

  4. Archived from groups: alt.windows98,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.sys.pc-clone (More info?)

    Hi Again!

    Sorry for the delay, but my friend has been sick. Her system runs
    Windows 98SE. I found a driver on the Sony support page, and she "tried
    to load it" but can not tell if it did load. How can she load it in
    Windows 98SE?

    I think she just clicked on the driver file, but there has got to be
    more to it. She was trying to run a CD that I thought had a back up of
    the original Sony CDRW software (Spressa) on it, but she said it would
    not recognize the drive. So, that may have been corrupted in mailing it
    to Canada.

    Sorry to be so "blank" on all of this!

    Thanks!

    Steve
  5. Archived from groups: alt.windows98,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.sys.pc-clone (More info?)

    NO drivers are required for an INTERNAL CD-RW drive to function as a basic
    CD-ROM drive. It is automatically recognized during the installation of Windows
    98 or any later version of Windows.

    You're right. A device driver IS required for an external USB drive. Download
    and install the proper driver from the following URL.

    http://sony.storagesupport.com/cdrw/usb.htm

    There is also a drive firmware upgrade for this model, and it appears to be
    important for Windows 98:

    http://sony.storagesupport.com/cdrw/firmware.htm

    Go to Control Panel, click on the System icon, and look at the device drivers
    installed. If a device driver is installed for the Sony CRX100E, you will see
    the device identified in the list, under CD-ROM drives, of course.

    If the drive is visible in the list of devices, then CDBurnerXPPro or Burn4Free
    will do the job. Forget the Spressa software. It is often customized to work
    with either very specific models of CD-RW drives or with specific makes and
    models of computers.

    If the drive is not visible in the list of devices, you have another problem on
    your hands... Ben Myers

    On 20 Aug 2005 11:03:52 -0700, "Steve" <steve281499@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Hi Again!
    >
    >Sorry for the delay, but my friend has been sick. Her system runs
    >Windows 98SE. I found a driver on the Sony support page, and she "tried
    >to load it" but can not tell if it did load. How can she load it in
    >Windows 98SE?
    >
    > I think she just clicked on the driver file, but there has got to be
    >more to it. She was trying to run a CD that I thought had a back up of
    >the original Sony CDRW software (Spressa) on it, but she said it would
    >not recognize the drive. So, that may have been corrupted in mailing it
    >to Canada.
    >
    >Sorry to be so "blank" on all of this!
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Steve

  6. Archived from groups: alt.windows98,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.sys.pc-clone (More info?)

    Thanks Ben for the reply and the information. It is an External Drive,
    so I will need the Sony Driver. I think what she did before was to
    simply click on the driver file (CRX100E2.EXE), but if I remember
    correctly it should be copied to the C:\Windows folder and added to the
    Config.sys statement using something like this:

    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\CRX100E2.EXE

    Correct?

    I will download the firmware upgrade and send it to her.

    She downloaded Burn4Free software, so maybe this drawn out process is
    nearing an end! LOL

    Thanks for all the information.

    Steve
  7. Archived from groups: alt.windows98,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.sys.pc-clone (More info?)

    Hi Ben,

    I thought the driver download would include some documentation but it
    does not. Nothing seems to happen when you run the .exe program, and no
    driver shows up in the Device Manager. I am baffled.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.windows98,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.sys.pc-clone (More info?)

    It is highly, highly doubtful that the Sony driver would be used via CONFIG.SYS
    as you have suggested: DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\CRX100E2.EXE . Very few hardware
    manufacturers have made any effort to support USB devices with DOS-mode files
    and DOS-mode access.

    Carefully read any and all documentation for the Sony driver and install it
    exactly as described. It is probably a self-unzipping program which places the
    Sony device driver files in the right place, either the WINDOWS folder or a
    folder subsidiary to the Windows folder... Ben Myers

    On 21 Aug 2005 09:05:14 -0700, "Steve" <steve281499@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Thanks Ben for the reply and the information. It is an External Drive,
    >so I will need the Sony Driver. I think what she did before was to
    >simply click on the driver file (CRX100E2.EXE), but if I remember
    >correctly it should be copied to the C:\Windows folder and added to the
    >Config.sys statement using something like this:
    >
    >DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\CRX100E2.EXE
    >
    >Correct?
    >
    >I will download the firmware upgrade and send it to her.
    >
    >She downloaded Burn4Free software, so maybe this drawn out process is
    >nearing an end! LOL
    >
    >Thanks for all the information.
    >
    >Steve

  9. Archived from groups: alt.windows98,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.sys.pc-clone (More info?)

    In article <1124652951.492867.271860@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    Steve <steve281499@gmail.com> writes
    >Hi Ben,
    >
    >I thought the driver download would include some documentation but it
    >does not. Nothing seems to happen when you run the .exe program, and no
    >driver shows up in the Device Manager. I am baffled.

    The .exe program is a DOS self-extracting program that extracts the
    drivers into the same folder as the .exe file.

    There is a crx100e2.doc file which explains how to install the drivers.
    Unfortunately, as you will see when you look at the document, it makes
    some assumptions.

    Assuming that you have the CDRW connected, you should be able to install
    the drivers using the 'Add New Hardware' wizard in the Control Panel.

    Unfortunately it is years since I ran a Windows 98 PC so I cannot give
    you the full sequence of instructions. You basically will add from a
    specific location, have a disk and display a full list of drivers from a
    specific location.

    A few other thoughts:

    - have you checked that USB is enabled in the BIOS settings? Have
    you had other USB devices running successfully.

    - I assume that the drive has its own power supply, if not total
    USB power usage must not exceed 500 milliamps, and your PSU in the base
    unit must be able to supply the extra power.
    --
    Nicholas David Richards -

    "Où sont les neiges d'antan?"
  10. Archived from groups: alt.windows98,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.sys.pc-clone (More info?)

    An External USB CD-RW (or CD-ROM) drive draws more than the maximum amount of
    current supported by the USB 1.1 specification, so it MUST have an external
    power supply to operate correctly. It probably does, because few (if any)
    external USB CD or hard disk drives are sold without one.

    Once the files are unzipped into a folder, the Windows 98 Add Hardware so-called
    Wizard will ask where the drivers are. With 95/98/ME, click Browse, and browse
    for the folder where the files are unzipped... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 22:29:06 +0100, Nicholas D Richards
    <nicholas@salmiron.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >In article <1124652951.492867.271860@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    >Steve <steve281499@gmail.com> writes
    >>Hi Ben,
    >>
    >>I thought the driver download would include some documentation but it
    >>does not. Nothing seems to happen when you run the .exe program, and no
    >>driver shows up in the Device Manager. I am baffled.
    >>

    >The .exe program is a DOS self-extracting program that extracts the
    >drivers into the same folder as the .exe file.
    >
    >There is a crx100e2.doc file which explains how to install the drivers.
    >Unfortunately, as you will see when you look at the document, it makes
    >some assumptions.
    >
    >Assuming that you have the CDRW connected, you should be able to install
    >the drivers using the 'Add New Hardware' wizard in the Control Panel.
    >
    >Unfortunately it is years since I ran a Windows 98 PC so I cannot give
    >you the full sequence of instructions. You basically will add from a
    >specific location, have a disk and display a full list of drivers from a
    >specific location.
    >
    >A few other thoughts:
    >
    >- have you checked that USB is enabled in the BIOS settings? Have
    >you had other USB devices running successfully.
    >
    >- I assume that the drive has its own power supply, if not total
    >USB power usage must not exceed 500 milliamps, and your PSU in the base
    >unit must be able to supply the extra power.
    >--
    >Nicholas David Richards -
    >
    >"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"
  11. Archived from groups: alt.windows98,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.sys.pc-clone (More info?)

    Hi Nicholas!

    Thanks for the input. I guess my mind was asleep this morning when I
    was thinking about loading the driver! I just could not think when I
    had loaded a driver in Win 98 through the Config.sys, but was not
    thinking of the "routine way". Guess the heat here (got to 100 F) was
    getting to me even in the A/C. LOL

    The drive is at a friend's in Canada, and I am not sure how much they
    have used anything on their USB. I will check with them on that and be
    sure they know how to load a driver from a diskette. The drive does
    have its own power supply so that should be ok.

    Thanks for the help!

    Steve
  12. Archived from groups: alt.windows98,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.sys.pc-clone (More info?)

    In article <1124696361.646830.161710@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    Steve <steve281499@gmail.com> writes
    >Hi Nicholas!
    >
    >Thanks for the input. I guess my mind was asleep this morning when I
    >was thinking about loading the driver! I just could not think when I
    >had loaded a driver in Win 98 through the Config.sys, but was not
    >thinking of the "routine way". Guess the heat here (got to 100 F) was
    >getting to me even in the A/C. LOL
    >
    >The drive is at a friend's in Canada, and I am not sure how much they
    >have used anything on their USB. I will check with them on that and be
    >sure they know how to load a driver from a diskette. The drive does
    >have its own power supply so that should be ok.
    >
    >Thanks for the help!
    >
    >Steve

    No problem and you are welcome. It is confusing; a lot of modern
    hardware comes with an executable that does most of it for you, and you
    usually have to run the executable before you first attach the hardware.
    So, when you get the bare drivers and have to install them 'by hand',
    you have forgotten the older methods.
    --
    Nicholas David Richards -

    "Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Compaq Sony External USB CD-Rom Software Computers