Norton 2002 Firewall

I wonder if anybody can help. For the last couple of weeks, when I browse
the web, the mouse slows right down or freezes until the page has loaded.
If I disable the firewall everything is normal. I have looked at and tried
every setting I can find. I have also uninstalled, done a defrag and
reinstalled but nothing has changed. I would be very grateful if anybody
could point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Anne

--
Outgoing mail checked by Norton Antivirus 2002
3 answers Last reply

    Anne,

    Symantec screwed up, starting with a LiveUpdate on 12 May in response to the
    eEYE vulnerabilities. They've put out at least two LiveUpdates since that
    time. They work for some people and they nail the system for others. Also,
    we have:

    http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?date=2004-05-26[/url

    "And an unconfirmed report that Norton Internet Security 4.0 2002, 2003 &
    2004 for Windows has added a new feature which pre-scans the inline html
    images prior to writing the images to the temp directory and displaying them
    in the web-browser. This effort is to try to identify web borne worms and
    viruses. The unfortunate side effect is that pages load incredibly slowly.
    The report stated that Verizon's page took over 3 minutes to load with the
    scanner and under 3 seconds without it. This could result in users disabling
    their firewalls which is not a good thing. "

    If there's a solution yet, I don't know about it. These appear to be two
    DIFFERENT problems, but the erratic behavior of the mouse, the slow loading
    of web pages, etc., are common symptoms noted here, there, and everywhere.
    Indeed, the only thing I've heard that routinely works is to
    uninstall/reinstall and THEN NOT download the NIS Program updates or the
    Redirector updates (that's like going back to pre-12 May 2004). On the
    other hand, if you can run a System Restore (in Win XP) and return the
    system configuration to pre-12 May configuration, that also seems to work.

    "Anne" <mwhitaker@beeb.net> wrote in message
    > I wonder if anybody can help. For the last couple of weeks, when I browse
    > the web, the mouse slows right down or freezes until the page has loaded.
    > If I disable the firewall everything is normal. I have looked at and tried
    > every setting I can find. I have also uninstalled, done a defrag and
    > reinstalled but nothing has changed. I would be very grateful if anybody
    > could point me in the right direction.
    .. . .

    Thanks for the info Joseph. I will try out the various solutions.

    Anne

    "Joseph V. Morris" <jvmorris@erols.com> wrote in message
    > Anne,
    >
    > Symantec screwed up, starting with a LiveUpdate on 12 May in response to
    the
    > eEYE vulnerabilities. They've put out at least two LiveUpdates since that
    > time. They work for some people and they nail the system for others.
    Also,
    > we have:
    >
    > http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?date=2004-05-26[/url
    >
    > "And an unconfirmed report that Norton Internet Security 4.0 2002, 2003 &
    > 2004 for Windows has added a new feature which pre-scans the inline html
    > images prior to writing the images to the temp directory and displaying
    them
    > in the web-browser. This effort is to try to identify web borne worms and
    > viruses. The unfortunate side effect is that pages load incredibly slowly.
    > The report stated that Verizon's page took over 3 minutes to load with the
    > scanner and under 3 seconds without it. This could result in users
    disabling
    > their firewalls which is not a good thing. "
    >
    > If there's a solution yet, I don't know about it. These appear to be two
    > DIFFERENT problems, but the erratic behavior of the mouse, the slow
    > of web pages, etc., are common symptoms noted here, there, and everywhere.
    > Indeed, the only thing I've heard that routinely works is to
    > uninstall/reinstall and THEN NOT download the NIS Program updates or the
    > Redirector updates (that's like going back to pre-12 May 2004). On the
    > other hand, if you can run a System Restore (in Win XP) and return the
    > system configuration to pre-12 May configuration, that also seems to work.
    >
    > "Anne" <mwhitaker@beeb.net> wrote in message
    > > I wonder if anybody can help. For the last couple of weeks, when I
    browse
    > > the web, the mouse slows right down or freezes until the page has
    loaded.
    > > If I disable the firewall everything is normal. I have looked at and
    tried
    > > every setting I can find. I have also uninstalled, done a defrag and
    > > reinstalled but nothing has changed. I would be very grateful if anybody
    > > could point me in the right direction.
    > . . .

    Anne,

    Might also want to follow the thread at
    http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,10357746~mode=flat .
    Starting to get some input from Symantec types and we think we are at least
    beginning to localize what works and what doesn't. There will be more
    inputs over the weekend.

Firewalls Security Norton Networking