Norton 2002 Firewall

Last response: in Networking
a b 8 Security
May 26, 2004 9:38:21 PM

I wonder if anybody can help. For the last couple of weeks, when I browse
the web, the mouse slows right down or freezes until the page has loaded.
If I disable the firewall everything is normal. I have looked at and tried
every setting I can find. I have also uninstalled, done a defrag and
reinstalled but nothing has changed. I would be very grateful if anybody
could point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Anne

--
Outgoing mail checked by Norton Antivirus 2002

More about : norton 2002 firewall

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 27, 2004 8:12:57 PM

Anne,

Symantec screwed up, starting with a LiveUpdate on 12 May in response to the
eEYE vulnerabilities. They've put out at least two LiveUpdates since that
time. They work for some people and they nail the system for others. Also,
we have:

http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?date=2004-05-26[/url

"And an unconfirmed report that Norton Internet Security 4.0 2002, 2003 &
2004 for Windows has added a new feature which pre-scans the inline html
images prior to writing the images to the temp directory and displaying them
in the web-browser. This effort is to try to identify web borne worms and
viruses. The unfortunate side effect is that pages load incredibly slowly.
The report stated that Verizon's page took over 3 minutes to load with the
scanner and under 3 seconds without it. This could result in users disabling
their firewalls which is not a good thing. "

If there's a solution yet, I don't know about it. These appear to be two
DIFFERENT problems, but the erratic behavior of the mouse, the slow loading
of web pages, etc., are common symptoms noted here, there, and everywhere.
Indeed, the only thing I've heard that routinely works is to
uninstall/reinstall and THEN NOT download the NIS Program updates or the
Redirector updates (that's like going back to pre-12 May 2004). On the
other hand, if you can run a System Restore (in Win XP) and return the
system configuration to pre-12 May configuration, that also seems to work.

"Anne" <mwhitaker@beeb.net> wrote in message
> I wonder if anybody can help. For the last couple of weeks, when I browse
> the web, the mouse slows right down or freezes until the page has loaded.
> If I disable the firewall everything is normal. I have looked at and tried
> every setting I can find. I have also uninstalled, done a defrag and
> reinstalled but nothing has changed. I would be very grateful if anybody
> could point me in the right direction.
.. . .
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 28, 2004 9:26:21 PM

Thanks for the info Joseph. I will try out the various solutions.

Anne

"Joseph V. Morris" <jvmorris@erols.com> wrote in message
> Anne,
>
> Symantec screwed up, starting with a LiveUpdate on 12 May in response to
the
> eEYE vulnerabilities. They've put out at least two LiveUpdates since that
> time. They work for some people and they nail the system for others.
Also,
> we have:
>
> http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?date=2004-05-26[/url
>
> "And an unconfirmed report that Norton Internet Security 4.0 2002, 2003 &
> 2004 for Windows has added a new feature which pre-scans the inline html
> images prior to writing the images to the temp directory and displaying
them
> in the web-browser. This effort is to try to identify web borne worms and
> viruses. The unfortunate side effect is that pages load incredibly slowly.
> The report stated that Verizon's page took over 3 minutes to load with the
> scanner and under 3 seconds without it. This could result in users
disabling
> their firewalls which is not a good thing. "
>
> If there's a solution yet, I don't know about it. These appear to be two
> DIFFERENT problems, but the erratic behavior of the mouse, the slow
> of web pages, etc., are common symptoms noted here, there, and everywhere.
> Indeed, the only thing I've heard that routinely works is to
> uninstall/reinstall and THEN NOT download the NIS Program updates or the
> Redirector updates (that's like going back to pre-12 May 2004). On the
> other hand, if you can run a System Restore (in Win XP) and return the
> system configuration to pre-12 May configuration, that also seems to work.
>
> "Anne" <mwhitaker@beeb.net> wrote in message
> > I wonder if anybody can help. For the last couple of weeks, when I
browse
> > the web, the mouse slows right down or freezes until the page has
loaded.
> > If I disable the firewall everything is normal. I have looked at and
tried
> > every setting I can find. I have also uninstalled, done a defrag and
> > reinstalled but nothing has changed. I would be very grateful if anybody
> > could point me in the right direction.
> . . .

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 29, 2004 2:43:21 PM

Anne,

Might also want to follow the thread at
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,10357746~m... .
Starting to get some input from Symantec types and we think we are at least
beginning to localize what works and what doesn't. There will be more
inputs over the weekend.
!