asus p4c800e deluxe with slk-900/tornado

PCHardstuff

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2001
I am getting the asus p4c800-e deluxe and also getting slk-900 sink. I have a couple of questions before I order my stuff. I am pretty sure I'm ok but wanted to check and make sure.

I am getting the tornado fan for my slk-900. I need to get a controller to tame that beast down. I am also looking at the vantec nexus nxp-101 to do the job since I need front mounted usb and firewire. Here are my questions.

1) That fan speed controller only has a 3 pin power connector. Will there be any problems with using a 3 to 4 pin adaptor?

2) Everyone seems to like that particular controller except that they are complaining about the fact that the usb/firewire connectors don't have a motherboard type connector, but rather just standard usb and firewire "external type" plugs. I am thinking about just unscrewing the usb and firewire port from the external slot cover included with my motherboard and just making them internal so I can connect the ports with running the cable out the back and into the external connectors. This shouldn't be a problem will it?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
1. no, provided its just a standard 3pin connector. Though if you are slowing the tornado down one questions the wisdom of getting a tornado in the first place? Surely a medium speed fan would suffice.

2. nope. should't be a problem either.

<b>My CPU is so powerful it can think faster than George Bush</b> :eek:

SHARKMEAT

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
I,m not the one that tell,s people what to Buy,but If you are getting a Heatsink and want one that will do the job I recomend the following Zalman CNPS7000CU.Check it out at
http://www.sharkacorp.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SOS&Product_Code=cnps7000cu,and I promise that you want be disapointed.I have one and my CPU at idle is cooler tham My MB temp LOL.You can buy it where you want,but these guys at the URL above I can vouche for.Good luck and happy cooling.

TREAT SLOWLY IN DANGEROUS WATERS

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
The only problem with CPU idlers is that they dont work when you need them most...
When the cpu is running at 100% load. :smile:

<b>My CPU is so powerful it can think faster than George Bush</b> :eek:

SHARKMEAT

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
Under load I never seen mine over 105F or 42C with this heatsink.The dia is about the size of a sothball,well 92 mm fan is not small and is used inside the fins of the heatsink.Well it may be outside of ye price range!!.Besides if you already got the slk-900/tornado you haft to sux it up,and stay with it.But this zalman is so quite you don't even no it running.Check http://www.hexus.net/review.php?review=547review of the Zalman 7000 series heatsink review

TREAT SLOWLY IN DANGEROUS WATERS<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by SharkMeat on 07/16/03 01:43 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

PCHardstuff

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2001
Good idea, but one prob. How's that thing gonna miss that tower of a chipset heat sink on the p4c800-e board. I don't see how it could. Looks pretty impossible! That was my first choice.