RV082 Router: How do you get the DMZ/Internet Port working..

Last response: in Networking
May 26, 2004 5:07:59 PM

I just Purchased a RV082 Router for our small company. I am trying to
get a web server to work using the DMZ/Internet port. I have two
Public IP addresses (one for the Internet Connection - NAT Server) and
one for the Web Server. From reading the documentation it seems that
it is necessary to have a separate Public IP address for every server
you include in the DMZ zone. Anyway whenever I try to ping from the
DMZ server to anywhere I get Request Timed Out. I know from the
Access Rules that I cannot ping LAN but I should be able to ping
anything in the WAN. If anyone can offer suggestions it would be
greatly appreciated. I have spoken to the Linksys Helpdesk twice but
that turned out to be a giant waste of time. This is my configuration
data:

ROUTER CONFIG
LAN IP: 192.168.1.1
WAN IP: 68.x.x.13
DMZ IP: 68.x.x.14
Mode: Gateway
DNS1: 64.x.x.196
DMZ Host: Disabled

Web Server CONFIG
IP: 68.x.x.14
Gateway 68.x.x.1
DNS 64.x.x.196

From a computer on the LAN I can Access the Internet.... it is just
from the DMZ Server that nothing works.

I am far from being a network guy so ANY help would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Matt
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 9:17:19 PM

Matt C. wrote:

> I just Purchased a RV082 Router for our small company. I am trying to
> get a web server to work using the DMZ/Internet port. I have two
> Public IP addresses (one for the Internet Connection - NAT Server) and
> one for the Web Server. From reading the documentation it seems that
> it is necessary to have a separate Public IP address for every server
> you include in the DMZ zone. Anyway whenever I try to ping from the
> DMZ server to anywhere I get Request Timed Out. I know from the
> Access Rules that I cannot ping LAN but I should be able to ping
> anything in the WAN. If anyone can offer suggestions it would be
> greatly appreciated. I have spoken to the Linksys Helpdesk twice but
> that turned out to be a giant waste of time. This is my configuration
> data:
>
> ROUTER CONFIG
> LAN IP: 192.168.1.1
> WAN IP: 68.x.x.13
> DMZ IP: 68.x.x.14
> Mode: Gateway
> DNS1: 64.x.x.196
> DMZ Host: Disabled
>
> Web Server CONFIG
> IP: 68.x.x.14
> Gateway 68.x.x.1
> DNS 64.x.x.196
>
> From a computer on the LAN I can Access the Internet.... it is just
> from the DMZ Server that nothing works.
>
> I am far from being a network guy so ANY help would be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> Matt

DMZ needs to be a different subnet than the LAN I think. That is how it
is on most other firewall routers.
Anonymous
May 27, 2004 1:05:13 AM

On 26 May 2004 13:07:59 -0700, mk_carter@hotmail.com (Matt C.) wrote:

>I just Purchased a RV082 Router for our small company. I am trying to
>get a web server to work using the DMZ/Internet port. I have two
>Public IP addresses (one for the Internet Connection - NAT Server) and
>one for the Web Server. From reading the documentation it seems that
>it is necessary to have a separate Public IP address for every server
>you include in the DMZ zone. Anyway whenever I try to ping from the
>DMZ server to anywhere I get Request Timed Out. I know from the
>Access Rules that I cannot ping LAN but I should be able to ping
>anything in the WAN. If anyone can offer suggestions it would be
>greatly appreciated. I have spoken to the Linksys Helpdesk twice but
>that turned out to be a giant waste of time. This is my configuration
>data:
>
>ROUTER CONFIG
>LAN IP: 192.168.1.1
>WAN IP: 68.x.x.13
>DMZ IP: 68.x.x.14
>Mode: Gateway
>DNS1: 64.x.x.196
>DMZ Host: Disabled
>
>Web Server CONFIG
>IP: 68.x.x.14
>Gateway 68.x.x.1
>DNS 64.x.x.196

You have the same IP address on the server and on the router. That's
not good, meaning, it doesn't work. And you most probably have
subnetting problems as well. What are the subnet masks configured on
all ports?
May 27, 2004 5:35:09 PM

> DMZ needs to be a different subnet than the LAN I think. That is how it
> is on most other firewall routers.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that but no luck. The DMZ Server
can ping the DMZ POrt and the Internet Port but not the Gateway.....
Do U have one of these RV082 Routers?

Matt
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 1:19:36 AM

On 27 May 2004 13:35:09 -0700, mk_carter@hotmail.com (Matt C.) wrote:

>Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that but no luck. The DMZ Server
>can ping the DMZ POrt and the Internet Port but not the Gateway.....
>Do U have one of these RV082 Routers?

I used to sell these units but no longer. Too many returns due to
bugs. I now sell ZyWALL's and help my customers getting them up and
running.

Anyway, would you post the IP addresses/subnet masks for the DMZ and
WAN? I still think your problem resides here.
!