SR1520NX resolution limited to 1024x768!

peter

I bought a compaq SR1520NX computer from compUSA.
For some reason, the maximum video resolution is set to 1024x768, even if I
choose a monitor type that clearly supports up to 1600x1200.

If I uninstall the SiS video utilities, then I can set the resolution to
higher (1280x1024, 1600x1200, etc). But without the SiS utilities, some
features are lost. E.g. gamma cannot be changed.

If I then download the latest SiS graphics utilities from HP (for the compaq
sr1520nx), then after installing those utilities, setting resolution to
1280x1024 results in the resolution staying at 1024x768, but the desktop
becomes a virtual desktop with the size of 1280x1024 -- scrollable by moving
the mouse. I don't want a scrollable desktop. I just want the resolution to
change.

The motherboard is K8S-LA, I think made by Asus. Chipsets are made by SiS. I
have also tried the drivers from SiS with the same problem as the HP
drivers.

Any ideas? Or, is there a better forum else where to post this question?

"peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I bought a compaq SR1520NX computer from compUSA.
> For some reason, the maximum video resolution is set to 1024x768,
> even if I choose a monitor type that clearly supports up to
> 1600x1200.
>
> If I uninstall the SiS video utilities, then I can set the
> resolution to higher (1280x1024, 1600x1200, etc). But without the
> SiS utilities, some features are lost. E.g. gamma cannot be
> changed.
>
> If I then download the latest SiS graphics utilities from HP (for
> the compaq sr1520nx), then after installing those utilities,
> setting resolution to 1280x1024 results in the resolution staying
> at 1024x768, but the desktop becomes a virtual desktop with the
> size of 1280x1024 -- scrollable by moving the mouse. I don't want
> a scrollable desktop. I just want the resolution to change.
>
> The motherboard is K8S-LA, I think made by Asus. Chipsets are made
> by SiS. I have also tried the drivers from SiS with the same
> problem as the HP drivers.
>
> Any ideas? Or, is there a better forum else where to post this
> question?

You may have to switch to a lower color depth to get the desired
screen size. The screen size supported is a function of the memory
in the video card along with the color depth. The more bits per
pixel, the more memory is needed at a given screen size.

--
Earl F. Parrish

TRENDING THREADS