Office Message Alert question

Last response: in Network Providers
May 13, 2005 2:03:14 AM

Does the Office Message Alert (OMA) feature allow an arbitrary string of
10 digits to be sent as the callback number, or does it have to be a
valid phone number? i.e., can I actually see the number when I get the
message, or is it only available to use as a callback number? I'm
thinking of using OMA to send special codes from an automated system.

Thanks...
May 13, 2005 2:03:15 AM

Bob Scheurle wrote:
> Does the Office Message Alert (OMA) feature allow an arbitrary string of
> 10 digits to be sent as the callback number, or does it have to be a
> valid phone number? i.e., can I actually see the number when I get the
> message, or is it only available to use as a callback number? I'm
> thinking of using OMA to send special codes from an automated system.
>
> Thanks...

How about having your equipment call VZWs TAP interface? Most systems
that send alerts know how to talk to one and VZWs is reliable.
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 5:55:26 AM

On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:13:41 -0400, George <george@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>How about having your equipment call VZWs TAP interface? Most systems
>that send alerts know how to talk to one and VZWs is reliable.

No, it can only call a pager. DTMF only, no modem. I just want to make
sure I'll be able to see the 10 digits on my phone before I call Verizon
to enable OMA.
Related resources
May 14, 2005 2:05:38 AM

Any 10 digits will work, but it has to be EXACTLY ten digits. I just tested
it with "0123456789", and the string was displayed as part of the special
text message:

From: (your name or cell phone number)
Office Message Alert
Call: 0123456789
22:00 13-MAY-05

"Bob Scheurle" <njtbob@X-verizon-X.net> wrote in message
> Does the Office Message Alert (OMA) feature allow an arbitrary string of
> 10 digits to be sent as the callback number, or does it have to be a
> valid phone number? i.e., can I actually see the number when I get the
> message, or is it only available to use as a callback number? I'm
> thinking of using OMA to send special codes from an automated system.
>
> Thanks...

Anonymous
May 14, 2005 6:56:40 PM

On Fri, 13 May 2005 22:05:38 -0400, "tgw" </dev/null@spam.com> wrote:
>Any 10 digits will work, but it has to be EXACTLY ten digits. I just tested
>it with "0123456789", and the string was displayed as part of the special
>text message:

Thanks. I called *611, and after navigating their touch-tone menus
(which took two attempts), I got to speak to a live person who activated
OMA in about a minute, no questions asked. I tested it about 20 minutes
later.

On my phone, a Kyocera 2235, I get a message like the following:

Message: Office Message Alert
Call Back Num: 000-811-0031

Works great!

--