which cooler?

mike88

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2003
volcano 7+ or volcano 9 (smart and silent)??
which is better... looking to oc a barton 2500+ (i dont care about controlling fan speed...

also is the antec lanboy's sl350 watt power supply good enough to take oc2500+/ga-7nnxp/sata/1gig xms/speakers/9600 pro/17" philips??

Maverick494

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
If you don't care about fan speed control, then you don't mind a little bit of noise. I then must reccomend that you look into this cooler:

<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=HHC-001" target="_new">http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=HHC-001</A>

CPU FAN|HHC-001 PURE COPPER (AMD/INTEL) <b>26.00</b>

this is a heat pipe design that I have great o/c results with. It is a bit loud, but it does a great job as well.

I have a Volcano 7+ on my last P4 and I have to say it did okay, but not as well as that one I posted.

Just a computer junky

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Mike how much money are you plan to spend?
-If you're poor buy the Vantec Aeroflow.
-If you're kinda broke after buying your computer buy the ThermalrightAX7 with 80mm Vantec Tornado.
-If you're still rich after buying you computer, buy the Swiftech MCX462+ or Thermalright SLK900U with 92mm Tornado for both of course.
-If you're an extremely wealthy person, think about water-cooling.

I hate Computers! I could only overclock my Barton 2500+ to 2580mhz(vcore 1.65). My Radeon 9700pro core/mem speed won't go above 410/720. I really hate computers!

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Volcano 9 is actually not silent, the full power on the fan also pushes more than 40 decibals.

I hate Computers! I could only overclock my Barton 2500+ to 2580mhz(vcore 1.65). My Radeon 9700pro core/mem speed won't go above 410/720. I really hate computers!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's not really a heat pipe design, it's a heatpipe scam. The reason the cooler works well has nothing to do with the "heatpipe", it's simply that it's a copper cooler with lots of surface area and a good fan. The heatpipes are there for looks, it's a gimmick.

How can I know it's a gimmick? Heatpipes work based on a temperature variation between the evaporator portion and the condensor portion. Copper conducts heat so well, that it would be nearly impossible for a heatpipe to actually do anything within that short space when both ends are joined to the same set of plates.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, it's still a great cooler BTW, it's just that the heatpipes are about as effective as the racing stripes on some cars. This would be in the catagory of the "fast car with racing stripes" as opposed to the "slow car that looks fast".

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mike88

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2003
wat about volcano 11? im in australia and the place only sells...

volcano 11 $60
volcano 7+ $60
volcano 9 $50

which should i take? i dont plan on fsb ocing... just multiplier... also the summer is very hot over here...so i want it to survive the heat... like last summer this amd 1800+ xp froze on stock cooling.... constantly... so had to turn it off for the day