What would keep me from buying a p4 system with HT

siranthony

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
An Nforce2 MB with dual CPU support. Throw a couple of 2500+ CPU's in there and it would beat any Intel with HT. My dream MB would be this with all the overclocking funtions, Raid, lan and so on. This would be a win win situation for AMD. They would sell more CPU's. It would negate the HT advantage Intel has. So why hasn't it happened? I know dual CPU support doesn't help in 95% of games but I want it for multitasking and the other 5% of games that would use it. The next best thing is a P4 with HT. Which is what I am about to buy. I think AMD is making a mistake not doing somthing like this. From what I hear the opteron 64 won't perform all that much better in the short term. 64 bit support will be slow in comming. Dual opterons will most likely not be supported ever (except in servers). So why wait for the Opteron? The P4 is probobly the best thing you can get for at least the next 6 to 9 months. Am I way off base? Let me know what you guys think.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
The beauty of hypertreading is that 1 processor can be used to efficiently to run multiple threads of data and also the processor can put all of its power into 1 single string of data...while a dual processor system cannot only half of the computer processing power can be used for a single application.

Next without modifications an athlon xp cannot SMP...even with mods there are no guarantees. Also amd already has dual processor chipsets out for the athlon MP's.

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:

svol

Champion
They simply don't come with that because the interest in such things is very low (only a few enthusiasts). The Athlon MP is basicly a low-level server CPU and now the Athlon 64 is going to enter in that and the mid-level server segment AMD doesn't have any interest to bring out a new server chipset and so do the other chipset developers.

And dual Opteron workstation boards are already out, and the 64bit WinXP version supports them when it is out.

Just like with HT x86-64 isn't mainstream yet.

Wait in either case as the current P4 is almost at its end and it will be replaced with the Prescott (P5 perhaps) with possibly HT2 supprt. And we don't know yet how succesfull the Athlon 64 will be when it is really released.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek:

siranthony

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
Well the MP Athlon boards don't support dual channel DDR. So I'm not interested. I was considering building one a yar and a half ago but the MP chips were more expensive. And you have to buy 2 of them. So that was out. It's to bad. I hope the Athlon 64 is successfull. I just have a hard time seeing that happening. At least not for awhile. I was rooting for AMD and bought one of thier system when they were competative. They have lagged behind considerably. Hyper threading seems the way to go. Better is better. I can't buy AMD just because I like them. I could wait a little longer and see what happens. I got the fever for a new system heh. Note to self: Calm down. You can hang.

siranthony

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
Not to argue with you P3 but why is the Nforce 2 Chipset the best performing out there. Every review says it's because of dual channel DDR.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
Plz argue with me...i don't care...

Okay...the reason that everyone is saying dual ddr this and dual ddr that is because on nforce2 boards the reason they appear to perform so well is because of the enhanced memory controler...dual ddr is not helping at all...in fact soyo has a new budget ultra400 board that does not have dual channel and can beat the asus A7n8x board in just about every benchmark by a considerable margin.

Sure dual channel is great but cannot be utilised when running an athlon based system...on p4's watch out cause dual channel is great but since the AXP's use a DDR bus not a qdr (like p4's) running ddr mem synchronous to the bus provides all the bandwith that the cpu's bus can take advantage of. So...if you have any info to counter this...by all means argue!

siranthony

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
Well since you didn't provide any links to this super Soyo board. And the nforce2 is the number one selling AMD chipset. I would have to conclude you just want to argue.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
looks like it was <A HREF="http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=244&PageID=1" target="_new"> soltek </A> not soyo...but still it does have equal or better performance than an a7n8x which normally has very good performance

svol

Champion
<A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDc2" target="_new">http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDc2</A>

svol

Champion
I agree with you, with AMD dual-channel memory performance gain is very small or even zero. But it sure does sound cool... (bragging factor) :smile:

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
Interesting...

Gotta love those red white and blue graphs...

the only bad thing bout the via platform is they still have yet to impliment an agp/pci bus lock! Not good for us overclockers...also i am not much of a fan of via's track record...

siranthony

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
Interesting. I think you proved your point about dual channel DDR with the Athlon (except in the most memory hungry aps). Just points out the Athlon is overdue for change. The soltek board is an nv400 chipset not kt400 like I thought you said the Soyo was. I have a little bit of a problem with the hard ocp article. The benchmarks for the kt600 were a little too good compared to the Anandtech review. It's probobly a wash between the two even if one performs slightly better. The PCI/AGP lock is a problem like you said. I have had trouble with the VIA south bridge and 4in1 drivers in the past. Nforce 2 is still better. On the original idea about a dual athalon system. thier isn't one that can handle pc3200 that I know of. Also wouldn't a dual Athlon system be able to benifit from dual channel memory better than a single Athlon would? Heres an interesting idea. Wouldn't there be a way to for AMD (being computer engineers and all) to fool the system into thinking that 2 athlons were one quad pumped CPU. That would kick ass I think. Better yet combine two Athons on one wafer. I think I should get paid for these ideas heh.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
well the thing about dual cpus that just plain sux is that they use the same bus...thats right...so really there effecivness really goes down...they only help in purly cpu intensive aplications that are multi threaded...

About the soltek board...i got soltek and soyo a bit mixed up....AFAIK soyo does not have any nforce offerings...

svol

Champion
That is why the Opteron has a nice advantige with the separted on-die memory controllers and the fast Hyper Transport link between them.

And why there aren't any Dual DDR SMD boards: because it isn't interesting to make them when the technology of Dual DDR was fulgrown as the Opteron was right around the corner.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
that is not a valid argument anymore...you can pick up a p4 hypertreding system for around 1000bux

So easy to fry yet tastes so good...
Silicon: The other, other, other white meat :evil:

alltaken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
yeah even half a year ago when i bought my computer i did the sums and a P4 was cheaper than an equivalent AMD.

so i feel the argument is a bit lacking too

Alltaken