Sign in with
Your question
Solved

LOW FPS Black Ops 2 PC

Last response: in Video Games
December 15, 2012 8:32:58 PM

I'm having problems with constant fps drops in Black Ops 2. My Nvidia drivers are updated, I have everything normal, play other games, ACIII, CoDMW2 MW3, and I can usually over 100 fps without problems, since Black Ops 2 have 80-70 FPS and anytime my FPS drops to 40-50 or less than 30, sometimes crashes, my PC is good and works at least the games of today
Specs: Videocard: GT430 1024MB 128bits
CPU: Core 2 Duo E8400 2.40GHz @ 3.00Ghz
RAM: 8gb
Motherboard: Gigabyte G41MTS2P
Hard Disk: Seagate 500gb SATA III

I am grateful to those who helped me.Please would be grateful if anyone could help me, I'm having this problem since 27 November, which was the day I bought the game = /

More about : low fps black ops

Best solution

December 17, 2012 12:12:43 PM

Download HWMonitor from here:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Then, install it and turn it on. Play the game until it starts lagging. Then, minimize the game, maximize HWMonitor windows so everything is seen, take a screenshot, upload it to www.imageshack.us (don't forget to select "Do not resize" option!) and finally post the link to the image here.
December 17, 2012 10:09:16 PM

Sunius said:
Download HWMonitor from here:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Then, install it and turn it on. Play the game until it starts lagging. Then, minimize the game, maximize HWMonitor windows so everything is seen, take a screenshot, upload it to www.imageshack.us (don't forget to select "Do not resize" option!) and finally post the link to the image here.

Dude, check for information from temperature I use the program "Everest Ultimate Edition" and it no indications that something my PC is with temperature above normal =]. But when I open the game, I start to have problems = /. There needs time for the problem appears, it would be the "Stutter". Thanks for reply man. Result http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/5753/rockbigger.jpg
Related resources
December 17, 2012 11:46:23 PM

First thing, download the latest BETA Nvidia Driver. 3.10.70 had a purported 26% boost in performance for BO2 (and other games like AC3 will benefit too).

Secondly, do NOT over-clock your graphics card as it's a known reason for crashing with some cards. If your card is factory over-clocked, try de-clocking to reference (whatever a base card's settings are).

Follow both suggestions above and you should be able to play without crashing AND get a boost in performance. I'm running an Athlon II X2 250 (usually) @3.75Ghz and BO2 MP will peg BOTH cores at 100% for extended periods of time (only game I've ever had do this). Since you have an old processor, it might be time to upgrade to a quad core or better.
December 18, 2012 8:12:51 AM

No temperature above normal? NO TEMPERATURE ABOVE NORMAL? Your CPU is scorching man. It's at 93°C!! That's almost the temperature of boiling water...

First of all, revert the overclock before your CPU dies. Let's see if that fixes the issue.
December 18, 2012 12:44:33 PM

BobCharlie said:
First thing, download the latest BETA Nvidia Driver. 3.10.70 had a purported 26% boost in performance for BO2 (and other games like AC3 will benefit too).

Secondly, do NOT over-clock your graphics card as it's a known reason for crashing with some cards. If your card is factory over-clocked, try de-clocking to reference (whatever a base card's settings are).

Follow both suggestions above and you should be able to play without crashing AND get a boost in performance. I'm running an Athlon II X2 250 (usually) @3.75Ghz and BO2 MP will peg BOTH cores at 100% for extended periods of time (only game I've ever had do this). Since you have an old processor, it might be time to upgrade to a quad core or better.

I'm using 310.70 WHQL Nvidia. I think my CPU is not overclocked in BIOS even, these days I removed the overclock. My processor has always worked all CoD's since 2007 without problems, it is good to play AC2 = 40-30 FPS here]. The game is to "Stutter" equal in Black Ops 1, the solution is to wait for patches. Thanks a lot your answer =]

December 18, 2012 12:49:12 PM

Sunius said:
No temperature above normal? NO TEMPERATURE ABOVE NORMAL? Your CPU is scorching man. It's at 93°C!! That's almost the temperature of boiling water...

First of all, revert the overclock before your CPU dies. Let's see if that fixes the issue.

I'll check again if my CPU is overclocked, I am grateful to be trying to solve my problem,'ve seen a lot of people having this problem too, but there was also one in Black Ops.
December 18, 2012 1:37:06 PM

Didn't you say it was at 3 GHz, although the stock is 2.4 GHz? If so, it is overclocked.
December 18, 2012 3:47:16 PM

go into bios and load optimized defaults. go to your hdd slector and set the hdd as primary boot device and set your gfx card to the primary display. lastly find the menu that contains the hpet or high precision event timer and set it to 64(if you run 64bit o.s) dont worry if you cant find it as its not there on every bios) then save and quit... reload windows and go into startup with ccleaner and make sure you dont have anything running like easytune or some other overclocking app if you do unisntall them then reboot... run cpu-z again and this time you should see your cpu running at about 2.4ghz.
90'c is way way to hot and the chances are if you have been running at that temp for a while your cpu will be damaged. either it will be leaking current in which case its unlikely to be stable at stock voltages or it will keep running hot. but you wont know till you reboot at stock settings.

December 18, 2012 3:53:14 PM

Yes, it's not overclocked - it's apparently 3.0 GHz at stock. Check whether your CPU fan is spinning. It shouldn't overheat. Clean the dust and reapply thermal paste if necessary.
December 18, 2012 4:16:31 PM

Sunius said:
Yes, it's not overclocked - it's apparently 3.0 GHz at stock. Check whether your CPU fan is spinning. It shouldn't overheat. Clean the dust and reapply thermal paste if necessary.

The game must be in trouble, as also happened in the way Blops Patch is awaiting correction, THIS IS SERIOUS.Everything normal, cooler, CPU, by the way the game is the problem, I even opened the PC and saw everything is normal =].Why me? That's what I wanted to know = . Thanks man.
December 18, 2012 4:19:15 PM

HEXiT said:
go into bios and load optimized defaults. go to your hdd slector and set the hdd as primary boot device and set your gfx card to the primary display. lastly find the menu that contains the hpet or high precision event timer and set it to 64(if you run 64bit o.s) dont worry if you cant find it as its not there on every bios) then save and quit... reload windows and go into startup with ccleaner and make sure you dont have anything running like easytune or some other overclocking app if you do unisntall them then reboot... run cpu-z again and this time you should see your cpu running at about 2.4ghz.
90'c is way way to hot and the chances are if you have been running at that temp for a while your cpu will be damaged. either it will be leaking current in which case its unlikely to be stable at stock voltages or it will keep running hot. but you wont know till you reboot at stock settings.

My CPU is not overclocked. Thanks
December 18, 2012 4:50:53 PM

If your cooling system was appropriate, your CPU wouldn't overheat despite what software issues you may have. Clean the PC and reapply the thermal paste.
December 18, 2012 10:49:00 PM

Sunius said:
If your cooling system was appropriate, your CPU wouldn't overheat despite what software issues you may have. Clean the PC and reapply the thermal paste.

Reapplied thermal paste, the PC is clean, still have the same problem, what helped me was slightly decrease the screen resolution of the game to 1024x768 and the monitor, and this new Driver 310.70 Nivida official who must have helped too, but the problem still occurs = /. I'm going for a bigger cooler on the processor, have not yet

December 19, 2012 3:14:40 AM

Check temperatures again. Post a screenshot of HWMonitor after playing for a little while.
December 29, 2012 1:48:50 PM

I said, my computer is not overheating.Anybody else got an idea?.I play CoD4, MW2, MW3, ACIII, ACII and I have no problems with "Drop"!. Already BO2 or the LOW solve anything!
May 7, 2013 2:05:17 PM

I have been having similar issues with black ops 2, but you seem to be missing the fact that your CPU should NEVER be at 93C, you are asking for help and being dismissive of real solutions such as better cooling for your CPU, as a rule of thumb you should keep your CPU as cool as is humanly possible. Cleaning once every 3 months minimum for optimal thermal performance. MAX OPERATING TEMP FOR INTEL CORE2DUO is 70C (intel site)

DOF:- Depth of Field, turn down this option in the settings menu to LOW even with 2 6870 GPUs in crossfire i get terrible FPS with it set any higher.

WINDOWS AERO:- If you have it on, turn it off. I and many others i know (massive gaming clan im with) were having FPS drops disabling windows aero by selecting standard windows in the customisation option, or setting the short cut to BLOPS2 to have the option for disabling desktop composition will also disable aero.

As for recent patches(the one the enabled all the new WEAPONS SKIN DLC) I have been experiencing strange FPS drops that i never used to get, baring in mind that i livestream and record on the fly while playing this game before the patch with no real hit in performance, i go from 140fps to 80fps but even then the 80 feels more like 30 with a jittery laborious movement. My specs are as follows:-

2 x XFX HD 6870s with dual fans.
Intel i5 2500K O/C to 4.3Ghz sandy bridge cooled with Zalman CNPS9900
Asus P8Z68 V=PRO 2nd REV with dual PCIe 16x lanes.
GSkill RipJaws DDR3 1600 optimized for sandy bridge
1000watt 80+ silver certified PSU
1TB SATA 3.0GBPS (SATA2)
Seated in an ANTEC 900 case.
I was using the BETA 13.3CCC from AMD.com but i upgraded to the release version of 13.4CCC no difference. Im going to be testing the new 13.5BETA drivers later today, ill report back if that changes my performance
May 7, 2013 5:12:05 PM

Unfortunately it seems BO2 just doesn't run all that well with dual core CPU. Originally with the Athlon II x2 250 even at a modest 3.75ghz, was constantly getting both cores pegged. I eventually upgraded to the AMD 8350 and a top od line MSI board (the board isn't the greatest though as you can't OC past 4.5ghz since they nerfed the vcore post release date) Anyways, even with the stock speeds of 4.ghz and allowing it to run 100% default, BO2 is 100% playable now, even with the same GTX 550 Ti card and the same 16gb of Ripjaw RAM. Only things switched was board and CPU, plus whatever Hotfixes were needed to get the FX up to par.

Resolution is 1920x1080, texture high, detail high, shadows low, everything ON, AA x2 or 4 (I leave at 2 as 4 isn't noticeable, DOF MAX, FOV 90, and I get 60 FPS gameplay. Only time it drops to 45 is during a loading screen for some reason, but actual game play stays at 60.

BO2 is just a CPU demanding game. No getting around that. Considering how outdated my video card is, I was completely floored after upgrading to this FX chip and to have high FPS. I originally planned to upgrade the card after the CPU was up and running, but now I realize it isn't necessary yet. I can even finally play some PS2 emulated games that the old rig couldn't quite run at full speed.

In your case, I think it's time to upgrade to a 4 core (or higher if your wallet is OK with that) CPU Intel or whatever as newer games benefit from multiple CPU cores- regardless of the old adage "All games run fine on 2 cores" it just simply isn't true anymore.
May 12, 2013 10:54:26 AM

BobCharlie said:
Unfortunately it seems BO2 just doesn't run all that well with dual core CPU. Originally with the Athlon II x2 250 even at a modest 3.75ghz, was constantly getting both cores pegged. I eventually upgraded to the AMD 8350 and a top od line MSI board (the board isn't the greatest though as you can't OC past 4.5ghz since they nerfed the vcore post release date) Anyways, even with the stock speeds of 4.ghz and allowing it to run 100% default, BO2 is 100% playable now, even with the same GTX 550 Ti card and the same 16gb of Ripjaw RAM. Only things switched was board and CPU, plus whatever Hotfixes were needed to get the FX up to par.

Resolution is 1920x1080, texture high, detail high, shadows low, everything ON, AA x2 or 4 (I leave at 2 as 4 isn't noticeable, DOF MAX, FOV 90, and I get 60 FPS gameplay. Only time it drops to 45 is during a loading screen for some reason, but actual game play stays at 60.

BO2 is just a CPU demanding game. No getting around that. Considering how outdated my video card is, I was completely floored after upgrading to this FX chip and to have high FPS. I originally planned to upgrade the card after the CPU was up and running, but now I realize it isn't necessary yet. I can even finally play some PS2 emulated games that the old rig couldn't quite run at full speed.

In your case, I think it's time to upgrade to a 4 core (or higher if your wallet is OK with that) CPU Intel or whatever as newer games benefit from multiple CPU cores- regardless of the old adage "All games run fine on 2 cores" it just simply isn't true anymore.

Yes, I really have to upgrade my computer, thank comment; I'm Prestige Master K/D = "2.09"; I got it with these problems, and changed the processor to a lower, because the E8400 burned! was hot, I have a C2DE6550 and have the same problems of course, because the game really was very heavy, something I did not expect, that disappointed me too, never expected it from CoD . Thanks. I can play MW3. MW2, COD4 normally =/ ; BO2 have 11.0 Dx
May 12, 2013 10:58:58 AM

JonasTone said:
I have been having similar issues with black ops 2, but you seem to be missing the fact that your CPU should NEVER be at 93C, you are asking for help and being dismissive of real solutions such as better cooling for your CPU, as a rule of thumb you should keep your CPU as cool as is humanly possible. Cleaning once every 3 months minimum for optimal thermal performance. MAX OPERATING TEMP FOR INTEL CORE2DUO is 70C (intel site)

DOF:- Depth of Field, turn down this option in the settings menu to LOW even with 2 6870 GPUs in crossfire i get terrible FPS with it set any higher.

WINDOWS AERO:- If you have it on, turn it off. I and many others i know (massive gaming clan im with) were having FPS drops disabling windows aero by selecting standard windows in the customisation option, or setting the short cut to BLOPS2 to have the option for disabling desktop composition will also disable aero.

As for recent patches(the one the enabled all the new WEAPONS SKIN DLC) I have been experiencing strange FPS drops that i never used to get, baring in mind that i livestream and record on the fly while playing this game before the patch with no real hit in performance, i go from 140fps to 80fps but even then the 80 feels more like 30 with a jittery laborious movement. My specs are as follows:-

2 x XFX HD 6870s with dual fans.
Intel i5 2500K O/C to 4.3Ghz sandy bridge cooled with Zalman CNPS9900
Asus P8Z68 V=PRO 2nd REV with dual PCIe 16x lanes.
GSkill RipJaws DDR3 1600 optimized for sandy bridge
1000watt 80+ silver certified PSU
1TB SATA 3.0GBPS (SATA2)
Seated in an ANTEC 900 case.
I was using the BETA 13.3CCC from AMD.com but i upgraded to the release version of 13.4CCC no difference. Im going to be testing the new 13.5BETA drivers later today, ill report back if that changes my performance

I have to upgrade my computer =/ ; I'm prestige master with these problems, the E8400C2D was burned =/ The problem was internal, no fan was holding . I'm using the E6550C2D and I have the same problems of course . Thanks to comment my friend, and Good Luck
May 12, 2013 11:05:20 AM

I'm closing this post . I just have to thank for a lot of people that try to help me . The way : Really, I'll have to upgrade my computer, I never expected that Black Ops 2 would be so heavy =/ . Bye and God Bless You =]
May 12, 2013 11:07:33 AM

BobCharlie said:

I I've tried all drivers . Thanks
July 30, 2013 8:30:34 AM

No no no no! BO2 has problems! i play battlefield 3 on my pc with high settings on 720p and every thing works smooth as silk, even MW3 worked flawless! But when i play BO2 the graphics are so bad and the fram rates drop to minimum of 20! U are not alone bro i m also facing this issue :/ 
December 17, 2013 4:53:29 AM

farazboy1995 said:
No no no no! BO2 has problems! i play battlefield 3 on my pc with high settings on 720p and every thing works smooth as silk, even MW3 worked flawless! But when i play BO2 the graphics are so bad and the fram rates drop to minimum of 20! U are not alone bro i m also facing this issue :/ 

Man, now I have Gtx550Ti, Core 2 quad Q9550 2.83Ghz, and I can play perfectly on max settings.

I had to upgrade.Core 2 Duo and GT430 were too weak.
February 25, 2014 12:17:40 PM

Sunius said:

Dude when it turns to 100 it will turn to gas
!