Mothers board post sound???

oqtoe

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
I have an old AMD K6 system that continually beeps from the motherboard sometimes. I say sometimes because it has no set time that it decides to go off. It chimes in various tones to which is strange.
I'm wondering how to disable this because it is very annoying.

oqtoe

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
your cpu is probably overheating...make sure the fan is still running...my k6-2 fan died long ago...needed to be cleaned up...you wouldn't beleive how dusty that case was!

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:

siranthony

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
I agree your CPU is proboly overheating. This happened to me recently. I built my mom a P4 2.4 with HT on an abit IS7. When I first booted the computer I started getting this beeping. I thought it was the memory. I looked at the cpu temp in the bios and it was like 80 degrees. I was in mexico at the time and didn't have any thermal paste. I scraped off the crappy thermal thing intel uses on thier stock fans and the temp came down to 65. I later added thermal compound. Still the CPU was at 60. I had to leave it that way. Later I found out about the ABIT IS7 reporting higher temps than were actually occuring. That was a relief. So to make a long story long. I agree.

oqtoe

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
ya that was the first thing I thought too though the temp is at 51. I'm not sure if that too high or not really. That's also the when I first start the computer. It's suppose to warn me when it hits 75 or something in the bios. How do I stop it from making any chimes what so ever?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
disconnect the speaker from the mobo...but you should really try to figure out what is wrong before you do this...make sure the fan is still running...it could be that it detects no fan running and it is warning you.

oqtoe

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
ya I'm pretty sure it's has something to do with the processor overheating. I'm pretty sure the fan's running though. It shoudl be possible to turn this notification off in the BIOS right? Though your ripping out of the speaker sounds more appealing. Do I just snip the wire or something or take it directly out? Where is it usually located?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
you could just unplug it from the board...lol...alot more convenient than cutting it...however first make sure that your fan is spinning...and touch the cpu heatsink while the computer is running to make sure it is not too hot...should be warm but not enough to burn ya...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If it sounds like a siren (Bee-Doe-Bee-Doe), it's probably a power problem, this sound is most frequently connected to bad capacitors on the motherboard, but I can't rule out a failing power supply.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
totally forgot about caps and power supply...those cappacitors could be nearing the end of thier life...i must be lucky my k6 is running w/ a generic AT power supply and a super micro board and has been running for sooo many years without a hitch...supermicro makes damn good boards.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Haha, yeh right: My supermicro board said on the website it wasn't compatable with K6-2 processors. Well, it had fine adjustments for voltage, so I set it at 2.2v core...and it fried a CPU! So I thought "bad CPU, I'll toss in another" and it fried that one!

And here's the worst part, I didn't know for sure these were fried, so I stuck the second one back on the MSI board it came from...and the Supermicro fried CPU fried the VRM on the MSI board!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

oqtoe

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
Naw, the chime is three beeps, first beep, one higher in tone then one more even higher. Then repeated untill the system is powered down. What a where are the capacitors located? If it is the power supply I would think it think that it would have died by now since this has been happening for many months.

svol

Champion
The capacitators that leak as first most times are the big ones placed around the slot/socket of your mobo.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Capacitors are those small cylindrical things that look kind of like metal cigarette butts. Usually when they fail, they either leak fluid on the board, or swell up on the top (the top should be flat).

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
cigarette butt SPEAKER eh...

The speaker will be inside the front of your case...if you follow the wire back it will lead to an area at the front of the motherboard adjacent to the ide/floppy connectors...

Jeez how can i discribe a speaker....it looks like a small normal speaker outside of its box...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, clean your glasses, I said CAPACITORS look like metal cigarette butts. He asked how to find capacitors, didn't he? Let me look:
What a where are the capacitors located?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
No clean your glasses

what does the speaker even look like?? and is it simple to unplug?
Yes i just got it...you were replying to a previous post...god i am really loosing it tonight between this and my other post about multipliers...

So easy to fry yet tastes so good...
Silicon: The other, other, other white meat :evil:

oqtoe

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
Well alright then, thanks for all the help. I hope all this info will help solve it. Either way if it doesn't the computer will be taking a little swim in the river and i'll just buy a new one.