YYZ_Slayer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003
I have an Asus V9280 G-Force 4 ti-4200, and i just recently took the stock fan off, cleaned it and the gpu of any paste, and then applied Arctic Silver 3 instead. Will there a significant improvement of the HSF cooling the GPU?

If you havent smoked up at least one component of your system, you havent pushed hard enough!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
hehe, you would think so, wouldn't you?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well the AS3 looks better than the normal stuff U see in these things (silver or a pink thermal pad or basic white goop, what would you choose ???) :smile:

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...

YYZ_Slayer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003
Well, for one thing, i didnt expect svol AND crashman to reply to this little post, I must of got lucky.

If you havent smoked up at least one component of your system, you havent pushed hard enough!!!

badmonkey

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003
Some monkeys having trouble with the Abit Siluro Ti4200s (bad cards apparently) over on the Abit forums reported that Abit had done a particularly bad job with the thermal paste, and so redid it using whatever. Seemed to help, which led them to the conclusion the cards were overheating.

Whether they were or weren't, I think any properly done paste is gonna be better than the factory robot/chimp job, but you may void the warranty if you ever have to send it back and some techie notices the paste is different.

rower30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
I use the AS3 because it doesn't break down thermally over time. The silver particles also fill in the micro and macro surface defects on crummy finished parts. The worse your part, the more likely you'll see a few degree C improvement. The silver particles tak a few hours or more to "flow" into the matted part defects.

If you work like a crazy man and mirror polish parts, and they are not perfectly flat, it will work WORSE with suspended metal heat sink type compounds. Why? you have less overall surface are in contact with the paste and AS3 does not work well bridging tangential surface gaps verses "roughness". On our super high performance electronics we use in hot plant environments, a slightly rough finish is applied to a FLAT surface on purpose. This keeps the paste and heat sink from migrating around on the part during vibration.

I agree with most of the comments, though, a few C is all you will expect unless you compare it to a botched job with standard paste. If you need 5C or more you'll need a bigger heat sink. The paste won't save you with a too small sink.

Regards,
Rower30@earthlink.net

soulprovider

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
Make sure your heatsink is is attatched very firmly - more pressure helps conductivity, do avoid bending your card in the process though!

<b>Vorsprung durch Dontwerk</b>.....<i>as they say at VIA</i>