Home Router Malfunction?

Chicken_Attack

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
I do all the PC/Networking work at my brothers frat house. Their DSL connection for some reason is very slow... Its an external DSL modem connected to a little 4 port home router, and these are connected to their 16 port switch. If they reset the router, the connection will speed back up to where it should. But now, after a few weeks of this "quick fix," the dsl connection remains to run very slow even if they re-start the router. No matter what time of day or who is downloading what, the dsl connection is very so. Do you guys think the router is about to die, or is it something else that my lack of experience does not see? I can provide more info if needed...
Thanks -Drew

They have a win2k server based network with all 98, 2000, or XP nodes. They run TCP/IP with a DHCP server. Im not sure of the ISP for the DSL connection, or what model DSL modem. I can find this out if needed.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
is it still slow with just one computer using it? the most likely thing is they have some file sharing programs open. is there always activity? i would connect the modem to one computer, the way they require for tech support. then if the speeds still suck i would get ahold of tech support. you could very well need a new modem, could be line noise, even a denial of service attack from a enemy frat hehehe

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

Chicken_Attack

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
Well im going down there sunday to check out all this... My brother has just informed me that now the DSL connection is fast, but a little while ago he said it was so slow a 14.4 modem would download faster... Im siding with you and saying someone is using a file sharing program... My bro says, yah i have WinMX open all the time... Im like ummm if there are 15 of you on the network then i bet there are atleast 5 others doing the same thing... These guys at the frat house keep PC techs with a job... :)

Thanks for the reply! Drew
Ill try to find out some more... but i bet its just all them thinking they are the only ones using the bandwidth so the whole network comes down... lol