Sign in with
Your question

Is NTFS different for Win7 and Windows XP?

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • NTFS
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows 7
October 21, 2009 8:45:54 PM

If I have 2 data partitions created in Windows 7, is Windows XP able to read them?
(No bit locker or password protection on them)

That's it, thanks. I suspect there's no difference, but I might be wrong.

More about : ntfs win7 windows

a b $ Windows 7
October 21, 2009 10:14:39 PM

No, there is no difference. Any partitions created by Vista / 7 will be easily accessable from XP. The bootloader is the only thing XP would not recognize.
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
October 21, 2009 10:56:07 PM

Zoron said:
No, there is no difference. Any partitions created by Vista / 7 will be easily accessable from XP.
This is not quite true. There are actually differences between NTFS used in different Windows versions, as described in this Wikipedia page.

For the most part, you can use NTFS volumes in a dual-boot system under XP and Windows 7, but there can be some issues with some of the more esoteric stuff. For example, XP can only deal with one System Restore point. If you mount a Windows 7 or Vista volume with multiple restore points, XP sees them as invalid and deletes all of them. Therefore you should avoid using an NTFS volume with XP if you are depending on restoring to a previous version.
m
l
Related resources
October 22, 2009 8:27:19 AM

@Zoron: wrong. Windows XP will be able to do whatever it wants on a 7-formatted NTFS volume. In fact, even Windows 2000 can.

@sminlal: you are right, but vague.

To be more precise: Windows XP, Vista and 7 all use NTFS version 3.1. However, NTFS 3.1 is a highly complex and advanced file system, and in fact its design includes features that not all versions of Windows can support. So, there is no chance of Windows XP corrupting a Windows 7 volume (making all data impossible to access), however XP may destroy data that Windows 7 saved to disk, if said data is 7-specific (alternate data streams not copied, etc.)

If you're using NTFS for file storage, fear not: it'll work, you won't lose data, the volume won't be corrupted. I'd recommend against forcing the install of both Windows XP and Seven on the same partition, though (7 will create a 100 Mb boot partition for essential files; I'd recommend against touching it).
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 22, 2009 2:52:43 PM

Uhh.. that's what I said. Windows XP can read and write to Vista / 7 partitions seemlessly. I said that Windows XP would not recognize Vista or 7's bootloaders... and that is true. If you try to install XP after Vista or 7, XP will overwrite their bootloaders with it's own.

I did make a mistake in saying that NTFS is exactly the same across all versions of Windows; I should have said in terms of creating / formatting and using partitions, you won't notice a difference between XP / Vista / 7. I never said that XP wasn't able to do "whatever it wants" on a 7-formatted NTFS volume... I just pointed out it wouldn't like the bootloader.
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
October 22, 2009 6:16:41 PM

mitch074 said:
XP may destroy data that Windows 7 saved to disk, if said data is 7-specific (alternate data streams not copied, etc.)
Actually alternate data streams have been in NTFS right from the first version and all NT-derived versions of Windows support them. The way people usually loose alternate data streams is by copying files that contain them onto a FAT volume, since FAT doesn't support them.
m
l
October 23, 2009 2:12:42 PM

Good, it'll all fit into my plan. Now I just have to figure out how to hide the XP from Win 7 and vice versa when booted in each OS.

I want a 20GB XP partition and 60GB Win 7 Partition for the OS's. The data will stay on 2 other NTFS partitions and be shared to both OS's.
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
December 21, 2009 9:31:32 AM

windows xp can't read ntfs partitions formatted in windows 7
i have tested every thing nothing works
any solution or soft to access my partitions in xp , please help
m
l
October 9, 2013 2:10:08 PM

NERD FIGHT! GET YOUR POPCORN! Make it a small bag this wont take long.
m
l
!