Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Far Cry 3 AA problems

Last response: in Video Games
December 16, 2012 4:26:17 PM

So I'm new to the whole PC gaming world. Just built my first PC, and got Far Cry 3 with my GPU.
The only problem is, is when I turn on AA (4x), small boxes appear in the middle of the screen, usually on foliage. The game looks pretty decent otherwise. I'm running a Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2 GB card (I don't know what other specs I would need to tell).
Picture:

I'm confused. Any help, please?

More about : cry problems

December 16, 2012 4:29:20 PM

Also running at Ultra settings, turned off FXAA processing(?) because the jaggedies... Everything else is at default settings I believe.
Score
December 16, 2012 4:38:46 PM

Looks like the card memory is faulty. I'd contact the place you've bought it from and have them exchange the card.
Score
Related resources
December 16, 2012 4:44:26 PM

This doesn't happen on any of my other games with AA on, just Far Cry. And here I thought it working great.
Score
December 16, 2012 4:51:06 PM

It will start happening more frequently as time goes by. Far Cry 3 was just using up the memory other games didn't reach. I'm telling you - that screen distortion is the fault of a dying graphics card. It's better to change it sooner than later.
Score
December 16, 2012 4:57:11 PM

Should I contact the seller (Newegg) or the company (Sapphire) about replacing it?
Score
December 16, 2012 5:00:31 PM

Newegg if 30 days didn't pass since you've bought it. Sapphire otherwise.
Score
December 16, 2012 5:08:45 PM

Alright, thanks for the help. I guess I'm gonna have to go replace it, and see if that works. It's weird because Witcher 2 and Metro 2033 haven't had any problems yet...
Score
December 16, 2012 5:13:18 PM

Okay. Don't forget to report the results.
Score
December 16, 2012 8:21:58 PM

theer is a update for my gpu it was writtenn better perfomance with aa under the changes u should download that on the amd site
its specialy for fc3
Score
December 16, 2012 8:27:07 PM

Better performance will not fix a faulty card.
Score
December 16, 2012 8:40:25 PM

I'm gonna go ahead and trust the better grammar... If anything, I wait maybe 2 weeks and have a fresh new card. No expense by me. And this isn't performance. My game performance is top-notch, and this is the only thing wrong, but only when I turn on Anti-aliasing.
Score

Best solution

December 16, 2012 8:47:11 PM

cricketory said:
Should I contact the seller (Newegg) or the company (Sapphire) about replacing it?

No! As you say, it's only in Far Cry 3.

I experience such boxes too sometimes, and I got FXAA enabled on my GTX 660. it's because the landscape is rendering slow sometimes. Radeon 7870 isn't a good enough GPU to have 4xMSAA running at ultra quality, your GPU is struggling to it's last. Just look at the benchmarks.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/far-cry-3-performance-ben...

Leave MSAA off. Look at the performance of my rig in Far Cry 3 with no MSAA enabled. Your GPU should be even better on these settings, but you can't enable FXAA. It's only for Nvidia GPUs. :) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRnKfQaVVwM

December 16, 2012 8:51:30 PM

But the foliage is so pixelated without MSAA. Oh my god, I'm so confused. My FPS is still really good on Ultra with 4x, it's just the little boxes...
Maybe it's because I'm running at 1600x900?
Score
December 16, 2012 9:32:26 PM

I have the same card but no issues.
Score
December 16, 2012 9:36:52 PM

STNICK_85 said:
I have the same card but no issues.

Is it on Ultra with 4x AA? If so, then Sunius is probably the most right. I might have to see about those drivers though, as I haven't heard anything about them.
Score
December 16, 2012 9:38:16 PM

I have one of the beta drives (cant recall and not at my comp). Its on ultra but I dont dont think 4x AA. I can give you a answer in about 7 hours....sorry
Score
December 16, 2012 9:51:03 PM

UPDATE: Did a little digging. People are having the same exact problem as me. THE DRIVER UPDATE FIXES IT. Going to download it now. Hopefully my GPU is NOT dying.
Score
December 16, 2012 11:18:39 PM

Best answer selected by cricketory.
Score
December 17, 2012 6:09:46 AM

cricketory said:
UPDATE: Did a little digging. People are having the same exact problem as me. THE DRIVER UPDATE FIXES IT. Going to download it now. Hopefully my GPU is NOT dying.

if you arent using the latest drivers(both amd and nvidia) that is easily the reason why you may have problems. both companies issued beta driver updates specifically for Far Cry 3
Score
December 17, 2012 3:49:45 PM

dudewitbow said:
if you arent using the latest drivers(both amd and nvidia) that is easily the reason why you may have problems. both companies issued beta driver updates specifically for Far Cry 3

Yup, the drivers fixed everything. Ultra at 4x AA runs fairly smooth. Very playable.
However, I had to physically go search for the drivers, because the driver updater didn't get them. I'm new to the whole PC thing, and I'm used to my consoles updating automatically when they get patches and whatnot.
Score
!