Megatron2k3

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2003
I need help my Athlon XP 2600 is overheating when i play games. It gets up to about 80c! and when it is just sitting still its at 60C. I have a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ running at full speed!. So i dont know if my Cpu as gone bad or just the Heatsink has died. Also i lower my cpu speed and it still runs hot maybe just 5c lower! Please help me!

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Where & what software did you use to get those temperatures from btw?

For that processor, it is pretty high. Maybe the HSF isn't seated properly over the core, as in slightly tilted to one side? I've actually had that happen to some of my previous sinks too, the "step" on the sink didn't quite fit over the socket, so it was tilted, giving me temperatures of over 70C. I dismantled it & adjusted the socket pin & the problem was solved.

It could also be thermal paste. Did you apply any in your system?

But again, it could just be faulty readouts, Asus probe for example are notorious for this sort of thing :). So if you haven't already done so, try out Motherboard Monitor, or maybe just goto your BIOS & confirm that the temperatures are accurate.

Megatron2k3

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2003
Yes the HSF is on right i checked many times and took it off and replaced. Yes i put paste on it, as thin as i could get. and i checked bios temp before i posted the first post.

svol

Champion
Which board do you use? Some baords use the on-core thermal diode which displays insane high temps most of the time. Also the socket thernal sensor is often uncalibrated and can show temps that are far off.

Touch your heatsink when running the PC? If it doesn't feel hot and it makes proper contact with the CPU just ignore the temp reading.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek:

EvenFlow

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2002
Is touching the heatsink a good way of ascertaining whether or not the CPU is running too hot? At the moment my XP2000 ( not overclocked ) is running at 55C under load. I would expect it to be lower as I have 3 case fans ( 1 outlet at the back, 1 blowing in on the side and another blowing in infront ). I have a volcano9 ( fan running at about 3000rpm ), when I touch the HSF it does'nt feel hot at all and with the setup I have I would expect the CPU to be running cooler, any thoughts?

P.S Case temp is about 33C.

svol

Champion
Well it is just a method to see if what the onboard diode is accurate. But it also depends where you touch the heatsink... try to touch it at the base as close as possible to where the CPU core is located.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek: