Good CPU fans these days?

Ixpah

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2003
I'm upgrading to a P4 3.2ghz cpu, yet I haven't been paying attention to the latest heatsink/fans out there... any suggestions on what I should get? I don't plan to overclock at all, and my current tower is already stocked with fans, but it can still get pretty hot in here, so I want to keep this thing at least relatively cool.

"Might be it might, and might be it mightn't, but it wont if it ain't a mind to." -The Great Antwon

YYZ_Slayer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003
If your not planning to overclock, the stock intel HSF is just fine.

If you havent smoked up at least one component of your system, you havent pushed hard enough!!!

YYZ_Slayer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003
If your not planning to overclock, the stock intel HSF is just fine.

If you havent smoked up at least one component of your system, you havent pushed hard enough!!!

Ixpah

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2003
Yes, but I'm buying the chip seperately from the motherboard, so I'm doubting it'll come with a fan.

"Might be it might, and might be it mightn't, but it wont if it ain't a mind to." -The Great Antwon

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
If you're buying a retail CPU, it has to come with a fan. It doesn't matter if you're not buying a motherboard or not.

I hate Computers! I could only overclock my Barton 2500+ to 2645mhz. My Radeon 9700pro core/mem speed won't go above 410/720. I really hate computers!

Ixpah

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2003
I'm buying it from the OEM, like I did my current cpu, which didnt come with a fan.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
I have a 3ghz one that did come with the stock hsf, but I personally don't like it. Its loud and not that great at cooling.

Could we get a good suggetion for a good,

1. Quiet hsf model

2. Top of the line cooling model

Put out 2 cause I'm guessing the other guy wants cooling (most do) where as I want decent cooling but silent running.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Cool thanks. BTW, while I'm at it, if I replace the FSB fan, should I get one of those crystal orb's I've heard ppl meantion a lot, or is there a quieter solution to replace the Abit IC7 FSB fan?

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Oh, also, on top of the FSB question above, I have a question about removing the old HSF. I had it put on with AS3. How do I safely remove the old HSF, and how much AS3 do I actually use when I put the new one on?

svol

Champion
Well AS3 is not a glue so removing the HSF wouldn't be that difficult. Then clean the core with some rubbing alcohol and a paper towel, after that applie a paper thin layer of AS3. Then place the new HSF.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek: