grace

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy.rpg (More info?)

Hi!

I am editor at a new site called GamersInfo.net. No, we haven't
launched yet, but we will on August 1st. We have the backing of
several businesses in the industry including Garage Games Studios,
Gameshadow, Incan Monkey God Studios, members of Near Death Studios
and "crosses fingers" Prima.

Our goal is to develop a site based 90% on reviews, 10% on previews
and interviews. We want to have no less than one new original review
per day. We are not a news site. We're not journalists. But, we are
looking for a few writers to join us! The benefits? You get to be
press and get the occasional free game. Sorry, we all volunteer. But,
dang, we have fun.

Some of us are experienced website managers and network managers. Some
of us are game developers. Some of us are students. Some of us have
been game reviewers in the past. But ALL of us are game players. We
play games for the love of games and for no other reason.

We're hoping to create something a little bit different. We don't want
to assign a value to a game. "This game is a 2. This game is a B+.
This one is a 5.75." Our reasoning behind this is it doesn't tell you
about what is most important – the player PLAYING the game. Two
players reviewing the same game can have wildly differing opinions
based upon likes/dislikes, experience in the genre and ability to play
the game.

Me personally, I am terribly at console games. I simply don't have the
dexterity. But, I can recognize the difference between my own
ineptness and a difficult game and I can also realize when I'm having
fun despite being all thumbs!

We think that's what's makes reviews important – the person reviewing
them.

We also believe that games aren't quite reviewed properly and (as many
of us are former members of the press) we'd like to work on changing
that. To that end, we've set up a set of criteria for our reviews:
· No game (unless a web game like Popcap) shall be reviewed in 4 days.
It's impossible to know the game. Our reviews will take 10-30 days
depending on the depth of the game.
· No game shall be compared to another game unless it is a sequel. All
games should be reviewed on their OWN merits and you run the risk of
the player not understanding the comparison.
· We believe in "contextual" reviews. What we mean by this is that the
review will be based upon you, the player. How did YOU find the
gameplay, graphics, UI, sound, etc and did you have FUN. If this were
a game beyond your skills yet you liked it, would you recommend it for
a rental? If it's within your skills would you recommend to buy it and
if so why?
· We have writer profiles that give information about the writer.
Personal information they're willing to share. History of video game
experience, favorite games, genres, etc. But, most importantly a short
profile of the TYPE of player they are. Are you a hardcore shooter
player or do you enjoy social games? Do you like RTSs but find that
you're bad at them because you micromanage too much? Who is the
writer?
· Massively Multiplayer Online Games we review completely different
than most news outlets. We have multiple players blog their
experiences each night – a few sentences to a book depending on the
night's events – and then every 2-3 weeks and editor writes a summary
review. We do this for 90-120 days. Then, 6-9 months later we come
back and do this again. It's a failing of we in the media, that we
don't revisit games that change monthly or even weekly!
· We review not only children's games, but games that are appropriate
for children. (A T rating that is ok for an 8-year old)
· NO GAME is too old to be reviewed. If it can be had, new or used,
budget or out of a dusty box and you like it, review it. Someone else
may have missed it 5 years ago. And some games simply stand the test
of time, period.
· ANY and ALL games can and should be reviewed more than once by
multiple readers for all of the reasons stated above.

We feel the above will make more useful reviews. If two of our writers
review a game and one loves it while the other hates it - but, then
you review their profile and find the one who hates it plays games
just like you – well, then that's the review you want to trust. I hope
all this makes sense. :)

The MOST important part of your review is your concluding paragraph.
Since we're not using a rating system, the conclusion about the game
as a whole must be in the context of the REVIEWER. What I mean by this
is that if you read my profile you'll note that I'm at FPSs. Right
now, I'm working on Transformers. After a week I'm still in the
training area - I'm just SO bad with the controls. But, the fact is I
find the game incredibly maneuverable, some of the graphics are really
impressive and the UI is designed so that even though I don't' use it
well, I understand it just fine. So, once I get OUT of the training
area and see some more of the world my summary will include something
to the effect of "if you're like me and have poor dexterity, I'd
suggest this game as rental for a few nights of fun frustration and
just the chance to be Optimus Prime. However, if you're good with
consoles, this game has much to offer in the way of replayability,
graphics, story and fun. For you, its a must-have".

Now, we're not asking for English majors. We have editors to help with
that (although please, spell check?!) We want enthusiasm and a love
for the game.

So, if you're interested in joining us as a "regular' staff member
we'd love to have you.

If you find you want to write ONE review about your favorite game
ever, that would be wonderful as well. We ENCOURAGE reader
submissions. - even one-time only.

Below you'll find a list of games we'd like to get reviews on – many
are old, some are new. This is not a requirement, but a list of
suggestions.

Write something for us and sent it to staffing@gamersinfo.net. We'll
read it, talk to you about what you'd like to do and go from there.

And in case you hadn't noticed, we're excited!

Some game suggestions (but do ANYTHING you want and send it in a .txt
or .rtf file to staffing@gamersinfo.net) These are just so you know we
want new as well as old. Xbox as well as Dreamcast. Web games, cell
games...GAMES!

Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies
Animal Crossing
Armored Core 3
Blinx
BloodRayne
Bujingai: The Forsaken City
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
Dead or Alive 3
Dead to Rights
Devil May Cry
Doom II
Dynasty Warriors 3
Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel
Final Fantasy - Anything
Full Spectrum Warrior
Ghost Master
Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
Hitman: Contracts
LaPucelle Tactics
Legend of Zelda - Anything
Mega Man Legends
Metal Gear Solid
Midnight Club: Street Racing
NCAA Football: 2004
NCAA Football: 2005
Painkiller
Paper Mario
Pikmin
Ratchet and Clank
Resident Evil 2
Roller Coaster Tycoon 2
Roller Coaster Tycoon 2: Whacky Worlds
Shadow Ops: Red Mercury
The Sims - Anything
Soldiers: Heroes of WWII
Soul Calibur
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
Super Mario Bros Deluxe
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon - Anything
Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6 - Anything
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell - Anything
Van Helsing
X-Men vs Street Fighter
Yu-Gi-Oh Anything

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

staffing@gamersinfo.net (Grace) wrote in message news:<7f4d760e.0407210216.10967452@posting.google.com>...
> <snip>
> Write something for us and sent it to staffing@gamersinfo.net. We'll
> read it, talk to you about what you'd like to do and go from there.
>
> And in case you hadn't noticed, we're excited!
> <snip>

It's chocobo training season, and no one has the leisure for games, or
writing thereof, or so they say!

kelticdreams3@hotmail.com (Steve) wrote in message news:<981a0e3e.0407211032.6562c056@posting.google.com>...
> staffing@gamersinfo.net (Grace) wrote in message news:<7f4d760e.0407210216.10967452@posting.google.com>...
> > <snip>
> > Write something for us and sent it to staffing@gamersinfo.net. We'll
> > read it, talk to you about what you'd like to do and go from there.
> >
> > And in case you hadn't noticed, we're excited!
> > <snip>
> >
> It's chocobo training season, and no one has the leisure for games, or
> writing thereof, or so they say!

For some reason my Chocobos are in heat at the moment, The noise they
make is to much to be able to do anything, I can't even sleep.
Bad bird naughty bird enemy away.

laters

Dj

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

djsaltynuts@mbanje.com (DJ Saltynuts) wrote in message news:<686fb8d.0407212351.21cde5ea@posting.google.com>...
> kelticdreams3@hotmail.com (Steve) wrote in message news:<981a0e3e.0407211032.6562c056@posting.google.com>...
> > staffing@gamersinfo.net (Grace) wrote in message news:<7f4d760e.0407210216.10967452@posting.google.com>...
> > > <snip>
> > > Write something for us and sent it to staffing@gamersinfo.net. We'll
> > > read it, talk to you about what you'd like to do and go from there.
> > >
> > > And in case you hadn't noticed, we're excited!
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > It's chocobo training season, and no one has the leisure for games, or
> > writing thereof, or so they say!
>
> For some reason my Chocobos are in heat at the moment, The noise they
> make is to much to be able to do anything, I can't even sleep.
> Bad bird naughty bird enemy away.
>
> laters
>
> Dj

Shooing Chocobos seldom works. The most effective way to chill hot
Chocobos is to get ahold of a guitar, and serenade them with Barry
Manilow tunes. Of course, if your not musical, you can always Lude
them, but the Brady strategy guides say that isn't humane, and is much
to be avoided. ZzZzZzZz

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy.rpg (More info?)

> > > It's chocobo training season, and no one has the leisure for games, or
> > > writing thereof, or so they say!
> >
> > For some reason my Chocobos are in heat at the moment, The noise they
> > make is to much to be able to do anything, I can't even sleep.
> > Bad bird naughty bird enemy away.
> >
> > laters
> >
> > Dj
>
> Shooing Chocobos seldom works. The most effective way to chill hot
> Chocobos is to get ahold of a guitar, and serenade them with Barry
> Manilow tunes. Of course, if your not musical, you can always Lude
> them, but the Brady strategy guides say that isn't humane, and is much
> to be avoided. ZzZzZzZz

There must be something wrong with the buggers, Barry mManilow just
made them worse, I'm now hunting for my Simon and Garfunkal book to
see if that works.......sigh!......

laters

Dj